HVAC color - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
HVAC color
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:16 PM
okay so i am in the process of changing up the look of my HVAC. i ordered a few #74 bulbs online
my question is how do i make it so that the little HVAC icons arent red anymore, but clear so that they will be the color of the leds? if there is a thread for this just link me to it
thanks!

Re: HVAC color
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:17 PM
also, i have an 05 sunfire, if that is need, haha
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:37 PM
I belive that all sunfires had a red tint in the actual material of the HVAC face that is pretty much impossible to remove. Atleast that's what it was in my 97. When I did my LED's I just blacked out the icons and called it a day. You could try to get a new HVAC face from blackcatcustom.com or something, or try one off a cavalier. I'd imagine they don't have the red in them (but don't quote me on that, just guessing). Hope that helps.

Also, try searching a little bit, you'll probably turn up something more useful. Good luck.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:39 PM
yeah ive been searching ill do some more
and also just to clarify, what im asking here is if anyone know how to get rid of that red film over the icons so the true pure color comes through
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:45 PM
ethanfbm wrote:yeah ive been searching ill do some more
and also just to clarify, what im asking here is if anyone know how to get rid of that red film over the icons so the true pure color comes through

That's what I mean, I don't think it's possible to remove it. Or it wouldn't be worth the effort.

I think the ones from a cavalier are like blue or green or something (idk) so maybe you should try fitting the face of one of those on instead of the Sunfire one.

Just a suggestion.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:54 PM
where could i get one of those?
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:56 PM
The ones in a cavalier are white
So the 'true' red would show through better

If you are wanting the 'clear' knobs
all you have to do is cut the rubber surrounding and it comes off, voila clear knobs
Best ones to get clear knobs are from a 95-99 Cavy
the newer ones the edges chip off I have found

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:58 PM
oh yeah i already made my knobs clear, im just looking for the icons to be clear too so they will match the knobs when i put the blue or green LEDs in.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:01 PM
the 'icons' come right off as well if you don't care for them
just a light pull on the edge of them

If you are wanting to keep them, then you will need cavalier ones as they are white
Again I suggest getting them from a 95-99 Cavalier as the newer ones edges seem to chip off

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:03 PM
Xplicit wrote:The ones in a cavalier are white
So the 'true' red would show through better

If you are wanting the 'clear' knobs
all you have to do is cut the rubber surrounding and it comes off, voila clear knobs
Best ones to get clear knobs are from a 95-99 Cavy
the newer ones the edges chip off I have found

Ok, glad a Cavalier person could clarify that lol

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:08 PM
where could i get a cavi HVAC face plate like this?

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:11 PM
Junkyard, ebaymotors, classifieds

Thursday, February 12, 2009 11:00 AM
the cav ones have the colors painted on the back of them, which if you have a light hand and a very mild pant remover(maybe watered down nail polish remover) you can take the paint right off,
be careful however because the black is also painted on and if you press too hard with a q-tip or whatever you use orlet the remover sit on it too long, it will take the black off too, I have tried it once with decent results, I did end up taking some of the black off which looked like crap.
I have not tried it with a diluted remover solution yet, but I think it would work slower, giving better results.

good luck and use a spare one to do this, maybe pull a few while you are the the juck yard.

steve

Monday, March 02, 2009 11:34 AM
ive got a hvac plate for cavalier ill sell ya $15 shipped
Monday, March 02, 2009 12:24 PM
The Cavalier ones are a slight greenish, but it's so light that if you put LEDs behind them, they will be the color of the LED, even if it's something completely different, like red. Since you are wanting to do blue or green, you'll be fine anyway.

Monday, March 02, 2009 4:14 PM
heres a pic
Saturday, April 02, 2011 3:21 PM
didnt want to make a new thread so ill just bring this one back from the dead. the other day i put some blue leds in my hvac and cleared the faceplate. im really happy with how it turned out
night shot

day shot (very bright still)

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:47 PM
u kiddin wrote:didnt want to make a new thread so ill just bring this one back from the dead. the other day i put some blue leds in my hvac and cleared the faceplate. im really happy with how it turned out
night shot

this is exactly what i wanna do. think u could give me a ez walkthrough bro?

*~* Cavy-R *~*
*~* TEAM EPIK *~*
Monday, April 25, 2011 7:01 PM
hondakilla14 wrote:
u kiddin wrote:didnt want to make a new thread so ill just bring this one back from the dead. the other day i put some blue leds in my hvac and cleared the faceplate. im really happy with how it turned out
night shot

this is exactly what i wanna do. think u could give me a ez walkthrough bro?

Yes please, I want to do this badly to my car, but Im really worried im gonna screw some stuff up. Thanks man!!!

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:10 AM
ya no problem
-first get the bulbs -#74 in whatever colour you choose
-than remove the HVAC face and plastic piece behind it.
wrap the plastic piece in foil with the shiny side facing inwards like so

than cut some foil of for the knobs .

i actually had to cut more than shown in the pic to get the blue to shine through the cleared faceplate. i will edit a pic and show what needs to be removed.sorry for bad editing skills
the black parts are what need to be cut out.

this is what it looked like without the extra foil cut away

than to get the faceplate clear you could use a cavi one but what i did for one was peel the adhesive film off the parts i wanted to clear than with nail polish removeer i got rid of the paint. (mine didn't turn out 100% perfect. still need to go get a new one and redo it). that should look something like this
ignore the song i was listening to

than simply put it all back together and install it into the car and your done

another pic

hope this helps. if you have any other questions ask away
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:12 AM
btw the first pic is the back of the plastic piece. DO NOT CUT OUT LED HOLE ON THE FRONT OF THE PIECE or the whole foil advantage is pretty much gone

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:29 AM
iv never taken my HVAC apart... so theres a plastic peice behind the black front plate? so whats the point in covering the plastic peice in foil? is it to get even lighting? i guess ill get the whole idea better when i actualy take mine appart and see whats there for myself lol. too bad theres not a youtube vid for his lol

*~* Cavy-R *~*
*~* TEAM EPIK *~*
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:51 AM
hondakilla14 wrote:iv never taken my HVAC apart... so theres a plastic peice behind the black front plate? so whats the point in covering the plastic peice in foil? is it to get even lighting? i guess ill get the whole idea better when i actualy take mine appart and see whats there for myself lol. too bad theres not a youtube vid for his lol

i know it is more involved in a cavi to remove it but once you do pull off the kbbs and there are 4 little clips on the faceplate and all you have to do is gently lift them with a screw driver if you cant do it with your fingers. then the plastic piece sit right behind it. very easy to figure out once you have it apart. the foil is to increase the lighting output and to make it even. in another thread the guy who did it first explained it better than i could ever.

it is halfway down this page
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=45&i=68177&t=68177&p=4

also a good thread to read in general if you want to do your HVAC knobs
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:36 PM
so here is a good question. how the hell did u get the bulbs out of the sockets without them breaking????

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:58 PM
Mike Z A.K.A SNEEZY wrote:so here is a good question. how the hell did u get the bulbs out of the sockets without them breaking????

i took needle nose pilers and was really careful. i only got out unbroken. the other i broke then just grabbed onto to what was left of the bulb and pulled it out. it doesn't really matter if you break them as you as replacing them.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search