Seat Belt Torx bit size? - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Seat Belt Torx bit size?
Tuesday, April 08, 2008 11:21 PM
I want to take the passenger side (from a coupe) seat belt. just the part that is near the center console, the "female" end. It is a bit longer than the female ends on the back seat and I need 2 longer ones to fit my GTO seats utilizing the stock bolts. I also want to change the belts from tan to graphite.

However, I dont know what size torx bit they are.

Does anyone know? I dont want to go in and out of ace 100 times returning a size I dont need, know?

Thanks for the help!

Re: Seat Belt Torx bit size?
Tuesday, April 08, 2008 11:37 PM
i forget the size of them but i know they are about the hardest bolts to remove in the interior. They have alot of lock tight on them
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:03 AM
I was able to get the strap side off (the bolt under the door on both sides) with a pair of pliers. Yes it was hard, but it NEEDED to be done.

I will also use the torx bit to torque them to spec as well. Does any one know how many million ft/lbs they are?
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:07 AM
^^ true dat. i stripped the @!#$ out of mine. i got a pair of decent sized vise grips, got em on there as tight as i could and gave it hell, lol. besides that, i believe it is either a T47 or T50. i just tightened mine as tight as i could get it, i didnt worry too much about trying to torque it down, it aint goin nowhere lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:08 AM

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:45 AM
I go into the ACE by my house about 1000 times/week, im sure they would let me test fit if I were to bring out 2 only. Ill give those a shot.

I would like to at least be able to use a ratchet or bar to tighten the bolts down, yes they wont move as is probably ever, but I want to be 100% sure, i couldnt get them too tight with my channel-locks, I kept slipping, so a nice correctly sized bit and a bar should do the trick.

You really cant get a set of pliers on the passenger side "female" end either, what with the hard plastic surrounding the whole thing.

Anywho, Ill give those sizes a shot, thanks sir!

Ill post up some pics of it all when its finished as well, I got my new camera finally so I finally can do an update.

Thanks for the replies!
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 4:58 AM
its a T50 you need

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 5:08 AM
Yep, I believe its a T50. Get a good one. I destroyed my first one I got from autozone.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:29 AM
I doubt Ace will have a "good" one, but im too impatient to drive to anywhere I can get a decent tool from. -- its close enough that if I break it Ill be ok.

Thanks for the warning!
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 8:18 AM
on a related note: what size is the rear side panel one? 47?

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 8:46 AM
i just did mine in the drop top last night and it was a T47 (on the floor...didnt need to move the one on the B pillar) so im not sure if the verts were different than the coupes for sizing, but thats what i used.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:24 PM
dont know how good they are but walmart has a set of the bigger sizes for about $20 maybe about 12 pieces

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:30 PM
I did not have that much trouble taking mine off...hmmm maybe the guy before me pulled his quarter panel....interior was not painted so i dont know why he would have pulled it.

"sometimes the respect is more important..."
Sunday, April 13, 2008 7:09 PM
Im with schmidty on this.. took the ones on my verti out on saturday night, adn they were tight, but not very...
Monday, April 28, 2008 7:15 PM
On the '99 one of them is a T45 and the other is a T50 but I forget which. And the book says 35 ft / lbs for the bottom bolt and 31 for the top for those of us crazies with a torque wrench. It also says 21 for the sedan ?!?

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:42 AM
I have found on my 97 cavi, the bolt size is T47. But as the 2000+ came out it's a T50. Just found this out 2 days ago as I pulled all mine out, and was looking at a junk yard.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:03 PM
i was gonna add....my 05, both are T50

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:39 PM
04 sunfire is a T47...just took 'em out a few weeks ago

14.82 @ 97 mph
Sunday, May 04, 2008 4:23 AM
the ones in my 97 are T50. although even with the right size socket, i still ended up stripping the hell out of the bolts. \\\\9whoever was in charge of loctite should be shot and pissed on) the one on the left i had to hammer an old allen key into to get it out, the one on the right i actually ended up welding a 5/8 nut onto it and taking it out with my impact gun

its really a shame that being stupid doesn't hurt more
Monday, May 12, 2008 1:01 PM
When i took them out of my sedan, they were both t-50's. They were also hard as hell too.... jesus..

Monday, May 12, 2008 1:58 PM
whatever size you need always buy a spare, i remember taking out some seat belts at the body shop i worked at and literally shattered the bit trying.
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:00 AM
Chris Carr wrote:whatever size you need always buy a spare, i remember taking out some seat belts at the body shop i worked at and literally shattered the bit trying.

"QUOTED FOR TRUTH"

Stuff For Sale - Classified Ads - Click Here!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 8:19 AM
so I have a 2 door and want to swap my belts for charcoal ones, the top is easy but the one that holds the belt assembly at the bottom behind the rear quarter panel what size is that one, I cant seem to get my torx "T" tool to work on it, should I just get a torx driver bit instead?

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 2:25 PM
Actually, the correct bit size for most GM, Ford and Dodge seat belts and door strikers is a TX-500. It is the same size as a T-50, but the ribs are larger on each side (what you would call the teeth). These bits are nearly impossible to find these days. I used to get mine from Snap-On, but even they no longer make them. In an emergency, which is every time since I lost my TX-500, a T-50 will work. A T-50 is not an exact fit, however, which is why most of them break or strip the torx hole out.
There are some that are smaller, like T-47 and T-45, but the most common is the one you can no longer buy. In some cases, the Vise Grip idea works much better, especially when they are super tight. You can't always get a Vise Grip on the bolt head, however. In those cases, heat might work, but you have to be really careful not to set the seat belt or other interior parts on fire.
Sunday, April 10, 2011 9:33 AM
i just took a t50 and tapped the sob in there with a ball peen hammer and loosened it with a breaker bar no problem
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search