Its All-Motor......just with a Turbo. - Page 6 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Its All-Motor......just with a Turbo.
Tuesday, November 06, 2012 10:03 AM
WINNING!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 10:30 AM
My new fuel line showed up

Good thing they did as the other setup I had started leaking for some odd reason.

The Parts.

Nearly done, just need a boss to AN connector to finish up the feed line.

Close Up.

Looks much better than the red stuff.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 11:43 AM
MUCH MUCH BETTER!

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, November 07, 2012 11:49 AM
Thanks

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 12:54 PM
Looks much better!
Same fittings and hose that I use too, no complaints with mine!

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 2:34 PM
Looks great!

Curious...what did you do to hold the stock fuel lines from flopping around when using the LSJ valvecover?
Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:02 AM
I cut a little bracket out of aluminum that I attached to the top bolt of the exhaust cam end cap thing.

Then simply drilled a hole in the other end and put a bolt through the bracket on the fuel line and through the bracket I made.

Simple and works great.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:22 AM
Looks great! I love the stock look. I say ECU relocate please

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:33 AM
Great thanks!

Now I need to drop this supercharged and find me a Hahn kit!
Thursday, November 08, 2012 8:38 AM
Yes, I should add tho that I have a full LSJ head, not just the valve cover.

Which is why my solution works, if you just have the valve cover you won't have this option.

Actually I don't even remember if the fuel lines bolt to the head or bolt to the valve cover on a 2.2...I'm assuming valve cover?

Thursday, November 08, 2012 11:31 AM
Yup the fuel lines bolt to the valve cover on the L61's

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, November 08, 2012 12:53 PM
I saw a spot I can do something similar to mount the lines to the valve cover. Just go to find the time.
Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:25 PM
I really wish I bought this crap off of Ryan. It looks so nice all cleaned up.

Well done, sir.
Monday, November 12, 2012 8:03 AM
Well got my new wideband sensor in this weekend and decided to give it a go to see where the tune was at.

Currently seeing only 6psi, AFR is 10:1, timing advance is stock, -5 degrees....

Still pulls like a freight train, hooks up somewhere in 3rd gear

Monday, November 12, 2012 8:19 AM
love black line and fittings. great choice.

It's nice to be injected but love being blown.
Monday, November 12, 2012 12:44 PM
i dig it

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Monday, November 19, 2012 9:23 AM
Well, I took the car on a solid 1,200km road trip to visit a friend over the weekend, and a few problems arose.

First, my cutout motor fell off. No idea how it can disconnected from the plate, but it just fell right off, so thats @!#$ now. Had to make emergancy repairs in the part store parking lot, no way I was driving home 500km open downpipe. lol

My intercooler is sorta falling off? The bracket location hahn uses for their intercooler is stupid and provides no torsional rigidity, so instead of the face being perpendicular to the ground, its pointing at the ground now. Gonna fab up some "L" brackets to support it.

My lower charge pipe that goes under the oil pan is way to low to the ground, scraped it a few times...so I'll have to figure something out there.

Seems to have developed a bit of a boost leak, used to hold 6psi strong, now it kinda flutters between 4.5-6psi at WOT. I figure this has something to do with the two issues mentioned above.

Other than that tho the trip went off without a hitch! LOL

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:03 AM
lol youve got balls to drive a car that far soon as it was put together

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Monday, November 19, 2012 11:34 AM
I've never been scared to drive my car anywhere, IMO a properly built car you should be able to rag the piss out of it as long as you want and it should still hold together.

Same thing goes for racing, that is about the same distance to the drag strip I race at, and I drive it down there.

It breaks I leave it wherever it broke, find a way home and just go back and pick it up later.

Plus I wanted to work out all the kinks now so in the spring there will be less surprises

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:47 AM
My buddy was saying the fluttering of the boost pressure could be from not enough load/to low of a psi for my turbo?? Says the wastegate might be venting too much exhaust gas when it opens and I'm losing spool ??

I don't know much about boosted cars, but could this be true? My wastegate is a Tial 35mm. Currently hooked up to a boost pressure source right after the compressor housing, to the bottom nipple on the wastegate, top nipple is vented to atmosphere as per Tial's instructions.

Maybe I'll put my MBC on this week, turn the boost up to 10psi and see what happens Actually, that seems like a good idea regardless

Monday, December 17, 2012 8:54 AM
So bad news.....

Well sorta.

Finally decided to winterize the car this weekend, went outside Sat afternoon and fired it up to let it warm up, went back inside for about 10 mins or so, go back out to check on the car and to my surprise this is what I saw....

That is not nearly half as bad as it was, you could barely see across the street.

And no, that's not just condensation, that's oil.

So at this point I'm thinking "Oh great, my turbo seal went...@!#$ awesome."

Nothing I could really do about it so went down to the gas station to fill up the tank, smoked out the entire street on the way there, then to the car wash to spray off the salt on the side of the car.

Get to the car wash, look inside my exhaust tip and there is an 1/8th of a inch of milky oil in there, so at this point I'm thinking "Awesome....@!#$...my head gasket better not be leaking..."

Pop the hood, and take a peak in the overflow tank, no oil...that's good. Pull the dip stick tube out...and BAM!!! The oil blew out with so much pressure it nearly hit my hood, check for coolant in the oil, none...that's good.

OK, status check...my crankcase is being massively pressurized.....awesome.

So after a second or two it dawns on me....my Exhaust Evac check valve is probably froze shut, remove the hose off the back of the valve cover, fire it back up and the amount of smoke out of the tail pipe is cut down by 3/4....that's good.

Took it for about a 45mins drive to try and burn all the oil out of the exhaust piping/intake piping and it seems like its not burning anymore oil....that's good.

Gonna call the turbo re-builder today and ask how bad this is, I've heard once you push oil past the seals once, it will always leak, even tho it would seem like its not leaking oil anymore.

Got home and noticed oil drops on my driveway, so it must of pushed oil past some seals....I'll have to look at it in the spring and try to figure out where it was leaking, that's not good.

LOOOOOONG story short...don't run an exhaust evac set-up when its below freezing.....LOL

Hopefully I didn't @!#$ up too much stuff....will find out in the spring.

Monday, December 17, 2012 9:07 AM
I think I had this same problem, I actually made a oil dipstick adapter to my vacuum guage and found out mine was pressurized, mine was from not putting a filter on the catch can. and directly hooking lines into the can. FYI

Monday, December 17, 2012 10:21 AM
Ya, I'm 100% certain it was from my exhaust evac check valve being froze shut, the rest of the motor is sealed and that is the only way for any air/gasses to exit the crank case.

Works great when the valve isn't froze shut...not so great when it is apparently.

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:57 PM
Well then, guess I'll not be goin that route on my car.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:42 PM
My crankcase was getting boosted on my setup because my Intake manifold (TurboTechRacing) blocks off the factory PCV port which is between the 2 and 3 runners on the front of the cylinder head. Quick solution: drill and tap a fitting into the mounting plate on the manifold, and run a hose with a check valve from there to the manifold.
I'm not sure if the Hahn manifold does the same, but it's definitely alleviated the problem with my car. The crankcase pressure was running so high that oil was blowing out of the PCV port, eating through the rtv gasket, and working its way into the intake ports on the head, not to mention making a horrible whining noise after driving for around 30 minutes, scary stuff!

Turbocharged '04 Cavalier
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search