Winter progress on a yellowcav! - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Winter progress on a yellowcav!
Monday, January 09, 2012 9:16 PM
Hi there Jbody.org!
I have been creeper on this site for a long time. I thought I would share finally some pics of my ride!
I have had this car for over 4 years and have done quite a bit to and have alot planned for it in the near future.

Exterior:
On the outside of the cavalier was starting to look very @!#$ty. After 2 accidents, being keyed, faulty painting(done by previous owners), chipping clear, and rust it was time for a huge make-over
rusty quarter pannel (old pic it got alot worse!)

EEWW!

The new pannel!

Not bondo'ed yet bondo yet...

A friend of mine is gonna paint the whole car for me very soon. Here is the paint and suplies he will be using. Not top of the line but this isn't a show car, its just my DD

The way she stands now with winter tires and rims. (I know ugly!!!)

Im gonna change up the cavalier a bit but the color is staying the same. Random spec's on the exterior of what its gonna look like...
-new base bumper
-vert side skirts
-no side modlings
-spoilerless trunklid
-new quarter pannels
Interior:
Nothing special here just a Z24 interior swaped out for my base junk. My steering whell is out of a Z34 lumina. People have mixed feelings about the wheel but I love it and its great feel! Im gonna get rid of those damn floor mats, I know I know there ugly as sin!!!

suspension:
On the suspension side of things im searching for a FE2 sway bar at local junkyards.
I just got my totally awsome camber caster mounts from OEM. Hoping to get these bad-ass mounts in with my pro-kit

My lowering springs..

Engine:
I try really hard to keep it clean and I constant working on tuckng my wires and stuff. A all 3" custom cold air intake and more polished and painted things are to come.

For more info on my build you can check out my profile or ask me. I would love to hear some feed-back! Let me know what you guys think!

Re: Winter progress on a yellowcav!
Monday, January 09, 2012 9:49 PM
looks like she coming along, cant wait to see er with the fresh paint

Monday, January 09, 2012 10:16 PM
Looks like a good start so far. I use Nason pretty frequently, it's a good paint IMO. Definitely not top quality, but it's great for a DD. Haven't used the clear, but the base is easy to work with and lays down pretty well.

If you don't have luck finding a sway bar locally, I have my stock off my 04 (forget what diameter but it's the largest one offered). I can look into a shipping quote if interested.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 11:16 AM
Im going to admit your doing a very good job with the car. Though some people might think its a Z24 by the exterior....thus increase the horsepower on that 2200 with boost!

GMR has got nothing on this
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:05 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:Looks like a good start so far. I use Nason pretty frequently, it's a good paint IMO. Definitely not top quality, but it's great for a DD. Haven't used the clear, but the base is easy to work with and lays down pretty well.

i also spray with nason and like the base and the clear for the price its awesome and if you take care of the paint it'll last too

RIP Cpl Derek Kerns And Cpl Robby Reyes
24th MEU VMM-261 (REIN) V22 Crewchiefs
11 April 2012 Morocco (African Lion)
Tuesday, January 10, 2012 12:43 PM
"8 Pushrods FTW"

Love it. I like the steering wheel as well. Looks like it is coming along very well.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:05 AM
Thanks for making me feel welcome guys!
Im really glad to hear Nason comes recommended from guys who cars look 100 times better then mine!
@ DOHC tuner: I know, I know! boost would be awesome! I almost had all the parts to boost it but decide to sell most of it to pay for maintenance and repairs my car really needed! Base model bumper is going on again!

@Freelancer1988: Thanks man! God does it confuse the hell out of Honda people!

Today the cavalier is getting dropped off at the shop so I will keep you guys updated!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 11:53 AM
Nathan Kalsek wrote:Thanks for making me feel welcome guys!
Im really glad to hear Nason comes recommended from guys who cars look 100 times better then mine!
@ DOHC tuner: I know, I know! boost would be awesome! I almost had all the parts to boost it but decide to sell most of it to pay for maintenance and repairs my car really needed! Base model bumper is going on again!

that last part right there makes you 100x smarter in my book.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:38 PM
keep it up i just got mine finished and its very well worth it when its all said and done,in for more progress pics.
Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:09 AM
I like it, don't forget to grab the D bushing clamps off the car at the yard as well for your front sway bar. and use the bolt to help you use the right tap n die to clean out your subframe bolt holes. when I had my 01 base they were rusty and I was happy I ran a tap through them otherwise if it snapped I'd have been sol.

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:00 PM
blucavvy wrote:
Nathan Kalsek wrote:Thanks for making me feel welcome guys!

that last part right there makes you 100x smarter in my book.

Thanks man! haha means alot!

William I hope mine turns out nearly as good as yours. You set the benchmark so high tho! lol

JUCNBST good idea! I never tought to use dies and taps! lol My friend who is a GM tech said it very common for them to have to re-weld studs on a J-bodies sub-frames...I dont want to be one of those people! lol

Here is some small progress pics...
here is a monte shifter I picked up at the junkyard Im gonna try to mod it to fit. I think it looks alot better then the stock one...

Wheel well rust cut out and ground down..

no pictures of the pannel being welded in, I wasn't there for that. My friend got a donner quarter pannel torched out of the junkyard (a huge chunk to prevent warping) and he cut and welded it in the an duraglassed and bondo'ed it before I could take in-progress pics...

Antenna went bye-bye ...

working on the new door. Im having a hell-of-a-time geting this thing to line-up.(has been in to many accidentsis probably why)
Tomarrow its part two! Im gonna make that door my bitch! haha

Once the door is on, the prep work shuld fly by. Im excited! Also we are putting a trunk lid that has no spoiler and shaving key lock! should look sick once its done.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:01 AM
What are you going to do for the radio antenna now that you've shaved the mount? Is there an alternative antenna that stays inside the car?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 7:47 AM
Looks good man. In for progress pics.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:13 AM
Thanks colt!

VTLoki wrote:What are you going to do for the radio antenna now that you've shaved the mount? Is there an alternative antenna that stays inside the car?

Yes! They are called internal antenna's. You can find them on amazon or ebay for 20-40 bucks. people hide them under wiper cowls headliners etc. I haven't ordered one yet because all my $$ going to misc things for the prep and paint.

Well no pics for this update...
still cant get the new door and old fender to line up properly I took the fender completely off and moved the bolts all the way back between the body and the hinge and adjusted the ones between the door and hinge and it helped with the over-lap but the door budges out and still do not want to sit flush with the fender! I might order a new fender and see how that works. anyone got any other ideas?

When I gave up on the fender and the door I took the "guts" off my old door and put it on the new one. Door latch, interior door handle, lock, and tinted window all went to the new door.
Put the new trunk lid on and worked on shaving the key-hole off. Besides our door hang-up we got a lot accomplished the past two days. Im hoping it will only be 2-3 more weeks until its all done but I have my doubts. DAMN do I miss driving my cavalier!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:43 AM
Well haven't updated this in awhile! The car got primered and painted a few weeks ago! Im semi-happy with the final product...
My biggest pet-peeve is that we missed a few dings and small dents in the body work.
second pet-peeve that A hose union broke while the car was being painted and sprayed dirt into the front bumper and passenger fender wet clear! :S When trying to fix the dirt issue we only made it worse. Another quart of paint and clear is gonna have to bought and completely re-do the fender and front bumper. But it looks like Im gonna get another bumper anyways so it all work out..I guess. Im getting a 95-99 Z24 front bumper converted for the bigger headlights from a forum member on GMSCF.com.
In the end im happy with most of it, its about a 8-10 footer but its no show car, and is a lot better then before, so I really don't care.
Anyways here are the pics of the car
Its first wash...

If all my struts come in this week (amazon decided to ship one at a time?! lol) it should be lowered thurs or fri. It sits really high in these pictures because it still had no interior. I have been working on getting that back in the stock carpet looks like ass so Im looking into some aftermarket cut-pile nylon replacement that is alot lighter, but thats after I fix the bumper and fender.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 11:12 AM
Nathan Kalsek wrote:Thanks colt!

VTLoki wrote:What are you going to do for the radio antenna now that you've shaved the mount? Is there an alternative antenna that stays inside the car?

Yes! They are called internal antenna's. You can find them on amazon or ebay for 20-40 bucks. people hide them under wiper cowls headliners etc. I haven't ordered one yet because all my $$ going to misc things for the prep and paint.

If you have an Autozone where you live they sell internal amplified antennas for 15 dollars! I almost bought one today but for some reason I really like having an external antenna...i know im weird

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:10 PM
ive heard that those internal ones dont work too well, any input on that

Modding my j since I found the org
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 12:48 PM
You may not be happy with the final paint finish but that's easier to fix than bad metal work... which looks pretty good from those photos.

Closeups of the affected areas that you repaired metal-wise? What did you use for the metal down at the rocker? Did you shape that or did you get it from a donor?

Thanks...

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:31 PM
Good job, just keep her out of the snow.

GMR has got nothing on this
Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:01 PM
Awsome! Thanks Mike! I will have to look into that because I didn't buy one yet! I have been a busy bee with school and work.

alejandro davila wrote:ive heard that those internal ones dont work too well, any input on that

No input yet! lol But when I get it installed I'll let you know! I really don't care if the reception is all that good, im a HUGE CD person, they never play good stuff on the radio anymore! lol

SweetnessGT wrote:You may not be happy with the final paint finish but that's easier to fix than bad metal work... which looks pretty good from those photos.

Closeups of the affected areas that you repaired metal-wise? What did you use for the metal down at the rocker? Did you shape that or did you get it from a donor?

Thanks...

-Chris-

Yea sure man I'll get some pics of the afflicted areas tomarrow the flash on the camera doesn't work! :/
I used a quarter pannel replacement from sherman parts, Boosted2point4 reffered me to them.

DOHC_tuner wrote:Good job, just keep her out of the snow.

Thank you sir! I am! as soon as it snows I grab the olds mini-van keys and drive that! lol Next year I want to buy a sunfire to drive around and put alot of the yellow cav parts on it and take the yellow cavalier in a new direction.

here is the modded bumper Im buying...

The stock carpet. After scrubbing for hours it still has 10 year-old dr.pepper stains. Once I get the outside squared away Im buying new stuff. Cut pile, nylon, dark black.

Oh and here is what the shifter looks like after I put the monte shift boot on...

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:45 AM
ah yes ive missed that bumper, im glad he found a buyer finally!

Thursday, March 01, 2012 2:44 PM
Nice man very clean build!

Sunday, March 04, 2012 2:14 PM
I like where this is going man! keep up the good work!
I always loved the 00-02 headlights on 95-99 bumpers

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:16 AM
Thanks for the comments guys! I really am excited about the new look with the bumper.
here are some of the paint flaws I was talking about...

sorry it tooks so long the weather has been bad and school work has been a bitch.

but on a more positive note here are the updates!
Interrior back in the car!

prokit installed I've put 300 miles on the new struts springs and mount and boy oh boy are nice!

Then yesterday I worked on tucking a few more things and cleanning up all the dust that built up fom the body shop..

here is the 3" CAI intake Im working on building. I need to get black couplers, cant stand the blue!

Once the bumper and fender are fixed I plan on getting a new radiator, install my OBX hoses, polished thermostat housing, putting a fresh coat of engine paint on the front of the block, Installing ABS delete block, tucking the rest of the wires.
Oh and I need to install an oil pressure and volt gauge on the inside. A wideband gauge in the future.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search