How To Change the color of your 95-99 cluster gauges w/ LED's - Page 4 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To Change the color of your 95-99 cluster gauges w/ LED's
Friday, May 04, 2007 4:32 AM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:
cavalierkid02 wrote:to help everyone with 00+ cavs

i need to get some interior parts off my friends wrecked cav anyways we both have 02's so i will pull the cluster out and figure out how to put blue leds in the 00+ and post pics and do a write up on how to do it on them

is it safe to pull the needles off to scrape the orange off them or will i have problems with them?

IT IS NOT SAFE TO REMOVE NEEDLES ON 00+ GAUGES

you will ruin the cluster by doing so

it's not safe to remove needles on any j

i need to fix mine still, temp is way off and rpms 500 higher than supposed to be

http://www.myspace.com/fpsunfire

5 seconds to find another street...

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:42 AM
Got a bunch of them ordered yesterday. I'll post pics when I get them in the car!

Quantity: 4
Product: WLED 5-LED Wide Angle LED bulb $ 2.99 (each)
Options: Red

Quantity: 2
Product: 74 Wedge Base LED bulb $ 1.19 (each)

Options: Amber

Product: 3157-25 LED bulb $ 7.95 (each)

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 7:39 PM

www.superbrightleds.com ftw! I love the way it came out.

FOR SALE
Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:46 PM
now we just need a write up for the 2000 and up guage color change... someone please
Friday, May 25, 2007 8:11 PM
Yeah if anyone has any info on how to do this on a 2000 that would be great and pics would help out a lot
Saturday, May 26, 2007 1:49 PM
I started another thread for help finding the 1/2" panel socket in Canada. I found them (with tip from MR.Dirtbag) and here's some more info to help any fellow Canadians get this piece. Carquest, don't bother. Canadian tire $4 cdn each made by Pyroil part #20-5398-6. Also came across a website in the US oem surplus 911 part #8522 (PS-22) they'll ship into Canada USPS I think they charge $3 US for a set of two, don't know how much to ship. They also seem to associate a GM part number to the piece #12004311, but when I searched on Gm part sites I got mixed results so I don't know about that.
Friday, June 01, 2007 7:44 AM
Kevin Richter wrote:Got a bunch of them ordered yesterday. I'll post pics when I get them in the car!

Quantity: 4

Product: 74 Wedge Base LED bulb $ 1.19 (each)

Options: Amber

Product: 3157-25 LED bulb $ 7.95 (each)

What is the name of the company you bought these from, is there a website?

Friday, June 01, 2007 10:41 AM
Drifted Cavy aka: Suicidal Cav wrote:
www.superbrightleds.com ftw! I love the way it came out.

Quote:

What is the name of the company you bought these from, is there a website?

Answer 3 posts on top of your question bro!

FOR SALE
Friday, June 01, 2007 8:03 PM
ive got a 96 sunfire, i want to get the gauges to a more orangeish color...would i be better off going with the white 5 l.e.ds wide angles, or something like yellow 5 l.e.ds wide angles. im trying for orange color, brighter than stock, and will it effect the needles?
Friday, June 01, 2007 9:50 PM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:
cavalierkid02 wrote:
is it safe to pull the needles off to scrape the orange off them or will i have problems with them?

IT IS NOT SAFE TO REMOVE NEEDLES ON 00+ GAUGES

you will ruin the cluster by doing so

I hope to be getting my 2000 Cavalier Wednesday and I was wondering. Could I use a dremle took with a small head to scrape the film off the needles without taking them off?
Also Does anyone know if the needles do in fact have to be to put in th the LEDs.

If it's not too much Trouble can I also ask how removing the Needles ruins the cluster? If anyone can give me some of these details that would be great. My father has a masers degree in electronics so I'm thinking he could pull this off. He is The Maser at Saudering. He's put in 3 or 4 X-box Mod-Chips (Perfectly Legal) Which requires the most delicate saudering I've even seen
Thanks

Saturday, June 02, 2007 12:17 PM
do you have to put all 4 in before it turns blue because i was doing it and i put one in to just check it and it didnt come on so i was sorta confused

Saturday, June 02, 2007 3:48 PM
Someone also asked about the clear a/c Nobbs during the day and here's a pic I found

Saturday, June 02, 2007 4:36 PM
Derek wrote:ive got a 96 sunfire, i want to get the gauges to a more orangeish color...would i be better off going with the white 5 l.e.ds wide angles, or something like yellow 5 l.e.ds wide angles. im trying for orange color, brighter than stock, and will it effect the needles?

Not sure, but the yellow leds would probably be your best bet. A white led would just make the red brighter.

Monday, June 04, 2007 4:04 AM
I replaced the entire guage face on my 94 camaro back in the day. It was some sort of flame white face that RkSport sold. after it was finished I had some bad-ass looking faces but only half my needles worked... After the install, my fuel gauge was somehow cut in half... Like my halfway full was EMPTY. and it didnt go lower than that. My rpms would stick and catch... The only thing that worked was my MPH and temp, just so I could see when it was about to overheat... I had alot of cooling problems with that car.. But not to get off subject, I advise anyone to NOT remove the needles if ever you can... It is a little gamble to ever get them back to where they were. And I tried and retried to place them light as could be on the pin and still same result... Lesson learned from me. I bet the guy that bought my car had to have taken it to a professional and spent too much money on just recalibrating the needles.

Friday, June 08, 2007 6:01 PM
Well i guess i will add my interrior mod to this color fiesta...

Day time...

Night time..

I have 5 more LEDS that will be going into my remaining gauges out of my 7. I have a 12 led dome light now too... woo hoo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, June 08, 2007 6:03 PM

Saturday, June 09, 2007 3:37 PM
well..i know you guys have been wanting to see my interior..since i AM the one that made the post well i finally got some ok pics so let me know how you like them..this should show the cluster pretty good..you can kinda make out the hvac

this is it with the lights on at night

here it is with the lights off and the leds and neons on

i think the mod turned out really well ..what do you guys think??

Saturday, June 09, 2007 3:59 PM
Wow! That looks amazing! Thanks for the pics that's just awesome!

Saturday, June 09, 2007 8:14 PM
Damn Section8. Thats a badass interior. Kicks ass. No lights in the a-pillar gauges though?
Sunday, June 10, 2007 1:45 AM
they are indiglo..dont really match the blue too well..but they run on a differnt switch ..that i forgot to turn on for the pics sorry

Sunday, June 10, 2007 4:55 PM
I see all these nice pictures of dark red clusters. What years are these done on. I changed my 99 Z with red 5 Led wedge and now have a purpleish pink color which I assumed would happen because my stock guages always had a very light blue tint to them. How come no one has mentioned that? Is this blue backing only on the 99 model Z's or are all like that and I was supposed to somehow remove the blue film backing ,if there is one to remove? Any info guys?
Sunday, June 10, 2007 5:06 PM
ive never seen a blue film on the gauges..anyone else seen this?

Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:53 PM
great write up plane on doing mine as soon the leds come in also has any one used just colored bulbs and if so how did they turn out. Just converted my 99 dash to a 2001 so i have the cluster out

Monday, June 11, 2007 4:12 AM
I dont' know if its a film backing or not but when you take out the whole cluster pod and look into it from the back all my numbers have a blue tint but I can't tell if it's a full piece that is inserted into the back of the pod or if it's the just each number is that color. Nothing was changed before hand, I bought my car like this stock.
Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:49 AM
So I just got my LED's in the mail yesterday and I thought Id save some time and call ahead to the parts stores to have them pull the instrument panel sockets and save em for me. Well turns out, NOBODY has these in stock. The only place I found them was partsamerica.com. So now Im gonna have to wait another week to do this to my Z

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:59 AM
that sucks..they were hard to find around here as well..i had to go to several differnt stores before i found enough of them..funny cus the cluster isnt the only place GM uses them

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search