96 Turbocharged Z24 - Page 5 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 96 Turbocharged Z24
Friday, February 17, 2012 7:45 AM
well maybe mine angles it down further but it sure looks the same to me...

mine would probably fit if i turned it around and ground out about half and inch off the top of the trans.

Come join us over on the Olds Quad 4 and Twin Cam Facebook group!

Saturday, February 18, 2012 6:20 AM
Figured I should give a little update. Well, it looks like I'm leaving a little earlier than originally told to go overseas. Luckily it's a short tour, and I'll be back this year. So, now the goal is to have this thing on the road Dec 2012. We will be doing some upgrades between now and then to include cams (not sure which ones quite yet but she's gonna sound mean), port and polish, a custom tubular exhaust manifold, a custom runner style intake manifold, prob some spray to the intercooler, Eibach f/r sway bars, purdy new paint job, some interior stuff, and probably some more. What else do yall think I should do? Money won't be an issue really...just depends on how much the wife will let me dump into it

So what do yall think?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:23 PM
Got some pics coming, but the turbo is in. Yes, it does fit with that original SpeedCraft manifold. More of the bolt on stuff is on now, too. My dad's buddy who runs a paint shop for big rig trucks is going to try to hook me up on a paint job. If we can play our cards right I can get it done for free. Crossing my fingers. Just wanted to let yall know this project is still moving forward. It will be driveable in a couple months most likely, and after some break in time my dad will be taking it to the drag strip this summer to see how she does. Oh, and I have some custom cams coming, too

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, March 16, 2012 5:34 AM
pics of how close the turbo is to the trans!

Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:33 PM
Sorry for the delay. Things are coming together nicely now and she should be running in about a month. The turbo actually clears the trans just fine. It's the firewall and lines that make it a really tight fit. My dad will be tig welding the intercooler piping soon and we have an exhaust guy that will piece the 3" system together.

A good cleaning and the shiny wastegate should make things look all pretty back there soon.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Sunday, March 25, 2012 6:56 AM
man thats some work ur puttin in on this Z24 can't wait til its running, its gonna sound great!!

Skr8 Goodz in tha hood
Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:50 AM
Looks like the down pipe is going to a really tight fit with the heater core and fuel lines. That's one of the reasons I flipped my turbo around, so I had some extra clearance and did not have to worry about melting anything. I'm not sure that's a option for you or not being auto. I'm sure you will figure it out though, keep at it

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:23 PM
Nice nice, definitely worth a trip to the springs to see this

Monday, April 09, 2012 8:55 PM
A little update...
Figuring the intercooler routing. It's going to go around the bottom of the engine. Cruise control going back in factory location.

I'm keeping the factory fog lights.

Hayden trans cooler mounted and hooked up.

Other small stuff done too. Not sure when the first start up will be. Had some issues with the new wiring harness and 60lb injectors. I think we're good now though.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Monday, April 09, 2012 11:43 PM
Subscribed.. this is amazing work.
Looks like you're enjoying yourself. Not much to say but to keep at it. Good luck overseas!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:08 AM
Great progress!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:47 PM
The intake mani was red when I got it. I might be changing it to grey/silver though.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:28 AM
Sweet, Keep it up!

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:20 PM
Thanks guys. I am gone now, so it's my dad and brother who will get to tie some lose ends up and see her run for the first time. My dad will be taking it to most likely the Tulsa drag strip once shes broke in. Then later this winter when I get back I'll finish everything. My goal is to run 12s. I hope the trans will hold up.

Question: How high of boost could I run on the built motor minus the 2.3 oil swap? Would 17psi be too much you think? Share your thoughts with me. Thanks.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:43 PM
Got more pics coming. Anyone on my 2.3 oil pump questions?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:07 PM
The pump doesnt have an effect on the amount of boost you can run. The tune controls that.

The pump controls how high the car can rev. That is also dependant upon cams and the valve train.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:26 PM
Ok that makes sense. So would using say HO cams and Reving to 7000 be out of my reach then?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:48 AM
7000 is pushing it. i honestly wouldnt want to rev it past 4000 with a stock pump.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:09 AM
In my opinion 7000 is doable on your stock oiling....IF.....you are not losing oil pressure in high RPM, and you have GM LG0 valve springs.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:53 PM
4000? Well it's going to get pushed more than that for sure. I do have a set of HO springs. Even with new springs I'm starting to feel 7000 would be too much. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on oil pressure and oil levels though. If I could rev to 6000 I'd be satisfied for now.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:10 PM
My dad got more face time on these lol.
Blacked out Alt

Now a silver intake.

New computer and harness...HPT getting ordered soon

I'll be ordering more goodies soon, too.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:33 AM
Where are the pics?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:22 PM
Hmmm, I can see them...crappy Afghanistan internet lol.

Near future parts list
1. MSD DIS 2
2. Hallman MBC
3. Momo steering wheel
4. Intercooler NOS kit (maybe)

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, April 20, 2012 3:02 AM
Making good progress. I have an old downpipe that was on my eco but for that same size turbo, mine sat higher than that but you are more than welcome to use it or any parts of it you can if you want. Just let me know.

Also, id skip on the FMIC sprayer... you are running the same size turbo I have and although my FMIC might be a hair bigger than yours your temps should stay down enough that you wont need the sprayer. Just another thing to wire in and worry about being full. I dont see you having a problem with keeping the system cool at all.

Friday, April 20, 2012 7:09 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:Making good progress. I have an old downpipe that was on my eco but for that same size turbo, mine sat higher than that but you are more than welcome to use it or any parts of it you can if you want. Just let me know.

Also, id skip on the FMIC sprayer... you are running the same size turbo I have and although my FMIC might be a hair bigger than yours your temps should stay down enough that you wont need the sprayer. Just another thing to wire in and worry about being full. I dont see you having a problem with keeping the system cool at all.

Hey thanks man. I might see about your down pipe. I know my dad has an idea of how he wants to make one for me. I'll ask him though. It might need to be pretty custom in order to fit the tight spot. The hoses are getting rerouted somehow. Also, I realize it's prob just the ricer inside me but I've wanted nitrous on my car for forever. It would definitely be the last thing purchased for sure.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search