Need Convertible trunk pic - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Convertible trunk pic
Monday, March 07, 2005 5:22 PM
I'm thinking of getting a J-body convertible version, but I need to see the trunk part at the moment of the convertible is down. Also, is the convertible automatic or manual? I mean, you can press a button and it goes down or you'll need to have it put down manually?

Re: Need Convertible trunk pic
Monday, March 07, 2005 5:32 PM
I dont have a pic of my trunk on me but its almost identical to a normal trunk except for the emergency top thing and its got a little less height for the top and all. As for the the top it's somewhat automaitic. You pull the release lever then hold it back and the top goes down and vice versa. You dont have to get out and put it down like the Vettes.
As for tranny, I've seen my car with a 5spd in another town but sadly mine is an auto.

How many steps to heaven, Doc?
...Ah, metaphysics.
Monday, March 07, 2005 6:21 PM
good luck finding a nice 5 spd, theyre few and far between
i looked and looked before i got my 05...i very much wanted a 5 spd vert

Monday, March 07, 2005 6:52 PM
The trunk is pretty much the same for all J's. My top (99 Sunfire GT vert) and my step-sis (99 Z24 vert) are both automatic. The only thing you have to do is put the boot on (3 steps for me...). They moved the speakers from the back window area to the panels in the backseat area to make more room. I don't think there's any difference in the spacing. I could try and get you a pic tomorrow if you still want it.

Premium as of January 25, 2005. Support the Org.
Monday, March 07, 2005 7:03 PM
I just recently got a 5spd '00 z24. I went to a car broker and they found me one in two weeks in great shape.
Monday, March 07, 2005 7:53 PM
well it depends on where you live, I've only seen on 2000 Z24 with a 5-Spd and that was in Orlando, I think my town only has 3 other verts like mine, not sure about Sunfires though.

...Ah, metaphysics.
Monday, March 07, 2005 7:55 PM
This would probably be the best pic i have of the trunk

You really dont loose any space, The only real difference is the hinges on the trunk.

My cardomain site
doublez@eastlink.ca
Monday, March 07, 2005 7:58 PM
you loose space on the rear deck you won't be able to fit a 12" sub box back there. sides that is is almost exactly the same.

Monday, March 07, 2005 9:19 PM
This is a view from the frontseat looking into the trunk with the top down.

And this is a shot from the back of the car

Like others have said theres quite a difference in the size of the trunk,namely the height right behind the backseat area. In the convertible the top is stored in a compartment which is lower that the rear deck in the regular coupe. So basically you end up losing a few inches of height. I know in my old coupe my sub box would fit standing up in the area just behind the seat,but now I have the box laying down because it wont fit otherwise (and even getting it in that way was a pain the ass because the trunk hinges seemed to get in the way as well).

And dont mind my lazy and ugly trunk setup. I've got a few fiberglass projects in line once my garage is cleared out,and the trunk is the first on the list.

If you need any specific pics of certain things on a 'vert just let me know;I like taking pics
Monday, March 07, 2005 9:41 PM
so just the heights right behind the back seat under the speakers, well it'll be alright, but would a strut bar still fit there? Also, the convertible is automatically functioned right? Well, I should say electrical and not manual.

Monday, March 07, 2005 10:19 PM
yes, all verts are electrical. The backseats is a few inches smaller, and you're missing like 4" of height because of where the top lays. You can't put a rear strut bar on a vert, the top is in the way. Not unless you fabbed it rear low profile, cuz the top lays right against the top of the rear towers anyways.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:49 AM
Here are a few of mine. You also lose the space around the hinges because they hang down so far and don't move when you open the trunk. As far as I know all the tops are power (electric) with an emergency over ride switch so you can close the top manually if the car loses power.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 7:51 AM
Sorry...

"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:28 AM
Good luck trying to find a 5 speed, me and John have them but not too many others, took my dad and me a year and a half to find one, and he is a dealer. the cool part about the hinges is when you take out two bolts they turn into flip trunks.

1998 Z24 Convertible 5 Speed
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:41 AM
^ Didn't know anyone else had figured that out ^

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 9:21 AM
Chris Fontana wrote:Good luck trying to find a 5 speed, me and John have them but not too many others, took my dad and me a year and a half to find one, and he is a dealer. the cool part about the hinges is when you take out two bolts they turn into flip trunks.

uhhhh huhhh!

My cardomain site
doublez@eastlink.ca
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 11:42 AM
holy crap I didnt know that, what bolts?!

...Ah, metaphysics.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search