95 Sunfire 2.2 turbo build. 250HP or bust! - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 95 Sunfire 2.2 turbo build. 250HP or bust!
Monday, January 30, 2012 8:45 PM
If you pull the plastic covers in the wheel well, you Can access the crank pulley quite easily, then it's a matter of getting a socket with an extension on it to rotate. Not that bad IMO

Good luck with the build! I'm doing a build this spring my 2200, shooting for 350whp or so... Hope I get there!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, January 30, 2012 8:47 PM

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:55 AM
Good luck with this man. You should EASILY make 250 on your motor. :tup:

Dan

Currently on jackstands.

Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com
email: dan at clubhousecustoms dot com
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:34 AM
juicedz4 wrote:Good luck with this man. You should EASILY make 250 on your motor. :tup:

Dan

Thanks juicedz4. Your build and fab skills have always impressed me, and inspired me to make this 2.2 the best it can be.
After creating this thread, and seeing how much some other 2.2 OHV's are making, I'm revising my goal to lower 300's. I remember the good ole' days when 250 hp on a 2.2 OHV was a lot. I guess those days are gone...

Thursday, February 02, 2012 4:57 PM
Ok, so, I've got a mystery on my hands. My ride home from work took 2+ hours when I only work 4 miles from home. I left work, and while in the parking lot, heard some weird noises from the engine bay, and then all of a sudden, a thud, and the charging/battery light came on on the dash board. At that moment, I knew I had broke a belt. I stopped, looked under the car, and sure enough, belt laying on the ground. I thought, ok, so i'm not charging the battery, I should be able to make it home.
Before I was even able to get 1000 feet, the temperature started to go up, really fast... So, I puled over, and I turned the motor off, just as it was approaching the warning line. I sat there, letting it cool, and looked at the belt. It actually wasn't broken, just frayed. It was still in one circular connected piece. I looked at the flat side, and saw a rubbed strip, along the entire length of the belt, leading up to the pieces that were frayed. Something was RUBBING IT!. I ended up finding a spare belt in the trunk; spare parts FTW. lol. So, I set about putting this one back on, and I looked all over for what may have been rubbing on the outside end of the belt. I couldn't find anything. I checked all the pulleys, they were tight, I didn't see a bolt that was possibly extended, and hitting it. So, I got the new belt on, and started the car. I heard the same clunking sound. I ran around to look at the belt while the car was on, but didn't see anything obvious.. The sun was almost set, so I didn't have much light either. I had my suspicions on the power steering pulley. Its been dry without fluid for a while, because it leaks, and I was trying to fix it this week. Maybe from it not having fluid, a part broken inside the pump, and was making noise.
I decided to try and make it the remaining way home, I got on the highway for the two exits I need to go, and as I was approaching the first exit, guess what happen..... The charging indicator came on again... I knew immediately that the second belt had broke. I thought, only one exit to go, but again, the temperature started to shoot up SO FAST! I turned off the engine, and coasted with my hazards on for as far as I could go. I coasted to the shoulder and began to wait for it to cool again. Also, for those wondering, the outside temp is 35F at this time. So, not hot at all. I take a look under the hood, and see that the belt is still "mostly in place". and that the fray in on the side away from the engine. This is a new piece of info. Maybe it will help isolate the cause. I pull the belt out, and wait 40 minutes for the temp to go down.
Then I drove it the remaining 3/4 of a mile to the exit, and parked it just after the exit. I still wasn't home, but I was close enough to walk. I didn't go all the way home because, guess what, IT WAS SO HOT AGAIN!!. right up at the border line again.. I'm truly amazed at how it gets so hot so fast when the water pump isn't turning.

Out of all the pulleys, the power steering pump does have a little give to it, but not enough that I think it would cause this problem. But I could be wrong.
What do YOU think is destroying my belts???

Thursday, February 02, 2012 5:18 PM
sounds like something could be out of line, not just the pulley.

Thursday, February 02, 2012 6:35 PM
Since this is the photos and media forum, here's some photos to help solve the mystery.

Two belts, still in one piece, but not 100%. Yes, one is larger because one is for AC and the other is no AC ( which still works on a car with AC, this was my backup one).

Close up 1: notice the marking along the entire top side of the belt.

Close up 2: better detail of the rubbing against the belt.

Thursday, February 02, 2012 6:51 PM
Check the alt bracket and make sure none of the bolts came loose. I threw a belt or two when my old ln2 had loose bracket bolts. At idle it was cool but driving it made it come off

Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:05 PM
Good tip, I'll check on that in the morning. Are you referring to the two big ones that bolt into the front of the block, or the ones on the top of the head bolts? I know the ones on top of the head bolts are ink, but I don't think those do the majority of the work. It's probably the two (maybe three) big ones in the front.

Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:35 PM
Off hand idk which were loose on my old cav but it was the alt bracket. I'd check them all just to make sure.

Thursday, February 02, 2012 9:54 PM
Also check the tensioner. It might be coming apart when you have tension on it. Also spin all the pulleys and make sure they feel like they spin freely and there is not any roughness to any of them.

Saturday, February 04, 2012 7:08 AM
Did you get the belt issues taken care of?

Saturday, February 04, 2012 9:43 PM
I looked at things this morning, after letting the car sit. I decided to trim one of the belts that was frayed, and put it back on the car, and see if I could see what was causing the problem. I first checked all the pulleys and they all spin freely. So, I put the belt on, and started the car. no noise, everything was fine. I revved the car, no problem. I even drove the car around a little spirited around the block, and there was no problem. So, at this point I was a little confused. I started to wonder if the problem was heat based. That made me think, what would cause the belt to have this problem when the car was warmed up. Nothing immediately came to mind. was able to be press it about an inch on the top. between the Alternator and the tensioner. I'm wondering if the problem is the tensioner, and that after the car has warmed up, the tensioner is more likely to be less stiff? If that makes sense. if it's perhaps applying less tension to the belt when it's warmed up. The tensioner was probably last replaced in 2004/2005. I wouldn't be surprised if it needed another tensioner. So, my plan for tomorrow is to replace the tensioner, and see if that makes the belt feel any stiffer than it did this morning. I also picked up a new belt.

I also learned that my AC pulley sounds a little gritty when I turned it by hand. I think I need to somehow make it spin a bit more freely. It makes lots of noise when the car is running. Anyone have any advice on this? Do I need to disassemble the pulley/clutch? lubricate?

I pulled my power steering pump after doing all this, because I want to try and fix my power steering leak from there. I think I just need an o-ring for the high pressure supply line, but I'll be damed if I can find the right size. I bought the Power Steering seal kit, but it's not in there....

Saturday, February 04, 2012 11:35 PM
Your ac clutch is probably bad and needs replaced. Also the PS pump I bought had the o-ring in it.

Saturday, February 04, 2012 11:45 PM
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:Your ac clutch is probably bad and needs replaced. Also the PS pump I bought had the o-ring in it.

Your new pump came with that oring on the high pressure side? I was starting to get desperate and I'm considering buying a new high pressure line which should come with the oring on it.

Thursday, February 09, 2012 9:33 PM
I haven't resolved the belt issue or the power steering leak yet, as I'm recovering from hip surgery for a torn labrum. Injury I had from triathlon and marathon training. Anyways, I'm looking for car parts as I recover, and I need a pushrod guide plate, since mine is cracked. Apparently, gm has discontinued the part. No one has any. Anywhere. Dealer, aftermarket, online. No where. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm about to just remove the current one, and take it down to the local machine shop to get mine repaired/welded.

Thursday, February 09, 2012 10:23 PM
VTLoki wrote:
MRThompson (jrthompson) wrote:Your ac clutch is probably bad and needs replaced. Also the PS pump I bought had the o-ring in it.

Your new pump came with that oring on the high pressure side? I was starting to get desperate and I'm considering buying a new high pressure line which should come with the oring on it.

Yes both. The one for the high pressure and one for the resivoir.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:02 PM
As I'm waiting to recover from hip surgery, I thought i'd post some pics of the car as it stands today. Nothing special. 1995 ln2 motor, build with wiseco pistons, eagle rods, top feed conversion, etc. You can check my registry for details. All it's missing is a turbo

Close up of the AFPR mounted for my top feed conversion.

Where a Turbo should be, haha. Anyone have recommendations on how to bend the oil feed so that the oil level is still correct once a turbo manifold is in the way??

Thoughts on the engine bay? I know it's a little old, and 'worn'. Function over form, i guess.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:13 PM
Oh yah, and as for the search for the 2.2 95-97 LN2 pushrod guide plate that I need to replace because mine is cracked..... The search still continues. I talked to a dealer, and GM has discontinued the part. NO ONE SELLS IT!!! I've ordered it from 3 different online catalogs that listed it. No one has it. They've all had to cancel the order.
I'm going to have to remove the one I have, take it to the machine shop, and get it welded/repaired. I could possibly try a junk yard, but don't want to drive that far to check.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 2:59 AM
Sometimes you dont need to bend the dip stick, it all depends what manifold your using.
I made my custom manifold, and left it right in its stock location.
Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:56 AM
Ive heard of people using the s10 dipstick setup. Not sure if that will meet your needs.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:55 AM
Pictures of the topfeed conversion?

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:10 AM
jason norwood wrote:Pictures of the topfeed conversion?

It's funny you should ask. I just found my old 5 year old backup hard drive a few days ago, with all kinds of good sunfire photo goodie's on it, including the top feed conversion photo's. When I get home today, I'll upload them, and get them posted here. For the conversion, I basically used the 2200 fuel rail, and had my metal manifold machined to accept the larger top feed injectors. This had the unforeseen circumstance of not being able to open the throttle plate more than 5-10%, because it hit the new fuel rail. To fix that, I had a spacer machined to the throttle body to increase the height of it.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 7:41 PM

Here's the finished intake manifold for the top feed conversion:

Here's a shot to show how deep the injectors are in the manifold.

Showing it near the cylinder head, another angle

In this version, the brass fitting was JB welded in, but that didn't hold up and I had a fuel leak. I had to braze it on to seal the leaks.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 8:03 PM
Here's some more photo's from my first re-build a few years ago.

Forged pistons, and ARP studs.

Head with manifold bolted to it.

Head mated to the build block.

ARP head studs shown here. You can also see the ported exhaust port.

Here's the other piece of the top feed conversion, where I needed to use this plate to elevate the plenum/throttle body.

This angle makes it look like a piece of art.

top view of the machined spacer

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:36 AM
On the belt. One of your pulleys is either bent, or one of them is out of alignment with the rest of the pulleys.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search