The Purple People Eater...Hide Your Vettes. - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: The Purple People Eater...Hide Your Vettes.
Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:07 PM
Thanks man!

To be honest I'm a bit leery of the 400whp mark now, seems LE5 guys are starting to pop sleeves around that figure.

Might only take it up to 350-375whp and call it a day...I don't really want to put much money into the car this year. I'm hoping to buy a house in the fall.

That being said, I'm still hoping to crack off a 11.XX something in the 1/4 mile, should be entirely possible IMO.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:09 PM
As for the front end..

The trans has a Quaife diff in it built by Todd Miller, its Jon (Airtronics) old trans, going to run stock axles....they are plenty strong and if I snap one they are cheap at the wreckers.

I always bring spares when I go racing as the closest 1/4 mile track is about 5-6hr drive from my house and I drive the car down.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:38 PM
newt wrote:As for the front end..

The trans has a Quaife diff in it built by Todd Miller, its Jon (Airtronics) old trans, going to run stock axles....they are plenty strong and if I snap one they are cheap at the wreckers.

I always bring spares when I go racing as the closest 1/4 mile track is about 5-6hr drive from my house and I drive the car down.

Like a boss!!!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:05 PM
Hahaha ya...she has been good to me, knock on wood....never broke anything yet where I couldn't drive the car home afterwards that far from home.

Blew a diff at a 1/8 mile track about 2hrs from my house once, luckily my buddy had his trailer with him so he drove his car home and I took his cars place on the trailer.

It costs a fortune to trailer my car down with my truck, not to mention the cost of a trailer.

Worst case I can just leave my car at the track, grab a ride home with a buddy and come back the next day with my truck and a borrowed car trailer and pick it up.

It would be an inconvieniance for sure, but saves money hand over fist vs. trailering it down every time.

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:15 AM
Was back in the shop last night, got everything wrapped up...just waiting on a coupler now since I destroyed that other one and its finished.

Quick pic of the washer tank

Boost Controller

New Black Coupler

Notched out the oil pan, you can see how low the charge pipe used to sit, it now is sucked up tight to the oil pan. Super happy how that turned out.

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:28 AM
Wow sweet work on that pan and charge piping!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, May 17, 2013 4:33 PM
Powerblock Blog

BLOWN2POINT4 Ion Quad Coupe Autotragic
Powered By Harrop TVS Made By Tupperware
TVS, LS4 TB, 80's, OTTP Port&Polish I/M DualPass, OTTP H/E, Pacesetter Header, Full 3" Exhaust
Friday, May 17, 2013 5:01 PM
the pan came out good man. I'm starting to think maybe machining the entire thing like I did was overkill.

looking forward to see what this thing is capable of.

Friday, May 17, 2013 5:26 PM
how did you configure you're secondary fuel setup? if you dont mind me asking. or maybe the link to your build thread would be easier

Enjoy life while you can, because you only have one shot. So go BIG or go home.

Friday, May 17, 2013 9:50 PM
Rob Weis (RobsCavZ24) wrote:Powerblock Blog

People in the comments are so ignorant. Mad because a car that cost a quarter of the vette keeps up
Saturday, May 18, 2013 10:31 AM
Nice, looking forward to times from you this year.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 1:31 PM

its funny...people are more concerned about a car that runs very quick on an n/a all motor car without any boost at all, stomping up on a very fast FACTORY purchased corvette.
Id be more mad at the vette owner for running 13's in that car..his man card should be taken away.

people don't seem to understand you build what you've got. not everyone can go BUY a powerful V8 and then bash those who spend time and money getting to know their car, wrench on it for hours on the weekends, and take pride in their builds. Ive always loved RWD monsters...muscle cars are way more fun to drive hard than FWD tuners, but its amazing what you can do with the little cars with a proper build and some boost. I love it when muscle car guys want me to pull over and talk after being pulled on by a cavalier on the highway. Ill never forget it...I had one guy tell me his Mustang club never let it go that a cavalier on steelies, mismatched hood, and a bad tune beat his GT that had full bolt ons lol.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, May 20, 2013 7:11 AM
blu04DD wrote:

its funny...people are more concerned about a car that runs very quick on an n/a all motor car without any boost at all, stomping up on a very fast FACTORY purchased corvette.
Id be more mad at the vette owner for running 13's in that car..his man card should be taken away.

people don't seem to understand you build what you've got. not everyone can go BUY a powerful V8 and then bash those who spend time and money getting to know their car, wrench on it for hours on the weekends, and take pride in their builds. Ive always loved RWD monsters...muscle cars are way more fun to drive hard than FWD tuners, but its amazing what you can do with the little cars with a proper build and some boost. I love it when muscle car guys want me to pull over and talk after being pulled on by a cavalier on the highway. Ill never forget it...I had one guy tell me his Mustang club never let it go that a cavalier on steelies, mismatched hood, and a bad tune beat his GT that had full bolt ons lol.
Agreed, lots of ignorance there.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:45 AM
Thanks guys, the oil pan thing was much easier than I expected. I simply used a half inch hole saw to punch two holes through the oil pan and and cleaned up between them and took the rest of the material out with an aluminum carbide bit and die grinder....spent about 15mins total on it.

I saw that powerblock post on Friday...yes those dudes are quite ignorant. I posted from my facebook account in there but there was really not keeping up with the comments nor was it really worth it. Let the internet hate, I didn't build the car so people on the internet would like it...I built it cause I like it.

Ben Wootson - I cut up the fuel rail and used GM Quick Connect to AN fittings to attach the new lines, basically it goes from the tank, to the extra fuel rail, to the factory fuel rail and then back to the tank. This is a link to my build thread, should have some good pictures in there.... http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=467502&t=467502 .

I finished the car off a Friday night, the charge pipes aren't quite as high as I would like...but much better than before and they are as high as they can go without completely modifying how I have them.

The car runs much better now that I have that boost leak addressed, currently the boost is set to 11psi, still very rich and very little timing but it pulls strong, it will break the tires loose from a roll in 2nd gear. I will probably turn it up a bit more to around 13-14psi and then start tuning it in.

I bought a new GoPro on Friday, so I should have some videos up sooner than later

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:32 PM
Bumped the boost to 13psi tonight, still haven't done much in the way of tuning...its been raining none stop all week, so its still super rich.

Regardless, it doesn't even think about getting traction from a 2nd gear roll anymore, 3rd gear will also cut loose if the conditions are right.

Here is a quick vid I made, short shifting big time into 3rd...as traction in 2nd gear is just not possible anymore.

(ps. I just uploaded the vid, so if it doesn't work right away check back in later.)

Not sure what kind of power its making, but I would assume 310-330ish.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:32 PM
No traction? DOT slicks.

Looks like it should be a lot of fun.

Friday, May 24, 2013 12:09 AM
Sounds about like my power band. The way it ramps up there. I was at 323 at 16psi I believe. Going to look back in your thread for turbo size and motor specs again....

If your profile is up to date, then I had a 57 trim which is one difference. Powerband still sounds VERY familiar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, May 24, 2013 12:10 AM

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:44 AM
Looking and sounding good man. I gotta get a ride in this thing this summer.

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:16 AM
I'm really enjoying the sound! Is that a go pro 1? Video looks a bit grainy to me, although it could also be my desktop being a bitch.

Friday, May 24, 2013 10:41 AM
Thanks guys!

Vince, ya my profile is up to date. I'm hesitant to turn the boost up much more without knowing how much HP the car is putting down. Most LE5 guys are running around 340-375whp on anywhere between 12-15psi. Also, all things the same, since my motor made 193whp all-motor, on 14.7psi (2 atm) it should make double that figure, so 386whp).

Either way, I wont be able to dyno tune it before I go racing next weekend, so I'm going to street tune it in at 13psi and see what happens. The 1/4 mile times should tell some of the story as well. I will hopefully be able to get it on the dyno before the next race.

As it sits though I wouldn't be surprised if this thing knocks out a mid to low 12 in the 1/4.

Friday, May 24, 2013 1:18 PM
Man... videos like that make me want to finish my car something fierce.

Clean up the richness before you race, I wouldn't want to go balls to the walls all day being over-rich.

Have you done much with the timing?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Friday, May 24, 2013 1:49 PM
Ya I'm going to pull some fuel from it for sure, even tho it I dont really think ill be able to wash the walls down with the oil squirters, I'll still feel a bit better if it was leaner.

As for the timing, its basically the stock table, with 5 degrees taken out of the higher end and then smoothed out. It was just for a base tune, once i get the laptop fired up and start tuning I'll be able to tell where im at, hopefully i can put some back in.

Saturday, May 25, 2013 4:49 PM
So my tune is all @!#$ up, its knocking like a mother @!#$, currently showing 8.0* of knock under WOT......no good.

Ryan you poke around in here anymore??

Saturday, May 25, 2013 5:10 PM
Phantom knock?

Saturday, May 25, 2013 5:15 PM
haha not looking like it, comes on hard everytime I go WOT, surprised it hasn't gone BOOM yet...LOL

Talking to Ryan now tho, hopefully he can shed some light on the situation.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search