Custom Sunfire Projector Fogs.... W-I-P.. - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Custom Sunfire Projector Fogs.... W-I-P..
Friday, April 25, 2008 1:26 PM
So I decided to jump on the blazer projector band wagon.... picked myself up a lovely set off of ebay.... I had seen steven.c's retro fit into a cavalier fog housing which got me thinking..... if you could do it for a cav.... it should be possible to do it for a sunfire... i'm still working on them and tweaking but couldn't resist posting some pictures...

By no means am I taking credit for the idea.. I have to thank steven.c for the inspiration to do it...

here's a comparison of the projector to the stock lenses... I had already marked exactly where I wanted to cut...

Next step was cutting.... I used a 2 inch hole saw to cut out the lens portion... then about 2 hours of dremeling to get the project to fit good.. so here it is now...

Not 100% done yet... it needs paint + silicone... but overall I'm happy with the progress...however I must warn anyone who tries to do a sunfire retro to be very careful when cutting... you need to shave off a bit of the part were the stock brackets alignment spring thing goes...

Questions/comments welcomed!!

Re: Custom Sunfire Projector Fogs.... W-I-P..
Friday, April 25, 2008 3:18 PM
here's a picture of how much you have to cut out compared to stock... I know it looks crude but the projector fits in perfectly and sits perfectly level...

Friday, April 25, 2008 4:14 PM
Very nice man. Its looking awesome. Cant wait to see this complete.

Friday, April 25, 2008 4:18 PM
Very nice job. Looking forward to seeing the final result.

Friday, April 25, 2008 4:29 PM
probally won't have pictures up till tomorrow some time... sort of chose a bad time to dig into this haha but i'll for sure have pictures up as soon as they are done.. thanks for the good words... I'll be replacing the 894 bulbs that came with it with a set of 893 luminics ultra whites... I had 880 luminics ultra whites in my stockers... but the bulb is not strong enough for these housings... so I spliced in the new wire harnesses and I won't have to worry about melting a glass/steel housing =)
Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:54 AM
This is what I'm going to do for the 00-02 fogs for my car! That is just the motivation I needed to go pick up the things from a local retrofiter here in Columbus. So it looks great bro, and I can't wait to get started.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:11 AM
looks sweet cant wait to see them done

Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:12 AM
You thinking of eventually putting HID in them? I love it man good work!!!

Saturday, April 26, 2008 9:21 AM
I'll most likely eventually put a hid kit in them... but before I do that I would want to try a headlight retro fit... I think it would look odd to have hid fogs but not hid head lights........ anyways I should have these done by tonight if all goes well today
Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:58 PM
alright... so after a few hours of work.... here's the final product... they won't be installed until later in the week.. (going on vacation + silicon must dry)

Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:01 PM
Very nice!

Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:10 PM
look sick... cant wait to see em on the car...

Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:15 PM
I can't wait either... should have gotten something that set quicker haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, April 26, 2008 4:15 PM
Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:04 AM
how well this has gone.. has tempted me to possibly attempt a headlight retro...
Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:49 AM
one last picture before install

Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:58 AM
damn those are clean, nice work man, go install those bad boys and get some pics up! then make me a set!

Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:32 AM
haha they arn't really that hard to make.... this is my first attempt and doing a retro fit.... basically here's the steps I followed....

1. use a 2 inch hole saw to cut the lens.... this can take awhile since the lenses are a pretty hard plastic and are thick....

2. use a dremel tool/cutting disc to cut out the general shape of the projector into the back of the fog light

3. use a sanding tool (dremel) to fine tune the opening....

4. as your using the sanding tool you have to constantly check to see if the fitment of the projector.... also during this step I would highly recommend wearing some sort of mask..... the first one I did i didn't use a mask and had a nasty sore throat after (breathing in very fine plastic dust)

5. once you have them fitting as you want them... you can go ahead and finish up the housings... the hole saw causes a inner ridge on the lens so I used the dremel and sanding tool to take that off

6. Hit them with some paint.. I followed steve.c's advice on hitting it from the inside and outside... I gave the inside 1 coat and the outside 2... I used what was left of a spray bomb I had made that is a perfect color match to my car...

7. Silicon time.... now if you've done it correctly the projector should fit pretty snuggly into the opening but I decided to use some clear silicon on the outside of the housing just to make sure nothing was going anywhere.

8. Now you can focus your attention to the stock mounting brackets (this is where i'm stuck right now).... The mounting brackets have to be modified to accommodate the extra length of and width of the projector..

9. Plug in and remount to stock mounting position

Total time spent so far: roughly 5 hours.... time remaining: unknown

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:34 AM
Sunday, April 27, 2008 9:52 AM
seems like i've solved the bracket problem... however I just realize... the bulbs supplied with the kit are 894's which have a right angle plug which are no good for my application... because when you twist the bulb it sits just above the black alignment adjuster.... so looks like i'll have to wait on my 893 luminics to come in before I can get light to them...
Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:01 AM
yeah it know it's not that bad, i'm just lazy lol- awsome work tho

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:12 AM
thanks... really bummed now that I don't have any fog lights that will work haha.... good thing I ordered a set of 893's that have straight connectors on them
Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:15 AM
cant wait to see this finished, are you going to use clear lenses on the headlights or are you gonna use the factory ones? Maybe you might have a little business on your hands here if you could produce them, id definitely be interested and looks like Resurrected J would be too!

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:42 AM
Looks good but what kind of silicone did you use? the projectors get pretty hot I was told by izntrbl to make sure i use 100% silicone that stuff almost looks like jizz instead of silicone. Everything else looks good

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:54 AM
You know, you did some really nice work there, but I'm a little curious why you didn't take the little extra time to smooth the factory lens where the rock dings were. Overall, they really came out great. They should look slick when installed.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:17 AM
They're just fogs... so that is how they will sit in the opening no extra lenses required... the projectors themselves are completely sealed by themselves so Its not like they would be open to any elements....

as for the silicon they one I used is 100% silicon... for some reason when it was wet it was cloudy... but its dry now and is clear..

as for the rock chips... meh the car is not going to be a show car plus that one is pretty nasty and I would have had to smooth out that entire ridge for it to look correctly... Plus it's such a dark color and the opening is so deep set that it would be hard to see anyways...

and finally I would love to do this as a side job.. however I will not be having nearly enough time on my hands to do a good enough job that I would want to sell any.. I just happened to have some free time between the end of university and my job starting

Thanks for all the kind comments i'll for sure put on some pictures when they are actually mounted 100% however that might not be till sometime next week... I was just taking a look and the drivers side one is going to be a tight fit with the bulb in (maybe a inch of space between the end of the connector and the window washer fluid jug.. so I might wait for my 893's to come in before I do the full install

Also I would recommend anyone who wants to try a retro.. to just giver a try... Here's a list of tools that I used
Drill (with hole saw kit)
Dremel (a couple cutting discs, a couple sanding attachments)
A angle grinder (to modify the stock brackets) (with metal grinding discs)
Silicon (100% silicon)

As I've mentioned this is my first attempt at a retro fit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:19 AM
Sunday, April 27, 2008 12:05 PM
oh wow, those look awesome...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search