Help! ASAP! - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help! ASAP!
Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:04 AM
Okay, here is my problem. I drive a 99 2.4L sunfire. My instrument cluster is a 4speed automatic with digital odometer. The one I have no is bad. It has a broken needle and my odometer bulb blew. I just went ahead and purchased a new cluster. The cluster is exactly the same, 4 speed auto with digital odometer.

The problem is that when I started the car after hooking the new one up, the car doesn't stay on. It starts then instantly shuts off. I went ahead and put the old cluster back in and the car stay on just fine. Does anybody know why the car won't stay on? All I did was change the cluster and nothing else.

Re: Help! ASAP!
Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:08 AM
Read the interior faq for the theftlock relearn procedure.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:12 AM
It's not in the interior FAQ, it's in the Library FAQ, so we can just do this...
Ur's is an easy year...

Quote:

PASSlock relearn procedure
PASSlock is designed to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the fuel injectors unless the lock cylinder is engaged by the correct mechanical key. The theft deterrent system uses four components for theft prevention:

- the lock cylinder
- the ignition switch
- the instrument cluster (IPC, 96-99 models) or body control module (BCM, 00-05 models)
- the Powertrain Control ModuleSee ECM. (PCM)

If one or more of these components are replaced, then the PASSlock system must be reprogrammed. The procedure is different between 96-99 and 00-05 J-cars.

Fuel Password Learn Procedure

In order for a theft detterrent vehicle to run, a password is communicated between the Intrustment Panel Cluster (IPC) and the PCM. If a PCM is replaced, the new PCM needs to learn the correct password of the vehicle. When the new PCM is installed, the EEPROM calibration is flashed into the new PCM and the vehicle will learn the new password upon initial ignition ON. If the IPC/BCM is replaced, the PCM needs to learn the new password from the IPC/BCM. The password learn procedure is as follows:

96-99 J-car

1. Attempt to start the vehicle, then leave the ignition ON. The THEFT SYSTEM light telltale will flash for 10 minutes.

2. When the THEFT SYSTEM telltale stops flashing, start the vehicle. Once the vehicle is running, the password is learned.

-Seth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:14 AM

Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:21 AM
C.e.E-J.a.Y wrote:Okay, here is my problem. I drive a 99 2.4L sunfire.

... theres your problem

but in all seriousness, what this guy said is correct^^

Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:24 AM
I am going to try this right now. Thanks so far guys!!!

Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:44 AM
It worked! Awesome guys! I have another small problem though that arose. The new cluster says that I have 75k miles and I really have 82k miles on the car. Is mileage stored within the cluster? Or am I stuck with this odometer fraud issue?

Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:57 AM
wizkiddrummer wrote:It's not in the interior FAQ, it's in the Library FAQ, so we can just do this...
Ur's is an easy year...
-Seth

It IS in the interior FAQ. Item #8.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 3:26 PM
The new cluster says that I have 75k miles and I really have 82k miles on the car. Is mileage stored within the cluster? Or am I stuck with this odometer fraud issue?

Saturday, July 15, 2006 5:31 PM
Yeah, the mileage is stored in the cluster. If you don't fix it, it can be considered odometer fraud if you sell the car as actual mileage.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:12 PM
Thanks Shifted. How do I go about fixing it?

Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:22 PM
Unfortunately for the digital odo's pre 2k, the only way to get it fixed is to bring it to the dealer, and have them send it out for calibration.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:40 PM
Okay..that's what i was thinking too. I appreciate your help Shifted, and thanks to everyone else in this thread

Saturday, July 15, 2006 11:17 PM
Shifted wrote:
wizkiddrummer wrote:It's not in the interior FAQ, it's in the Library FAQ, so we can just do this...
Ur's is an easy year...
-Seth

It IS in the interior FAQ. Item #8.
Ope, I retract my statement. Didn't see it in there.

As far as the odometer thing, ya, it's stored in the cluster which sucks. I wonder if there was anyway that you could change it in paperwork but not have to change it on the car. Like go to the dmv and tell them that you changed clusters and that the mileage shown is less than what it really is and to make a note of it. IDK if that would work or not but maybe it's worth a shot.

-Seth

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search