Relocated the ECU - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Relocated the ECU
Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:30 PM
I've been wanting to relocate my ECU for a while now, but I didnt want to cut into the rhino ass and have the large hole going into the cab. So today I was bored and a friend (SS-J) and I relocated the ECU under the window / wiper bezel (not sure what it called). I also cleaned up some of the extra wires from the alarm I had installed last year.

Anyways ignore the dirty engine bay, I haven't washed it since last month.

Re: Relocated the ECU
Sunday, April 19, 2009 10:46 PM
Cool, seems to fit in well there. Might I ask though, why move it?

* * BIG FOR SALE POST * *
Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:05 PM
tha_prowler wrote:Cool, seems to fit in well there. Might I ask though, why move it?

Yeah i was wondering the same thing, why you moving it?

Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:09 PM
Because it looks ugly in the engine bay.
Looks alot cleaner man, nice job.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:12 PM
tha_prowler wrote:Cool, seems to fit in well there. Might I ask though, why move it?

just to clean up the engine bay and give it more of an organized look.

To OP:
I'm not sure if you realize but alot of water flows through there when ever it rains or you wash your car. At least under the hood it was protected. i would say just as a safety precaution to move it inside so that you dont have anything happen to it.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:33 PM
Not much water gets inside the area I placed it (already tested it). The bezel has no vents near the ECO, and there is a seal on the bottom of the bezel to keep water out. Seems pretty safe to me. Besides, I wash and pressure wash my engine bay 2 to 3 times a month. The ECU is always getting wet. I also live in a state that never really gets rain. lol

I moved it because it looks ugly in the engine bay, and it hits my strut bar. As you can see from the picture below, the ECO and the large loom of wire look like crap in the engine bay. The alarm horn also looked like crap on the firewall.

Sunday, April 19, 2009 11:41 PM
thanks for the idea! i'm gonna do that.

WiGM-Tuners member.
Monday, April 20, 2009 4:58 AM
people relocate them to clean up the engine bay, make more wires disappear, and also for more room if they are turbo. opens up the back of the bay immensely.

Monday, April 20, 2009 5:41 AM
hey i never thought of putting the pcm there nice work looks very clean under the hood.

Monday, April 20, 2009 6:45 AM
Nice move. i might have to do this mine being held to the strut bar by zip ties

Monday, April 20, 2009 7:56 AM
I like!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Monday, April 20, 2009 8:01 AM
never thought about putting it there....neat idea

looks good

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, April 20, 2009 9:02 AM
You might want to mention that the connectors don't fit just perfect through the hole and some slight modification is needed to get the connectors through the hole...well on my 01 at least. Expect to see quite a few copy this...I already did and I saw this post a lil more than an hour ago

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Monday, April 20, 2009 9:27 AM
EcoCav (DesertTuners) wrote:Not much water gets inside the area I placed it (already tested it). The bezel has no vents near the ECO, and there is a seal on the bottom of the bezel to keep water out. Seems pretty safe to me. Besides, I wash and pressure wash my engine bay 2 to 3 times a month. The ECU is always getting wet. I also live in a state that never really gets rain. lol

I moved it because it looks ugly in the engine bay, and it hits my strut bar. As you can see from the picture below, the ECO and the large loom of wire look like crap in the engine bay. The alarm horn also looked like crap on the firewall.

well then you wont have to worry about it. Your engine bay looks good though.

Monday, April 20, 2009 9:59 AM
Skunk - Now With Petey wrote:You might want to mention that the connectors don't fit just perfect through the hole and some slight modification is needed to get the connectors through the hole...well on my 01 at least. Expect to see quite a few copy this...I already did and I saw this post a lil more than an hour ago

I figured after I did this, several others would try it too. I wanted to leave the hole as a suprise for them

Monday, April 20, 2009 10:52 AM
i think people forget that the 95-99s had the PCM behind the front fender. should see the 99 2.4 PCM i have right now its covered in road salt. that seems to be a good spot i thought about it a couple weeks back but i wanna see what my 3800 impala PCM looks like the 1 i have now is much bigger then the eco PCM

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, April 20, 2009 12:12 PM
LOl MY 2.4 ECU was haging by one screw barely attached when my i swapped the motor another winter and i would have had a set of frayed wires where my ecu was.

Monday, April 20, 2009 12:39 PM
Nice work Dan. Now my paint job on that valve cover can be the center of attention!

Monday, April 20, 2009 3:46 PM
Very nice and clean.. I was just getting ready to do this mod and relocate it into the cabin. I will do it this way, it looks easier and the ECU can still breathe. On a side note about getting it wet. When i clean my engine bay i always spray the ECU heat sink fins and everything around it with degreaser and then hose it off. Nothing has ever happened about getting it wet. It will be fine in that location.

Monday, April 20, 2009 4:30 PM
wow. i didnt want to relocate in to the cabin either. i like this idea MUCH more and i think i may also put my alarm speaker deal there to. thats an awsome idea.

Monday, April 20, 2009 5:31 PM
Oh man we started a trend..

see i told you we should do things like this for a living.

Monday, April 20, 2009 6:09 PM
question is how is it kept from bounceing around ??? if they flop around enough it would damage it right? if i do this im gonna make a plate to cover it so it dont get wet and so it holds it from getting knocked about under there since PA roads suck monkey nutz

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Monday, April 20, 2009 7:14 PM
We just used a nice bolt, 2 washers and a nut. Tight as hell, and it doesn't move. If it becomes an issue, I will make a brace for it and bolt down 2 corners.... but I don't think its needed.

Alarm siren in there? Now there is an idea! I might try that. or maybe an air horn

Monday, April 20, 2009 7:20 PM
Man your engine bay is sooooooooo clean <3 <3

Monday, April 20, 2009 8:12 PM
I can vouch for the tight fit. I've got neutral balance shafts, relatively fully built motor, all the goodies most could ask for and I started mine up and revved it to about 5k, the pcm didn't budge or rattle at all. I was prepared to put a 2nd bolt in in the event of more rattles than the car already has, but it was not needed. It is a very tight fit in there. Negotiating the pcm around just to get it to sit right is even a slight task. Overall this is a much better location that under the dash or anywhere else for that matter, in my opinion.

Good Job Daniel. Great idea. Glad I could be the first to copy it lol.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search