3+ years in the making... - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3+ years in the making...
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:22 PM
Finally got back to you, sorry about that. I was a bit busy like I stated in the PM. Do you still need pictures? It will work with a T3 manifold, and the overall turbo size has roughly the same dimensions as a GT3071R.

SRT4 guys use the S200SX RS50 a lot, as well as S256's.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 7:48 PM
SRT4 forums have been whats mostly popping up in my google searching. I found the pics in your build thread and it looks like a good match for my mid to high 300 whp goals. I have a personal rule about buying car parts that comes from buying too many things I end up not using, so I need to think about it for a few days before I comitt.

PS3 ID: Phatchance249
MW3 FTW!
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:46 AM
Shawn McKenzie wrote:SRT4 forums have been whats mostly popping up in my google searching. I found the pics in your build thread and it looks like a good match for my mid to high 300 whp goals. I have a personal rule about buying car parts that comes from buying too many things I end up not using, so I need to think about it for a few days before I comitt.

Yeah no problem man, take your time, i'm in no rush to sell it so no pressure. I'm sure it'll be around a bit.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:59 AM
PICS of new pistons and spec sheet please!

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:02 PM

Beyond that I don't have any more info, thought I had the full spec sheet but can't find it. I have sent an email to Diamond requesting a copy of the specs used to create my pistons, not sure if they will give it to me or not as my name is not on the order.

MW3 FTW!
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 11:54 PM
Mmmmm custom stuff. I'm guessing the yellow stuff on the top in your thermal barrier coating? If you ever have to take the head back off I'd be really interested in seeing how that stuff holds up.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:50 AM
That is @!#$in hot! Approved.

Sunday, June 09, 2013 2:34 PM
Quote:

Mmmmm custom stuff. I'm guessing the yellow stuff on the top in your thermal barrier coating? If you ever have to take the head back off I'd be really interested in seeing how that stuff holds up

Yea it's a thermal coating Diamond did, I have talked to a couple local shops and powder coaters, all said coatings in general but piston coatings specifically have come a long way in the last 5-10 years. I even heard some of the new small boosted motors have piston coatings from the factory.

No real update on the car, been busy and dragging my feet on drilling/taping the manifold for the PCV port in the head. Set a goal to have it on the car in two weeks.

MW3 FTW!
Sunday, June 09, 2013 3:09 PM
hell stock 00-02 LD9's came with friction coating on their piston skirts...

Sunday, June 09, 2013 3:33 PM
Probably to help with the side loading caused by the LD9's rod/stroke ratio. These don't have a piston skirt coating, I know I told the machinist I wanted one but when they came without a noticeable coating I didn't have the time to re-order them, I already felt bad for having the in-law's car over a month longer then I had initially told them. So I'm not sure if the machinist screwed up, if it was Diamond or if there is some reason Diamond didn't do it. Either way I'm not too worried about it, obviously, since the motor seems to be running great.

MW3 FTW!
Sunday, June 23, 2013 3:52 PM
HO manifold went on without a hitch. None of the issues I had before, it does need to be re-tuned to iron things out. As expected it feels to have lost a little low/mid range power and while the butt dyno doesn't feel any more power on the top end, it does climb higher RPM's faster than before. The real test will be to see what it does on the dyno, can't believe i'll have to wait 2+ weeks to get it re-tuned. Thanks to everyone who helped me get it right, I can't believe it took me so long to get it done correctly.

MW3 FTW!

Sunday, June 23, 2013 7:29 PM
thats awesome man. god i hope it wakes that bitch up.....

Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:55 PM
Non-update update. Still isn't tuned because the shop's GM tuner was "unavailable" for a while and due to some personal things I can't spend the money on it right now. The car is running great but its time to address some issues I've been ignoring. It seems to have developed a slow coolant leak and based on the location of wet spots under the car its from the radiator area and not the motor. Also been hearing intermittent squeaking (like bad breaks but not happening when I use the breaks) from the front wheel area and (correct me if I'm wrong) but think its the wheel bearings going bad. At the same time I will finally will be installing the upgraded front break parts (SS lines, Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads) that have been sitting in the garage for almost 3 years now. I'm going to see if they will do the saturn rear disc conversion at the same time but not sure if a regular repair shop will touch something like that.

One last thing that has been bugging me for awhile, since before the motor swap. The best way I can describe it is torque steering but not quite. The car lurches to the left at a certain throttle input (40-50%ish) with little regard to RPM or vehicle speed. Since I haven't driven hardly any other manual FWD cars in the last couple years I don't really have anything to compare it to but my understanding is torque steer is a continuous pull/tug on the wheel in one direction and the force of that pull/tug is worse the harder you accelerate. Mine lurches the same amount every time and stops, so once I pass that "spot" I just have to turn the wheel slightly to compensate and it goes straight. There is no continuous pulling, once I pass that throttle input it acts like a switch is flipped and now I have to turn the wheel to go straight. Its mostly an annoyance but when I'm driving hard it gets dangerous mid corner when the car lurches one way or another, also probably looks like I can't drive or am drunk. Could bad trans mounts causing things to shift around do this? Bad alignment? Or is my perception of torque steer off and that be the likely culprit? Any thoughts/input would be appreciated as I will be bringing this up with the shop when it goes in for the above mentioned things.

MW3 FTW!
Friday, August 30, 2013 9:48 AM
My car is bone ass stock but i have no issue like thst my z goes exactly were i point it ive also drove a 12 sec b16 eg coupe and it didnt have that issue eather all tho it was really fun

I Love My J ♡
Friday, August 30, 2013 9:58 AM
The car lurches to one side because one of your control arm bolts is loose. I 100% guarantee it.

Check all the control arm bolts for torque... the culprit is almost always the one that's hidden by the dog bone lower engine mount.

I had that issue plague Sweetness for 3 years before I finally figured it out. I almost cried after I found it, tightened it, got an alignment and the car drove dead nuts straight even under throttle. In that time I ate up 2 sets of tires badly.

I have that problem with Sickness right now (just started 2 days ago), I need to get under the car ASAP to check all the CA bolts and then go get an alignment before I chew up my Toyo Proxies.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, August 30, 2013 12:08 PM
I just put a k member so i know mine are tight but i would deffanity fallow his advice ^^^^^ something is deffanitly loose and shifting around on ya and tires aint cheap!

I Love My J ♡
Sunday, September 01, 2013 12:18 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:The car lurches to one side because one of your control arm bolts is loose. I 100% guarantee it.

Check all the control arm bolts for torque... the culprit is almost always the one that's hidden by the dog bone lower engine mount.

I had that issue plague Sweetness for 3 years before I finally figured it out. I almost cried after I found it, tightened it, got an alignment and the car drove dead nuts straight even under throttle. In that time I ate up 2 sets of tires badly.

I have that problem with Sickness right now (just started 2 days ago), I need to get under the car ASAP to check all the CA bolts and then go get an alignment before I chew up my Toyo Proxies.

-Chris-

what chris said i had this happen to me, mine backed out but stopped at my subframe (3800 section) i spend an entire saturday on the alignment rack, the tweaked everything to a T and still didn't solve it we were about to right it up as torque steer even tho we knew it swan't because it did it a very light throttle

then we saw it was the hozizontal bushing bolt on the passenger side came loose

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, September 02, 2013 12:20 AM
On Facebook people said my toe could be out as well, I'll check the control arm bolts and get an alignment done. Thanks for the help guys!

MW3 FTW!
Tuesday, September 03, 2013 4:37 PM
I had a control arm bolt back out after I did my poly CA bushings and it would pull around a lot under braking or on grooved pavement. Never really noticed much under throttle but I was running a 2200 with IHE.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 12:03 PM
Shop said the front left control arm bolt had backed out 1/4 - 1/2", going to check the threads and throw some locktite on it to be sure it doesn't happen again, he also sounded pretty sure it wouldn't need an alignment but was going to test drive it to check. Finally had my upgraded break components installed: Powerslot rotors, Hawk pads and Russle SS break lines.

Bad news was they found the source of my slow coolant leak (I didn't even mention the problem to them) and its the water pump, the water pump that was brand new (not reman) 8 months ago when the motor was installed...Calling the shop who installed the motor on my lunch to see what they will do to help.

MW3 FTW!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search