trunk release button - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
trunk release button
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:19 PM
is there anyway to add a trunk release button to my sunfire? its a 2000 i know the 2002 and up have one but how hard would it be to add one? sometimes it can really be a pain having to turn off the car to get the key and open the trunk. it would make life a little easier

Re: trunk release button
Wednesday, May 26, 2010 3:48 AM
greenstabber wrote:is there anyway to add a trunk release button to my sunfire? its a 2000 i know the 2002 and up have one but how hard would it be to add one? sometimes it can really be a pain having to turn off the car to get the key and open the trunk. it would make life a little easier

Yes you can. I added one to my 2001 Z24. We had to splice into a wire under the dash, but works fine.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 4:00 AM
for some reason my key doesn't work in my trunk so the only way to open it is with the remote.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 7:12 AM
Which wire did u splice?
Saturday, June 12, 2010 10:54 PM
I have a 99 z24 and mine doesnt have a trunk release button either. Why do some have them and others dont? Are the ones without one supposed to have a remote for the trunk?

Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:56 AM
The ones without generally have a release button on the key fob.

99 Z24, you don't have a manual release? On the floor next to your seat? Even my 99 base had that lol

M62, 42's, ZZP 3", ZZP S3 H/E
214whp 190wtq
Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:25 AM
Nope I've looked everwhere in that car and cant find one. my gf's 99 base model has a manual release tho. I figured the previous owner or the car lot I bought it from may have lost the remote if it had one.

Monday, June 14, 2010 10:33 PM
I was amazed that my 2000 Z24 didn't have one.

I guess its nice knowing that someone can't just smash your window, pop your trunk and go to town on your equipment.

If the remote goes though I will be in the same boat as you.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 12:20 PM
Chuckles2002 wrote:Transporter did a How-To

http://www.gmscf.com/showthread.php?1592-How-To-Electric-Trunk-Release-Button-and-Auxiliary-Power-Socket&highlight=Trunk+Release

That how-to is well intended but the wiring info could be a lot better. I had to refer to my OEM shop manuals to actually identify/confirm the specific wires he was referring to as well as the polarity of the connections to the actuator.

Took me back to when someone posted a fragmentary/incomplete "how-to" in the electronics forum on how to add express up and down to power windows. They never fully laid it out (actually said so in their post) and I fortunately was able to work out the complete wiring on my own.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:25 PM
I have a 2001 base Cavalier coupe.
My remote doesn't open the trunk.
To my knowledge, I don't have a manual trunk release, even near the driver's seat.
Am I wrong?
Can someone just post a picture of where to find the manual trunk release? Maybe I've had it all along.
As it is right now, the only way for my trunk to open is with the key. Thankfully, I've made a spare and put it with my house keys, so the engine can stay running if I need to open the trunk, but I still have to get up from my seat.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:29 PM
The manual trunk release is by the seat recline handle on the drivers side located on the floor.Its a lever style similar to what you would find in older car's to release the gas door.

The momentary push button is located under the dash close to your left knee.

The link above kept crashing on me, but there's a black wire connected to the trunk actuator. It's follows along the driver side wiring harness which is wrapped with orange tape. All it needs is a 12v source, with an inline momentary switch to activate.

If you have an aftermarket alarm system, you will find this wire very easy if your key fob has the trunk release function connected.It would have been spliced into already.

Friday, June 18, 2010 8:48 PM
I was looking through that link and my trunk looks the same so I'm assuming I have electronic trunk release. Would I be able to buy another remote for it from the dealership?

Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:32 PM
just got mine rewired 00z ran a wire from the popper to the front of my car, fcuk gm for not making the damn thing with an actual button. for teh guy who said good, not like they cant pull your damn seat down.....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search