Ecotec Oil Pressure Sender Install - Help! - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Oil Pressure Sender Install - Help!
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 5:38 PM
Yes I've searched, and also I searched again.

Tried to install the oil pressure sender that came with gauge today, removed one of the plugs on the side of the block, and went on my way. Well after 4 hours and 11 stores, I've been told that the thread in the block is non-standard. Therefore I'm F'd. What is everyone else doing to install this after market gauge in the Eco?

Re: Ecotec Oil Pressure Sender Install - Help!
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 7:41 AM
Need an AutoMeter adapter 2278 - 1/8", NPT To M12x1 3/4
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 7:46 AM
Also get the AutoMeter Install kit #3227 which will give you the line adapters for it the sender

If you bought an autometer gauge just call them and they send all this info plus pictures for the install.
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 1:40 PM
Ok, thanks. I didn't buy an autometer gauge, bought cyberdyne (I wanted digital), so all I need is the adapter.
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:06 PM
good luck - I am having almost the exact same problem hooking up my Speedhut O/P gauge, called Autometer when I read this thread to make sure the part would work on an 03 Ecotec. The guy at Autometer was a d**k, wanted to know why I bought from Speedhut and then called them to get help hooking it up. He tried to tell me that I had to buy an Autometer O/P gauge for the adaptor to work...

Now I really don't know what to do.

Not trying to thread jack - just sharing a problem we are both having...

(listens)

Blue Cav Customs has been ABSORBED! By A Plus Performance!
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:13 PM
Well I certainly don't see why the autometer adapter won't work for you as well, I just went to autometer's website, found the dealers in my area, and now I'm on my way for a fun 2 hour drive thru Toronto traffic, someone more local can order but I don't feel like waiting a week and a half for it.

Good Luck...
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:32 PM
let me know how it turns out!

Steve
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 6:43 PM
Well that was a fun filled 4 hours of driving (NOT!!) Anyways, I have the adapter and will install tomorrow after work, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jim
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 8:59 PM
I thought you were going to say, drove 4 hours and they did not have the part, and be completly pissed off.

Glad you got it. The adapter will work as for waht you need. Was not sure what gague you had so I just posted the install kit as well, though the install kit is really just a remote line kit with adapters.

Good luck
Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:54 AM
Well, when I did my O/P install. I took out the stock sender, on the front of the block, by the starter, and put a t-fitting there then put both the aftermarket and the stock one on that t-fitting.

Works just fine, mine was a Glow-Shift gauge...Not the best but it works OK...lights up in all kinds of purty colors! Purple Haze, Red Ruby, etc.

PM me, if you would on what your start-up O/P reading is....mine 85-90 PSI cold.

also your reading at WOT....mine....100 PSI + sometimes hot or cold!

At idle all warmed up...Im at about from 55-70 PSI, depending on the day, and the driving I'm doing.

Thanks, and hope that info helped a little. Thats just what I did..But I have heard of that before, in that location...Id also like to see picts on that! Everyone always talks about this plug on the back of the block...where the heck is it..a pict would help!

Silver Stripey makes your Day!
Thursday, May 25, 2006 7:01 PM
Well it installed with no problem, although I had to put a street elbow on the adapter to make enough room for the sender.

The pressure reading's sure seem awfully low to me, generally around 12 to 15 psi while driving warm. 21 to 25 when cold, If I stop at a redlight - O psi???

Perhaps the plug is not a good place for the sender?

I had thoughts of tee'ing off the stock sensor as well, but no idea where it is. The dealer just before they removed me from the lot, said it was on the back of the block - I can't find it. The parts store I went to said it was in the oil pan! - Does anyone know where it is located in an Ecotec? I'd like to try connecting it there and see what reading's I get, If someone could post a picture of it's local would be great.

Jim

Friday, May 26, 2006 4:49 AM
Yea, those readings are low.

It should be top right from driver side view out of the 4 screws to remove.

If you search the board you will find pics from others that did the install.
Friday, May 26, 2006 1:44 PM
Ya that's where I put it, top one towards the firewall. This morning I had 55psi at startup and about 65 when on the gas, but once it warmed up it was right back down in the mid teens, and 0 at idle. I did find out that the stock sensor is below the oil filter housing on the Ecotec, but it looks to me that the intake manifold would have to be removed to get at it. I don't know what's involved with that?
Friday, May 26, 2006 7:57 PM
No, the intake doesn't have to come off....I did it, and it was not real hard. But, No, THE INTAKE doesn't HAVE TO COME OFF!, maybe the starter only, to measure for clearance, but thats about it.

Silver Stripey makes your Day!
Friday, May 26, 2006 8:15 PM
Ya it was raining here today so I didn't have a real long look, but there sure didn't seem like it's going to be any fun to get at.

Do you happen to remember what size the hole is? Is it 1/8" NPT?
Saturday, May 27, 2006 1:41 PM
On mine, I just t'd off from the stock pressure switch, installed the aftermarket sender, and I'm good to go. Just an idea for ya (I had to tear down the front part of my engine to do it. I have some pics if you want them.)
Rob

Monday, July 07, 2008 6:08 AM
The Oil Pressure Gauge and Sender are surprisingly easy to install for the 2.2L Ecotec motor.
First-Purchase Mechanical Autometer Gauge which should include the sender.
Second-Purchase the AutoMeter adapter 2278 - 1/8", NPT To M12x1 3/4.
Third-Wire gauge and install pod
Fourth-While the engine is off, on the engine head, drivers side, closest to the firewall, there is a hexhead bolt, Remove it and replace with the adapter and oil sender. It's visible and very easy to see and do. Minor fabrications might be necessary.
Fifth-You should be good to go. The pressure initially when you start up should be around 60 Idle PSI to 80 Throttle PSI. After the car is driven and warms up, the pressure will then decrease and should not go lower than around 20 PSI.
Monday, July 07, 2008 6:48 AM
I apologize, I meant to say Purchase the ELECTRICAL gauge. Do not use mechancial gauges unless you want potential extremely hot oil in your face.
Tuesday, July 08, 2008 11:06 AM
I have a Autometer Electric oil gauge..When motor is cold.Using 5/30 Mobil1..It reads 55 to 60 PSI,When hot reads just over 15 PSI All the time,At 5500 to 7 Thousand RPM It reads a Max of 25 PSI..All these reading are from the Side of the block...Gm spec is 100 psi a 1000 RPM..I think they are getting this reading right at the pump..But I found with my old Mechanical my readings were lower..So I switched to Electric..That and the fact of bringing Hot oil into the car always bugged the hell out of me...
Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:47 PM
super old thread bump...isnt the OP sender line 1/8th inch NPT on both end? 1 end male 1 end female? this kit says is an fittings...do the translate over?

Monday, May 16, 2011 6:42 PM
anyone?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search