Removing Trunk Tensionors, and Replaceing w/ Strut - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Removing Trunk Tensionors, and Replaceing w/ Strut
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 6:34 PM
Alright, i did search and didnt find what i was looking for.. I installed new 6x9s a couple months back and after installed i realize they were rubbing the tenson bars.. Now i've read some people just bent them to fit around.. but i am custom mounting them directly into the metal and ditching the plastic mount..so bending them most likely wont fix it enough where i ruin the bars when i bend them.. decided to mount to the metal because i don't want to cut into my freshly wrapped rear deck.. and want to keep them hidden.. Now the 97 Plymouth breeze i drive has like the hood struts on the trunklid that when i pop the trunk.. the struts lift and hold the trunk up.. I was just curious has anyone removed the tension bars and mounted a trunk lift strut(or hood strut) on their trunklid? Now i was only going to use one but i planned to bolt like a support beam between the 2 arms to keep them even and from flexing.. or would it be better to use 2? Also just curious to where and how some of u mounted them on your trunk? Pics would be great!

If i missed this in the search.. well my bad..

Re: Removing Trunk Tensionors, and Replaceing w/ S
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 6:40 PM
i will post pics of the struts on my vert tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:03 PM
I can't wait to see them.

I was actually trying to find a way to use the scissor hinges that the Mazda 6 uses on it's trunk lid. I'm not fabricator though.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, February 01, 2006 7:55 PM
I'm trin to do this right now with some hood shocks out of a Buick Regal and i cant figur it out.

1998 Sunfire, 2.2L auto
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:07 PM
i was thinking of using the trunk lid struts off a grand prix, they should have a heaver lid on them and would fit nice they where pretty small, if remember right.

http://registry.gmenthusiast.com/images/my2005cav/my%20car%20the%20bash.jpg
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:56 PM
word of advice, becareful removing those tensioners. I had one go into my hand when i was removing them. Wasnt thinking of where my hand one since i was inside my trunk. so becareful and keep your hand on the OPPOSITE side.

Hedly Lemar-"What are your qualifications?" Outlaw-"Rape, murder aresen and Rape" Hedly Lemar-"You said rape twice" Outlaw-"I like rape"

From Blazing Saddles
Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:49 PM
i was thinkin bout this to. im having the speaker problem also. cant wait to see some piks of what to do

Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:01 AM
i just moved mine up... cleared the speakers.

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:04 AM
Just use the hinges and struts from a convertable car. Easy fix.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:08 AM
^^^YEAH BUT THOSE THINGS ARE HUGE....

JBO'S Mr. 64.....
Thursday, February 02, 2006 8:24 AM
listening

Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:08 PM
If you want speakers to fit perfectly on the metal part, Buy 6 x 8"s.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:20 PM
o.k. i have like 5 pictures. if someone can host for me. i am at work and can't log into a hosting site.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:21 PM
o.k. i have like 5 pictures. if someone can host for me. i am at work and can't log into a hosting site. email me if you can josh.vaughan@penske.com

Thursday, February 02, 2006 2:54 PM
Sorry it took so long to host.. 56k > me

These look like they would work.. i only have 2 concerns with them tho..
#1.) Will they easily mount on my coupe without much modification? Or will i ahve to do alot of measureing and drilling for them to mount? (not something that woould really keep me from using these.. just trying to plan it out)
#2.) Will these get in the way of mounting a rear strut bar? (Might make it a tough decision.. only becuz i dont want to modify a rear strut bar..)

I am going to try and find some more info on those 2 questions but i think i'ma be searching for some junked verts. Does anyone have the part numbers on these? If these don't work they gave me a good idea on mounting a strut on each arm.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:24 PM
Manta Z(JDM Approved by JoeDM) wrote:
#1.) Will they easily mount on my coupe without much modification? Or will i ahve to do alot of measureing and drilling for them to mount? (not something that woould really keep me from using these.. just trying to plan it out)

Well after talking to jokr back and forth through emails i think we have realized these hinges will fit on my coupe without problem. There are 3 bolts that hold each arm and tension bar setup to the cpillar(i think its c).. i think 2 of the 3 bolts will allow the hinge to bolt right up. Also the hinges bolts to the same exact holes on the trunklid.. it was only in the trunk and c-pillar where i was concerned on how it would fit. So im going to be doing some calling around tomma for some part numbers or find a couple in junk yards.. Hopefully i can find a set cheap and just use to check if it is a complete bolt on.

Pic of my coupe and the 3 bolts that i will hopefully be able to use with the hinges

Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:27 PM
forgot to add. don't quote me on that these hinges will be 100% bolt on.. we both have kinda looked at it and jokr said he is bout 80% sure theyll fit perfect, and im in the same range with him. I will try and verify if i can find a set of these pretty cheap..

Thursday, February 02, 2006 4:50 PM
I not sure if any of you thought of this. Just one linbear actuator will make this all real easy. Plus looks sweet the slow open and close. And i think can be used with auto trunk realease with some manipulation. I know the actuators are kinda high. Yet seems some people on here have unlimited funds. I already junked my vert or else i would have those hinges.

Another day in the life of a J-body Owner has come upon us
Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:06 PM
ZGlistening24 wrote:I know the actuators are kinda high. Yet seems some people on here have unlimited funds.

Nope not me.. actually actuators where what i first thought of.. but the price was to much for me to look forward too. but i did like the idea of automatic open and close.. but i dont think they would close quick enough sometimes..

Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:11 PM
there are a few concerns with linears. 1 if it breaks you are @!#$. 2 it is a major pita when you are in a hurry. 3 you will have to get rid of your factory latch. while this seems like a decent coprimise remeber if you get rid of the latch there is always no guarantee that your actuator will go down one day. and you will be forced to have your trunk open. after that if you set a acutator up on each side it would be close to $400. it isn't worth it to me and i actually have actuators sitting around i can use.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:13 PM
Manta please tell me that picture is upside down and on the rear deck.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:17 PM
of my car? (green one) or the one showing the vert hinges? cuz the vert hinges were takin by jokr and those were taken from standing outside and into the trunk that way.. the green one is taking from facing backwards in the driverside seat

Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:24 PM
doh!! I see the defroster on the glass now. keep us posted i have wanted to do this myself. never even knew the vert had gas struts on it.

Thursday, February 02, 2006 5:37 PM
^^ me niether till this post.. i will def keep this post updated if i can find some hinges this weekend.

Also does anyone have a 1996 Keyless Entry remote? i really need one of those too and i have looked on ebay and searched and havent be able to find shet..

Friday, February 03, 2006 7:46 AM
This was discussed a lomg time ago.

If you want Vert trunk hinges. The down side however, is they take up MORE space then the sedan and coupe type.

Go find an Alero or something like that, take its trunk hinges, that will work much better.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search