mrthompson's 4 door progress thread - Page 15 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: mrthompson's 4 door progress thread
Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:56 PM
Good thing my 20's have both bolt patterns.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 6:18 AM
what did you do to the front in order to get to tuck those 20''s?
Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:22 AM
did you shorten the arms at all or are you running the stock length arms?

how are you mounting the trailing link? does it bolt to the stock torsion beam mounts?

Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:29 AM
Adjustable tubular arms FTW!!!

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Saturday, August 20, 2011 11:52 AM
would have to be a retrofit as i'm pretty sure nobody makes them for the ga/alero.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:21 PM
Strat - yes I am.running them at factory length. The pictures a above is not the exact locations or width. Its just a mock up so I know how much tuck I should have. And the trailing arms do mount in the torsion beam locations. The sleave for the trailing arm just has to be shortened 1/8" or 1/16" each side of the bushing to fit.

For the adjustable arms is up to you. They have cam bolts in the end to adjust for tow and you can use cam bolts or slot the strut for camber adjustment. Something I will be doing to mine is running a piece of pipe/tube inside the channels to make the arms more ridgid.

For progress today I ended up spending more time than I wanted cleaning the garage than wanted but I did atleast get the other mount off the old strut welded and ready to go on the air.strut.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 2:32 PM
i'd be looking at adjustable arms to do away with shortening the stock arms but if the stockers work, it would be an afterthought for me.

now just need to figure out provisions for coilovers, 5x100 wheel bearings, and a way to mount up the baers. LOL

Saturday, August 20, 2011 4:02 PM
strat81 wrote:i'd be looking at adjustable arms to do away with shortening the stock arms but if the stockers work, it would be an afterthought for me.

now just need to figure out provisions for coilovers, 5x100 wheel bearings, and a way to mount up the baers. LOL

I forgot about you running the lower offset wheels. I guess we will see where I end up sitting on mine and hopefully it's where you can use the stockers on yours.

For the baers what is the rotor thickness and diameter? Doesn't have to be exact just in the ball park. Because I'm wondering if it would be worth the hassle of making them work. Because if you sold them off that would probably fund your suspension. For the wheel bearing I guess there is one that should work.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:12 PM
diameter is 12" on the rear baers. bolt pattern is 5x100 too so it would partially hinge on the proper wheel bearing. i refuse to change wheels too.

I did look into the legality of the irs for autox and coupled with the supercharger, i'm pretty sure I'll be in some ridiculous class so i'm not sure it will be worth it for me... unless I get my miata in which case, game on.

Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:59 PM
well i'm glad to see that i am not losing but a inch on the brake rotor compared to the big brakes. yeah i understand the wheel situation, but you know if you get a miata that the cavalier will end up back in storage. lol defenately sucks on the classification part. its not like your slapping in a vette driveline.

Sunday, August 21, 2011 12:34 PM
if I get a miata, cavalier would become a long course autox/track toy

Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:16 PM
a little question on the irs. do you have to run the bolts through the trunk or just the rails. i mocked my brace up and not sure whats the best support for it. Thanks
Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:19 PM
From what lenko had said and one they are just threw the rail. He stated that the alero is mounted the same way. Just the bolt is from the bottom up in the alero compared to dropping the bolt down as we would on the cavalier. If you check the page before in this thread. I quoted his step by step.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:06 AM
more progress on the irs swap. ended up was able to get it back down on all 4s again. looks for the most part like everything is going to work. i have to still gather up brake lines and ebrake cable. plus i need to tear it all apart to paint and rust repair. but on with pics.

c&c welcome

Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:37 AM
Its pretty

Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:22 AM
Love it. Makes me wanna go IRS.
Saturday, August 27, 2011 9:06 AM
So nice... I really need to get going on this, but first I need to find a car that I can drive in the down time...

Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:08 AM
nice progress!

Saturday, August 27, 2011 10:30 AM
thanks. just wish i could drive it to see how well it does.

Saturday, August 27, 2011 1:16 PM
Oh nice man!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:09 PM
your solution for the air struts should work fine for anyone running regular struts as well. I was looking into a mount that would bolt up like the front but have a provision for the cavalier rear strut to bolt to.

IRS is the last suspension mod that I could do. Everything else has been done, other than doing a watts link buI'mIm not autocrossing so thadoesn'tnt matter to me.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, September 06, 2011 8:32 PM
DSMskyline wrote:your solution for the air struts should work fine for anyone running regular struts as well. I was looking into a mount that would bolt up like the front but have a provision for the cavalier rear strut to bolt to.

IRS is the last suspension mod that I could do. Everything else has been done, other than doing a watts link buI'mIm not autocrossing so thadoesn'tnt matter to me.

i was thinking the same for the coilover guys also. i know strat made mention of the std being threaded and all you would have to do is get a someone to make a threaded lower sleave.

update on the car- decided to mess under the hood a little since i had the rear on the ground before taking it back apart. i was just going to go with painting the charger black but after messing around it looks like i will be polishing it. got it roughed in about the most i can with tools. so...... the hard work will begin. but here is pics of the progress.

Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:15 PM
LOOKIN GOOD MAN ARE YOU GONNA BE HAND POLISHING THE CHARGER?
Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:01 PM
i will be hand sanding the charger and using a polishing wheel in the angle grinder. probably will be sending the header out to be chrome or ceramic coated. what ever makes it shiney.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 9:41 AM
Please remove that stuff off of your roof. You will end up with unwanted dents and gouges. Especially from the intercooler.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search