Evilution's 2011 Rebuild - Page 8 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Evilution's 2011 Rebuild
Friday, August 31, 2012 4:14 AM
Good luck man. Excited to see this come together finally!

Friday, August 31, 2012 5:11 AM
Hurry up already!

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Friday, August 31, 2012 2:59 PM
We man handled that bitch. lol.

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:52 PM
Motor should be coming out in the morning.

I pulled all accessories, moved wiring, plumbing, etc tonight. All that's left is to pull the axles and mounts. I'm debating whether or not to clean up the wiring a bit more while everything is out...part of me wants to, but a bigger part of me recalls the hours of tedious wiring i already did over the winter.

Saturday, September 01, 2012 9:25 AM
just leave those pieces of valve right there heaven forbid you remove them

Saturday, September 01, 2012 10:26 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:just leave those pieces of valve right there heaven forbid you remove them

Lol, someone suggested I turn the valve stem into a hood ornament since it bent itself into a "J"

Saturday, September 01, 2012 12:26 PM
I vote make it a christmas orniment....or keychain.

Sunday, September 02, 2012 5:28 PM
The end results of today...

And I even removed the valve remains off the piston just for Vince
I'm going to give the transmission a good scrubbing tomorrow and swap the L61 oil pan onto the LK9. Plan is drop in the motor by mid week and hopefully have it running by the weekend.

Sunday, September 02, 2012 7:06 PM
Preciate it! Good to see progress man.Started mine again tonight! Washed it and cleaned it out

Sunday, September 02, 2012 10:51 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Preciate it! Good to see progress man.Started mine again tonight! Washed it and cleaned it out

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing progress of yours too!

Sunday, September 09, 2012 6:21 PM
The motor is pretty much all ready to drop back into the car. I drilled and tapped the intake side of the head for m8 bolts, found a plug for the oil return hole in the block, and got patterns made for the CKP sensor bracket and exhaust cam block off plate. Ryan stopped by today and we got the clutch and flywheel bolted on, swapped on the L61 oil pan, and bolted up the transmission.

I did run into one expected issue - the LK9 thermostat housing which I planned on running hits the shift cable bracket. I trimmed down the casting on the trans that the bracket bolts to in hopes to gain enough clearance, but the bracket itself binds. I'm debating trimming the bracket, though it may require completely cutting about 1/4 of the round sleeve out...I think it'll be ok considering there is a rubber bushing that goes in it for the bolt to pass through, but im not positive.
The problem with an L61 thermo housing (other than the obvious lack of connection for the oil cooler) is that the pipe that runs along the side of the head needs to pass right through where the oil cooler is. I also tried an LE5 housing which similar to the L61 but with a short pipe for the lower hose, but the bottom of the housing also contacts the shift bracket. I also tried to "massage" the bottom of the LK9 housing, but apparently hammers don't mix well with that thick of aluminum, lol.
There is an aftermarket adapter plate that PJ turned me onto which replaces the stock cooler, and allows you to run to an external cooler, and allows the use of the L61 thermo housing. I may look into this in the future, but right now I need an immediate fix...I have a project to do this coming weekend and need to have my car out of the garage.
So for now, I may see how much I can shave off the LE5 housing without thinning the wall too much and see if I can gain the clearance that way, or I may see if a little heat will let me bend the coolant pipe on the L61 housing just enough to make it clear the oil cooler, and for the time being just not use the cooler. Or I may just start cutting into the shift cable bracket and worse case scenario I destroy it and need to run to the junkyard Friday morning.
I may fool with the LK9 housing more for future use...it only needs about 1/2" additional clearance, so I think I can just cut a little off the bottom corner while still leaving enough inside diameter for water flow, then have the shop that does my radiator work tig a patch over it.
I'll have some sort of solution by tomorrow night, as I want the motor in the car tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest, so I have the rest of the week to hook all the wiring and plumbing back up, as well as the blower.

Here's the transmission all cleaned up. When I cleaned/painted it over the winter, I obviously couldn't get to some of the parts with it in the car, so I took the opportunity to give it a good degreasing and repaint.

Motor and trans all cleaned up and bolted together

And of course, the most important tool in the garage, lol...

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:19 PM
So....she's in!

And for a temporary fix on the thermo housing, I cut the pipe on the side of the head to clear the oil cooler. I just need to stop a the parts store and hunt for the right shape hose to connect to the lower radiator hose. In the meantime, I'm dropping the lk9 thermo housing off at the radiator shop to have it modified to clear the shift cable bracket.

Tomorrow I'm planning on getting all wiring under the intake manifold hooked up, mount the manifold and accessories like the alt and ac compressor, then mock up the ckp bracket and make sure it's angled properly before welding it together.
So far it looks I'm on schedule to have this beast running by Friday

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:41 PM
You wont! No balls........

Monday, September 10, 2012 6:18 PM
I fully expect to see this at Sams on Saturday. No excuses.

Monday, September 10, 2012 6:22 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:I fully expect to see this at Sams on Saturday. No excuses.

I won't be there. Sam likes to plan things on days we already have plans. That and it won't be tuned til next week probably. Guess you'll have to come to the October meet...besides, I'll have some goodies to send along with you by then

Monday, September 10, 2012 6:29 PM
Looks good man! good to see KGM hard at work!

Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:04 PM

Just about ready to go. Ryan and I made good progress tonight, all the electrical is done, both manifolds, trigger wheel, and most accessories. Tomorrow I just need to finish making the exhaust cam block off plate, reinstall the axles, install new outer tie ride ends, then just a few odds and ends to start it up.

And here's what I came up with for a ckp mount

I'm hoping to button up everything tomorrow and sat morning, then tune during the week sometime

Friday, September 14, 2012 8:18 AM
good progress

Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:46 AM
Matt, can you take some more detailed pics of the waterneck like we have been discussing on facebook?

Saturday, September 22, 2012 6:10 AM
Here you go Chris:

If you look at like to updates above this, you'll see the cut off water neck, then I added on a random 90* I found at the parts store, then I used the end of the cut off water neck to join the 90* to the lower rad hose. The red sections in the picture are the sections of the stock l61 thermo housing. Like I said, not the neatest presentation, but it gets the job done. Now I deleted my pressurized expansion tank, so I'm not using the stock lower hose with the T junction, but the hose I am using is pretty much the same contour, so the stocker should be close to the same fit...though with this set up the lower hose is pulled much more to the driver side than stock, so if you have a stock rad setup, I'd imagine you would need to extend the hose to the coolant bottle just a bit. My lower rad hose used to sit pretty much against the oil filter housing.
And for now, I have the water inlet/outlets capped on the oil cooler, til I can mod the lk9 housing to fit, then I'll throw the lines on.

A few more shots from various angles:

I do plan on changing it, it's a little junky looking for my taste, and for all the time I spent scrubbing and repainting the trans, I want to be able to see it, haha. I'm going to pick up a lower rad hose meant for a LSJ/LK9...from pics it looks like it runs a little closer to the driver side rail, in front of the shift cable bracket, then into thermo housing (their water inlet on the thermo housing comes right off the corner of the head, instead of bending down the side of it like the L61.
This is how I would like the hose to be run:

In other news, the car still doesn't start. I think it's the relation of the trigger wheel to the sensor. I thought I had the sensor pretty centered with the wheel, but as I look at it more, it's a bit off center, so I need to drill out the hole in the bracket more to move the sensor in. My trigger wheel also twisted a bit when I was torquing down the crank bolt, which I'm still unsure why since I didn't even hit the torque spec when it started bowing..but I'm sure that's throwing it off as well. I'm not sure how sensitive the sensor is for being dead center on the wheel, or what the tolerance is, but I'm 99% sure that's the issue. I straightened my wheel out in a press but its still not perfect, so I'm going to pick up Oldskool's old wheel today and see if that works.

I also need to stop at the junkyard today. When I went to bleed the clutch the other day, this happened:

Even after soaking the bleeder in penetrating oil, I guess the 130k+ miles of dirt and corrosion were tougher than GM's plastic. I have the clutch safety switch disabled for now for the purpose of trying to get the car started, but obviously the car isn't going anywhere like that.

My battery was also starting to have issues holding a charge, so I decided it was finally time to buy myself a big boy battery:

And I'm trying Royal Purple this time in the trans, I was starting to get some notchiness in 2nd gear. If I don't like this, I'm gonna give Amsoil's ATF a try.

Hopefully by next time, this car will start cooperating and I'll have a more constructive update.

Saturday, September 22, 2012 6:29 AM
I'm curious to see how you like the RP.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:24 PM
Finally got everything back together and she's running good! I took her out for a spin around the neighborhood today to make sure everything was running good, and the car felt great. The first start was on the last HPT flash meant for the L61 with stage 3 cams, and surprisingly the motor jumped right to a good idle with healthy AFR and long term fuel trims. I still have some odds and ends to take care of, mainly cosmetic, but I'll get to those over the next few days while my cam cover and thermo housing are out getting welded.

I have some cleaning up to do here with the routing of the cooling lines, but swapping in the LK9 thermo housing after modding it should help with that. Also need to finish the carbon fiber cover I made that will sit around the intake where the battery tray once was, and will hide some of the wiring harness along the frame rail.

I also have the braided lines for my PCV tied off to the side, as there is nowhere to join them right now (which is why the cam cover needs to go out for welding to add on AN fittings). I'll be adding a 8an fitting to the intake and exhaust side, just like my previous one. For now, I'm just running some vac hose like a stock set up and bypassing my catch can. It'll be hooked back up before we start tuning.

PJ also saved the day and expressed me a new clutch bleeder valve.

I also got the new (well new to me) wheels painted and on the front. I still need to paint the remaining two for the rear. If they look familiar, it's because they are Tinkle's old wheels (they were gunmetal with polished lip).

We should be tuning it next week sometime, then I'll be heading to Sloppy Mechanics Dyno Day at the end of October for some numbers. I just need to find some time before hand to install the meth kit, and I'm not sure if I want to drop right to the 2.9 pulley, or stay with the 3.1 first so I can see the actual difference in gains between the two.
After that, it's onto the long awaited body work and repaint. I also need to finish collecting a few various parts for the Saturn rear brake swap.

And one more shot of her before finally driving out of the garage under her own power.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 9:32 PM
Nice, hurry up and get it done.

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 10:30 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Nice, hurry up and get it done.

Lol, trust me, I'm hauling a$$ on this so i finally have time to finish up your parts pile!

Thursday, October 04, 2012 2:51 AM
Take your time with it, but hurry up. seriously, people might die... you need to take your time and hurry up! Little children are counting on you.

looks good though. glad it runs and moves well it sounds like. When does the valve cover cosmetics happen? Matching it to the blower? or wheels? or any other color ideas?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search