Fabricating a switch panel for my Nitrous system! - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fabricating a switch panel for my Nitrous system!
Sunday, April 10, 2005 11:42 PM
Alright well here's some pics. I got to working on my button panel for my nitrous express system I wanted to go custom on this set up. SO... I decided to take out one of my center air vents. I got all off the Fabrication done today it turned out really nice and im more than pleased with it! Tell me what you think.

First i made a square bigger than the area i needed to work with, then i cut the peice of fiberglass to fit, as seen above.

Then I used Bondoglass to mould the peice into place and make it flow with the contour of the dash. I did it twice, the second time after sanding the area near level, to fill in holes and divots that sometimes happen.

This is after the 2nd application of glass, and sanding.. i've also marked the holes to drill for the 3 of the 4 toggle switches. I don't have the 4th switch yet, it will fit on the left of the other 3. It's the system arming switch.

This is just about the final pic, with the buttons in place. as you see a spot is left open for the nitrous arming switch It's just about finished i have to get some bondo and apply some, then sand, Primer, paint & Clear!

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine

Re: Fabricating a switch panel for my Nitrous syst
Sunday, April 10, 2005 11:58 PM
make sure you do something with the vent behind that or the heat coming on it will mess stuff up

Monday, April 11, 2005 12:34 AM
Yeah, i know. Already got it covered, I cutt the vent back about 3-4" and taped it off w/ thermal tape that's a no brainer. b/c #1 the switches woudl get way to hot and probably melt them & #2 the room for the wires wouldbe very cramped.

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.
-Saint Augustine
Monday, April 11, 2005 2:15 PM
here's a pic of the arming switch. I just wanted something clean looking and the buttons stock styled but nice and different. Besides the system arming button. Which looks like this....

This switch we.. similar it has a black cover, not a fake CF cover.... but you get the gest of it. That's the final button I need. the other buttons light up they have a blue LED in them as well, w/ a tiny circle at the top in which shows you the powers on or off. I know it'll look great when it's all painted and stuff. You can bet i'll have pics up of it

-Saint Augustine
Monday, April 11, 2005 2:55 PM
Looks good, but I would have tried to match the curve so that it didn't look like anything was there before hand, and it could have came that way stock. Thats what I did with mine, only there are two gauges there instead of a bunch of switches

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, April 11, 2005 3:33 PM
Problem with that being the buttons need to be mounted to a flat surface. It doesnt look bad at all, especially when it will be painted. Curved surface would be easy with a gauge set up b/c you graft that in, as for the switches they need to be mounted on a flat surface so it will be flush if not it'd look goofy. I didnt want to get anymore fancy with it than i did. Just wanted it to look nice. It really doesnt look all that bad, once it's primered/painted/cleared i'll be snapping more pics

-Saint Augustine
Monday, April 11, 2005 8:40 PM
Troll wrote:Problem with that being the buttons need to be mounted to a flat surface... Curved surface would be easy with a gauge set up b/c you graft that in, as for the switches they need to be mounted on a flat surface...
If you set a gauge in a gauge pod, that's a flat surface. You can graft the switches in just like you can graft a gauge in. Only part of the switch will be recessed.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search