Sickness - Supercharger Retrofit (G-Lader) - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sickness - Supercharger Retrofit (G-Lader)
Friday, November 25, 2011 10:17 AM
Well - here it is. A build thread - which means I'm really going to do this.

As mentioned in the boost forum, I'm strapping a G-Lader supercharger from a 1991 Corrado G60 to my LD9. The engine isn't stock, I inherited it with a lot of bolt on-ons such as a full 2.5" exhaust with a header, secret cams, mounts, etc. I fitted the old Extrude Honed H.O manifold from Sweetness on it (spare part) and a phenolic adapter that I properly matched up. Seems I have the breathing mods necessary - so why not try some unique boost.

Below find a few rough and quick shots I took last night of the supercharger in rough placement on my mock-up engine. Bear in mind that it's not clocked properly since I have a chair, box & 2 pieces of wood holding it in place - it needs to be clocked towards the rad a bit as you can see from the gravity drain fitting at the bottom of the charger at about 5 o clock. (The engine is also tilted back a bit, bear that in mind.)

Challenge #1 was to see if I could find a spot to fit it... everything so far shows it can. Bet you can't guess how far under the rad support it goes tho.

Look at the size of that thing! It makes the alternator look like a dwarf midget.

I'll be posting up some data regarding CFM, RPM of the charger, projected boost, etc. I'd love you guys to check my math and make sure I'm not way off base here. The unit seems very comparable to an M45, I believe it flows a bit more CFM and - of course - I can intercool it.

Questions / comments / accusations of lunacy are welcomed.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Re: Sickness - Supercharger Retrofit (G-Lader)
Friday, November 25, 2011 10:39 AM
I'll be watching this fo sho.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, November 25, 2011 11:18 AM
Damn Chris, thinking outside the box, love it. Can't wait to see more progress.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, November 25, 2011 11:35 AM
Chris, I was waiting for this. It has only been months now. lol
If you need help let me know man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, November 25, 2011 11:37 AM
My only concern is if it will fit between the rad and the motor if it is staying as it is in the picture.
Friday, November 25, 2011 11:49 AM
Phillip - it won't! Did that measurement already...

Since I'm removing the A/C the condenser can come out which leaves room to move the rad forward. It barely doesn't clear the rad by about 1/2" so I'm going to move the rad forward about 1.5" or so... I want to give it extra "just in case" space.

It'll be tight down there. I'll have to tilt the rad forward / remove it just to install it and the brackets once it's all made - but it will just barely fit. I've seen guys with Turbo 2.2s and 3800 v6's in a J stuff more under the support by moving the rad forward a bit.

That was one of my next questions - I know moving the top of the rad isn't too hard - what about the bottom. Anybody done it?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, November 25, 2011 11:58 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:Phillip - it won't! Did that measurement already...

Since I'm removing the A/C the condenser can come out which leaves room to move the rad forward. It barely doesn't clear the rad by about 1/2" so I'm going to move the rad forward about 1.5" or so... I want to give it extra "just in case" space.

It'll be tight down there. I'll have to tilt the rad forward / remove it just to install it and the brackets once it's all made - but it will just barely fit. I've seen guys with Turbo 2.2s and 3800 v6's in a J stuff more under the support by moving the rad forward a bit.

That was one of my next questions - I know moving the top of the rad isn't too hard - what about the bottom. Anybody done it?

-Chris-

Awesome chris! I am watching this, I am excited for it to run.
Friday, November 25, 2011 11:59 AM
Awesome Chris.

What I'm really thinking is: "Yay. You get another boosted car."

1996 Chevrolet Cavalier SOLD | 2002 BMW 330i SOLD | 2004 BMW 645i
Friday, November 25, 2011 1:32 PM
My buddy bolted a "rotrex" centrifugal supercharger in place of the AC unit on his 3400 cav, worked like a dream.

No reason this shouldn't work, good luck!

Friday, November 25, 2011 1:43 PM
Newt - I know Mars did that... his little build inspired me to go looking for a junkyard centrifugal since I'm not going to fork out what they want for a rotrex! lol

I also loved his BOV. My fav one that I've ever heard in person.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, November 25, 2011 3:52 PM
This is pretty f-ing cool. In for more updates fo sho.

Friday, November 25, 2011 3:53 PM
loving this, keep it up

FU Tuning

Friday, November 25, 2011 3:58 PM
Easiest way to move the bottom is to just refrabricate the bar. It bolts to the "frame" of the car with 2 bolts on each side. That will allow you to place the holes for the bottom mounts where ever you want. You could even leave the radiator at a slight angle if you wanted.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, November 25, 2011 4:15 PM
Talk to fetter, he made his own radiator and talked about changing it up and going to a smaller one so his old one might be for sale, not sure if it will help you but he also made a custom radiator support. not sure if it moved it up or not, but its got quite a bit of room up front.

another question.... do people run into much belt slippage with just the regular belt like that?

Friday, November 25, 2011 7:28 PM
Thanks for the rad support help so far guys! I measured things in Sweetness and it seems the rad has to go forward about 2" at the top, not too sure what I can get away with at the bottom yet. It's been a while since I've played with a rad in a J and I cannot remember just how they sit in the lower frame... I'd like to avoid re-making a new one if I could but I guess I will see. That's a challenge for way down the line, it seems.

Quote:

another question.... do people run into much belt slippage with just the regular belt like that?

Vince, I was wondering if somebody would notice. No, there is no way I'm running the belt like that as there is nowhere near enough wrap on the supercharger if I was to go straight from the charger to the crank pulley. I'll have to insert an idler between the stock tensioner and the supercharger to get about 200 degrees of wrap... that's something I can't tackle though until I have brackets finalized and fabricated and the supercharger is lined up perfectly on my laser level. I *have* pre-considered that aspect of things, though!

I was in the garage today for 20 minutes - I super-mounted the charger today... 4 bungee cords. lol. This gave me a final concept of where it could sit, how far forward of the engine it would stick out, how high my gravity oil drain would be (just barely) and potentially what bolts (mounting points) I could somehow use on the engine/block to support this thing. I've come up with an idea of how I want to do it, everything is pretty tight to be honest but I think I found a way to securely mount it. I'm not too sure how much I can do with wood mockup brackets as I don't think it'll be enough to hold the charger up during mockup... I may have to find a way to brace it first before I can really give that a try. I'm going to pick up a bit of flat bar and some bolts for the charger and see if I can at least get it to be supported so I can make cardboard templates and start from there. I think If I use the lower alternator bolt as a top mount to square things up and then make a few "legs" off of the lower supercharger bolts I'll be able to hold it in a good place to make some templates and see what I'm working with.

Hey, fabrication of this kind is new to me, I'm working with whatever ideas I can come up with. If anybody has any kind of a suggestion I'd love to hear it! Any help is appreciated.

Progress on this will be slow - I need to *learn* to weld before I can weld some of the stuff for the final brackets but I think if I can figure out the brackets I'll be in okay shape. Good thing I got myself a Lincoln Mig-Pack this summer to learn with!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, November 25, 2011 8:02 PM
A couple of thoughts for you. Would a shorter belt work? Also for the radiator how about 2 6"x3" pieces of steel welded to the current lower support projected forward drilled out with a rubber grommet to hold the lower part of the radiator? The only.issue I would see is clearance on the good latch support member. Which could be redesigned to kick out and around the radiator.

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:19 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:A couple of thoughts for you. Would a shorter belt work? Also for the radiator how about 2 6"x3" pieces of steel welded to the current lower support projected forward drilled out with a rubber grommet to hold the lower part of the radiator? The only.issue I would see is clearance on the good latch support member. Which could be redesigned to kick out and around the radiator.

New brackets welded to the current bracket... now that's more like it! I think that's definitely do-able... I'll look into it. I measured the rad in Sweetness and it seems I can move it forward 3" comfortably without having to worry about hitting the front latch support... that should basically give me the room I need. Thanks for the idea it's def at the top of my list when I get to that point - I'll have some 1/4" steel left over from making the brackets I'm sure.

As for the belt - that belt is actualyl too SHORT right now for where the charger sits... but as I said if I were to put it on with the current pulley configuration the belt would barely go around the supercharger in an "L" and that's not acceptable at all - the belt will slip on the charger at higher RPM's. From everything I understand I want about 200 degrees of belt wrap which is a "U"... adding an idler between the tensioner and charger will allow the belt to wrap "up" around the bottom of the charger pulley giving me a better wrap.

An idler is about $30 so it's a small investment to know I have the belt around the charger as much as I can manage.

Lovin the ideas coming my way - thank you guys! I really do appreciate it.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Saturday, November 26, 2011 3:51 AM
Thats exactly what I was thinking for the lower rad support. Welding on 2 tabs for the factory grommets to sit in would be a about a 20 minutes job and would give you all the clearance you need.
As for the hood latch, dont even worry about it. Without the AC condensor infront of it, you have TONS of room before they would make contact.
I will swing by sometime this week and we can bounce some ideas around.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:00 AM
I say just wrap the belt around the charger 360, then move to the next pulley

Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:35 AM
I can't wait to see this!

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:43 PM
Dear god those superchargers are a nightmare... Hope you have spares just in case. They tend to destroy themselves very quickly.

Quit messing around and get a Lysholm...

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog

Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:52 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:Dear god those superchargers are a nightmare... Hope you have spares just in case. They tend to destroy themselves very quickly.

I thought the firetruck was coming when I heard that. lol

Sunday, November 27, 2011 8:54 PM
Qwik2k2z24 wrote:Dear god those superchargers are a nightmare... Hope you have spares just in case. They tend to destroy themselves very quickly.

Ahh yes a Lysholm. A little TOO loud for me, even with a silencer.

The G-Lader needs more maintenance yes, and it will grenade if you over abuse it, over spin it, run garbage oil through it and don't take good care of it, and everybody wants you to replace it with a fancy new unit...

Sounds like a familiar engine platform... Its fussy but it can be so good if you're good to it.

But that's exactly why we love our LD9's, no?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:16 PM
Very cool build! I read over this in the boost forum when you posted, glad to see this actually happening. Subscribed for sure!

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:15 AM
You know there's a reason why most VW guys run kicking and screaming from those things, right?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search