Painting vinyl - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Painting vinyl
Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:31 AM
I am thinking about redoing my interior because it is just the stock tan that came with the car. Can you paint the dash and other vinyl pieces? Or will it chip off scince these pieces have give to them when you push on them.

If You Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance Baffle Them With Bullsh*t

Re: Painting vinyl
Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:41 AM
Read the FAQ first of all, it's number 1 on the list...then search too but basically yes it can be painted u can sand it down for a fiberglass look or just paint over stock, clean it prime it, then paint, the top vinyl should be dyed with vinyl dye from any auto store
Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:10 PM
According to the web site in the faq The SEM color coat can be used on vinyl and plastic so would it be better to just use it on all the plastic and vinyl in the car or use it to dye the top of the dash and other vinyl then use krylon fusion or duplicolor to paint the rest of the plastic pieces?

If You Can't Dazzle Them With Brilliance Baffle Them With Bullsh*t
Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:47 PM
SEM is much more expensive than Krylon or Duplicolor so it's more cost effective to only use it on the vinyl.

- Interior FAQ -
J-Body of Michigan -
Sunday, February 13, 2005 6:10 PM
ONLY use krylon fusion on hard plastic pieces, or else it will be sticky.

Use KRYLON on plush pieces.

If you do this, you'll have good results, if you dont and use fusion on both, break out the paint thinner and start over, been there done that.

check my site for more info

Sunday, February 13, 2005 6:23 PM
or do what i did goto and aoto paint store invest in an hvlp spray gun and have them mix the color of choice in a vinyl paint comes out awesome and flexes with the vinyl or plastic. to a point. extreme bending will cause flaking

Monday, February 14, 2005 6:27 PM
ive used SEM and krylon. SEM is bad ass krylon is ok i guess to much cleaning involved for what u hope will come out good.. with the rattle can all i can say is PREP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is the step not to skip .. use SEM find a local dealer i got my cans for 5.50 per and krylon here in my town is 4.50 (american) so whats a dollar more for a far superior product? just my buffalo nickle

beer is like a chick.. well not really its just beer, it be cool thou huh?

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:33 AM
so krylon fusion paint will work on the top large vinyl peice wit out chipping? if not does advance auto parts places carry vinyl dye?

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:13 AM
Krylon Fusion will work on the top vinyl but it is sticky as hell and really suks. I went and bought some vinyl dye from walmart after i screwed it up. Costs the same amount really. But will save you the screwed up phase
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 12:56 PM
Russell Coon wrote:Krylon Fusion will work on the top vinyl but it is sticky as hell and really suks. I went and bought some vinyl dye from walmart after i screwed it up. Costs the same amount really. But will save you the screwed up phase

that's why you need to focus on prep work, and use DUPLICOLOR VINYL AND FABRIC DYE!!!!!

it's what's been used on my dash and door inserts, i also used it on my headliner.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 2:54 PM
Where can I purchase this fabric die? is it possible to spray carpet without it fadding??

Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:31 AM
i've got somethin far better than duplicolor, krylon or anything else you boys are tossing around, Its called mar-hyde, its a vinyl dye thats sprayed on and O'Reilys sells it i would imagein autozone does to, an old paint and body man told me about the stuff, you need to follow the directions EXACTLY buy the total prep it calls for it'll be much easier, if not do a really good scrub down with a degreaser let it set then hit it again with some more mixed down with water depending on how strong the degreaser is, i did this on my dash and door panels, also keep the cans warm, the warmer the better to about 100 degrees after that i woudl worry but like a 5 gallon bucket of hot water with the cans floating in it would be great, the extra temp keeps the cans pressured up and makes a more consitant spray job later, also this stuff stinks BAD, worse than any paint i've ever smelled the fumes will knock you over so avoid them at all costs i popped my resporater off and got hit in the face with the fumes , also buy 2 or 3 cans one can covered all my panels but spray one good full coverage coat, dont worry about runs to much the stuff soaks in and WILL NOT CRACK, PEEL OR FADE its great stuff and the more you put on the deeper the color gets, i've got 3 heavy coats on my dash and it looks amazing, i should have it back in my car soon and i'll show pics, i also found some krylon plastic primer that allows the use of any paint, after a few sprays on plastic with the fusion i sprayed a peice that hand the primer on it and it stuck alot better so try it and see, i'm using a regular outdoor krylon for my silver as its all that wal mart had and it seems to be bonding very well. good luck and show pics .

J~
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search