98 cavalier gauge cluster swap - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 cavalier gauge cluster swap
Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:40 AM
I was wondering if I could swap a gauge cluster w/o tach for one with tach in my 98 cavalier. I have searched, but I couldn't find anything year specific, and I know about the theft lock issues and how to fix them but what I got from that is that it was with the 99+. I just wanted to make sure I could do it with my year and model, and be certian it would work. Also would I just have to plug the wires in that are in my current cluster, or is there some other wiring I would have to do?? Thanks.

Re: 98 cavalier gauge cluster swap
Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:11 PM
no it's a complete swap, just be sure to get a gauge cluster from a 96-98 cavalier. You can get one from a 99 too but make sure it's not a digital odometer if you have a mechanical odometer. All you have to do is unplug your original harness and plug in the new one. Your mileage will probably be off, but if you know how and are careful, you can take out the mileage on your current cluster and put it on the new cluster. That's what i did when i had my 98. It was pretty simple.

Friday, March 17, 2006 6:53 AM
ok, thanks

Monday, June 26, 2006 9:10 AM
I was just thinking about doing this... but wouldn't there be an extra plug somewhere in order for the tach to work...???
Monday, June 26, 2006 10:25 AM
ReViVeDcLoWn 84 wrote:I was just thinking about doing this... but wouldn't there be an extra plug somewhere in order for the tach to work...???

no

just plug and play and the tach magically works

Monday, June 26, 2006 12:25 PM
my 98 has a digital odometer is that rare?

Monday, June 26, 2006 2:09 PM
cool, does anybody know of anyone selling any 98 cluster's w/ tach??? i've tried my salvage yards around town and they are telling me $135 bucks for it...
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:34 PM
does a 98 cavalier auto 3spd cluster interchange with a auto sunfire cluster?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search