window regulators - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
window regulators
Saturday, June 26, 2010 9:39 AM
Can someone please confirm that the convertible regulators are different that the coupes? Had some listings say they were but u really doubt they are, didnt know if someone has experienced this or not.

Re: window regulators
Monday, June 28, 2010 5:56 PM
Monday, June 28, 2010 7:32 PM
that link doesnt work right
Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:53 AM
From what I understand from screwing up the work on my '96 sunfire vert, the regulators ARE different. If you end up getting one meant for a coupe. the window isnt going to go all the way up and you will have water constantly getting on your seat or in your lap while you drive... The vert windows are also slightly bigger than the coupes...

Monday, July 12, 2010 3:04 PM
This is correct and for the reason stated by Cavaclysmic. The main crank arm gear on the 'vert regulators has 5 or 6 more teeth than the coupe regulators, giving them more up/down travel. This is the only difference. The mounting points and everything else are the same. Fortunately, aftermarket window motors will fit either one. The only caveat I offer is that many aftermarket motors are better and stronger than OEM's. Since the 'verts don't have window frames, upward travel of the glass is halted by stamped metal up-stop brackets that bolt to the glass run channel (front) and guide (rear) and engage plastic stop clips fastened to the glass. Stronger (and faster) motors have a tendancy to bend the up-stop brackets over time if you continually run them full up (and fast) with the doors open. After changing several motors and straightening and adjusting brackets, I now raise the windows generally with the doors closed if I can help it. Lastly, the forward edge of the glass is isolated from the glass run channel by two plastic clips (upper and lower) that snap into holes in the glass. These clips invariably break and end up in the bottom of the door with the glass rattling loudly in the channel when the door is slammed. These clips are discontinued and unobtainium, except for one or two left in random dealers stock. I ended up using a length of felt coated rubber glass run channel (JC Whitney) in my car which works quite well, but the longevity is an unknown. - Mark

markc50...formerly 1of7627 but that login doesn't work anymore.
Monday, July 12, 2010 4:31 PM
I have an aftermarket window regulator/motor in my coupe I just recently finished installing. I had to create my own stop in the lower window track because when rolling the window down it would just go until it hit the bottom of the door frame as a stop, thus going just far enough for the slider to pop out of the track & get jammed, every time. I measured where I wanted the slider to stop (glass just below weather stripping), drilled a hole, and put a bolt/nut in there so the slider would hit that, instead of going right off the track. So keep this in mind if u install an aftermarket regulator. May need modification, lol.

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:04 PM
i ran into that when i got a regulator for my 97 gt, i went cheap and got one from ebay and had to make a stop for it as well, not to mention its noisy as hell. The whole readon i ask is Dorman make a replacment regulator that doesnt use the crappy gm motor design.
Monday, July 12, 2010 7:19 PM
haha mine was from ebay as well.... and it is pretty noisy... but 5x faster as my driver's side stock one. lol.

Monday, July 12, 2010 7:30 PM
I hope I'm not hijacking, but I have a question about my convertible regulators too. I recently replaced the passenger side motor, but when I did the clock spring jumped off the regulator. Any tips on the correct position to reinstall in. I can't remember right now why it wasn't obvious.

Sig'less since '02!
Thursday, July 15, 2010 1:36 AM
redbeansandrice wrote:I hope I'm not hijacking, but I have a question about my convertible regulators too. I recently replaced the passenger side motor, but when I did the clock spring jumped off the regulator. Any tips on the correct position to reinstall in. I can't remember right now why it wasn't obvious.

Same thing happened to me and my buddy that was installing my window motor on my girls car. Best thing i can say is just play with it, its hard as hell to explain how it went back on, but your gonna have to twist it at least once around, and your gonna need 2 people to do that. Just slip it on, and twist it at least once around, its gonna be tight as hell, but once you twist it, you should be able to see how it was suppose to go on. Just remember that its always gonna have tension on it, even fully down. I know its not much but i hope it helps.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:47 AM
I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

Sig'less since '02!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:59 AM
redbeansandrice wrote:I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

Theres a really good writeup on here on how to do this yourself. Theres a lot of steps involved, and patience is a virtue. Good luck.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:05 PM
Cavaclysmic wrote:
redbeansandrice wrote:I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks for the advice.

Theres a really good writeup on here on how to do this yourself. Theres a lot of steps involved, and patience is a virtue. Good luck.

yup!! Just becareful about your fingers if there is no stop on the regulator (which there isnt if your clock spring fell off) for the spring. From what i know it hurts like hell, bc it happened to my friend that was helping me that night lmao. Oops!!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 6:50 PM
Yeah, it popped off and cut me, it hit real hard.

Sig'less since '02!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search