Gauge Cluster Brightness HELP - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gauge Cluster Brightness HELP
Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:40 AM
Hey guys, Im going to be buying new bulbs for my cluster from suberbrightleds.com and Im wondering about the "lumen" scale. I've looked at a couple of types of bulbs for the dash and the 5 LED wedge bulb runs at 10 lumen (http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/bulb_specs.htm) (WLED G5), and the single HO bulb runs at 45 lumen (http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/WLED-xLX.htm) (WLED GLX). My question more specifically is: If i install the HO bulb which runs at 45 lumen, am I going to be able to drive at night with them, considering the intensity of the bulb, and will I be able to dim it enough for me to be able to read the dash correctly. If anyone has installed aftermarket bulbs in their clusters and knows the lumen scale of their bulbs and has pics that would be GREATLY appreciated. Also I drive a 99 Z24, which I dont think matters.

Re: Gauge Cluster Brightness HELP
Monday, August 24, 2009 11:23 AM
Ok, well I called suberbrightleds.com, and for anyone wondering the same thing possibly they said the Lumen scale is used to measure the light immitted from the bulb meaning the higher the lumen the brighter the bulb will be, they also recommended that the HO bulb (WLED GLX) should NOT be used in a guage cluster because of its length and projection radius, the bulb will be extremely bright in places and very dim in others, and they recommended the use of the 5 LED wide angle 194 bulb for its brightness and consistant lighting area (which is 10 lumen btw)

I ordered Green and UV Black Light bulbs, and I'll try and post pics of both so you can identify which ones you think are right for your vehicle!
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:22 PM
thanx i was actually wondering this myself i didn't want to be a noob and post and get bashed lol im gonna order some then install the alum. bezel once it gets here from J_TO_ENVY
p.s how many do you need for behind the cluster?? and they are all 194??

Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:25 PM
Four, for the gauges. All 194.

There are others back there but they control other lights (CEL, ETS, turn signals, etc).

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Saturday, August 29, 2009 11:38 AM
~NiKki~ wrote:p.s how many do you need for behind the cluster?? and they are all 194??

Actually since yours is 00-05, the LED's are soldered in and require more work than simply replacing bulbs and sockets with 95-99. You could use an 00-05 Cav cluster or get a custom one from Black Cat Custom

Saturday, August 29, 2009 2:22 PM
Cruisin4DrCav wrote:Actually since yours is 00-05, the LED's are soldered in and require more work than simply replacing bulbs and sockets with 95-99. You could use an 00-05 Cav cluster or get a custom one from Black Cat Custom

Ugh, I guess that's what I get for assuming people have read the FAQ, know their cars, and won't ask a question that is irrelevant to their particular model year. Heh.

Cruisin4DrCav is 100% correct, you do not have simple, easy-to-replace 194 bulbs in your cluster.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Sunday, August 30, 2009 12:46 AM
these are all you need then replace with any 194 wedge bulb .....the price is awesume look ...... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200377636743&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search