Sweetness: Doing it right one last time... - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Sweetness: Doing it right one last time...
Monday, May 13, 2013 8:58 AM
As Darren said, I proceeded with this with great hesitance. I was happy to put on the rebuilt turbo and new manifold/wastegate and tune with with the FIC and move on with life but he wouldn't hear of it. It finally sunk in that part of the issues I've had are some of the old/original work I did on the car a long time ago.

I'm eliminating the FMU so I have new fuel lines on the way... it's little things like that detail which I realized I needed to re-do. Instead of patching a patch that I patched I'll just start over. It's a lot of work I didn't want to do but as Darren hammered into my head - it has to be done.

There are also a lot of other little things that always bothered me, such as the polishing of parts on this engine. I've come a long way learning to polish aluminum and I feel I should apply it to this car properly, from the manifold to the fuel rail to the fuel lines to the AC lines etc. I won't go crazy but the pieces I've always wanted to polish I will remove and polish properly at this time.

The last thing that's always bothered me is that my manifolds didn't match my head at all. Not even close. This intake manifold finally addresses the intake side and I will be porting the turbo manifold once the engine is out so it finally matches the huge exhaust ports on this head... they are 1/8" larger than the gasket so I will have to make a custom exhaust gasket too. No more choked airflow.

Mike - he's chomping at the bit to tear this car down to the bone... It's a little bothersome how excited he is. I'm hiding the sawzall.

Matt - that really puts it into perspective. It's been a long time since I've even daily driven the car on a regular basis without requiring a tow-truck, bucketloads of money and a lifetime supply of tears.

Hoping I don't let you guys down this time... my goals with the car have changed as I found a compressor map for my turbo 3 years ago and finally plotted it and it came up short for what I initially intended... but at this point I'm not changing it as my entire system is setup around this piece and I cannot stuff a larger wheel into it. (I was told it was possible 3 years ago but my rebuilder has come back and said you just cannot stuff a bigger wheel into it safely. Sad panda.) I'll simply get what I get once the tune is done, who knows maybe I'll get lucky.

I'm most excited to tune it next year... I won't have to sh!t bricks anymore when I put my foot down and let off at 4000 rpm.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Monday, May 13, 2013 9:14 AM
Darren, thanks for kicking Chris in the ass to get this going.

Chris i'm glad to see you still going strong.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, May 13, 2013 1:20 PM
Bringing back a legend!

I would love to see this thing in all its tire slaying glory!

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:20 AM
Definitely excited to see a revival going on here! I'm especially interested in seeing how the AEM FIC pans out, I've been keeping that unit in mind if I get tired of pleading with the ld9 reflash to behave properly. Seems like the AEM will get the job done, and for the price its a very enticing alternative to something like MS.
Looking forward to updates

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 7:08 PM
Well I received a box today, it had the fuel lines I ordered in them...

I got them through a friend of Darrens via facebook, they looked good in the photos initially but upon arrival it was obvious that they had rusted quite a bit (much to my shock)...

Good thing I was intending on polishing them... after an 800 and 1000 grit wetsand followed by 0000 grit steel wool and then finally Black, White & Blue compound on the polishing wheels for an hour the end result is this:

Fitted up to the fuel rail since I was so excited to see the shiny result:

That's all for now... my wastegate stuff is ordered so I can make my relocation elbow and dump tube. Time to practice my welding.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:40 AM
Very nice work on the lines and fuel rail

Jason
99 Z24

LG0/LD9 for Life
10 Year Bash Veteren
Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:17 AM
Awesome work on the lines.

Any tips on doing this. I have done this, or tried, but my end result is spots (lots of them). Almost looks like I get it too hot maybe?

Are you going to clear them so you do not have to redo it?

FU Tuning

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:49 AM
^i always had the same issue. blotchy results.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:56 AM
Get a 35R and quit yer bitchin' lol. Kidding aside, I don't know how you have the patience for polishing ANY car part. I get hand cramps like a mother, and lets face it, no one wants to yank it with a claw hand...

Looking good either way. If you need any welding that can't be done in your garage, I'm only an hours drive away.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:40 AM
The fuel rail took no time to polish, I didn't even sand it I just ran it over the wheel and bam - mirror finish.

But I surmise that it's because the fuel rail is made of a much higher grade of aluminum.

I too, have always suffered from the "blotchy" look to the fuel lines. No matter what I did to hand polish them they wouldn't look right.

I realized tonight that the best way to fight through this is to wetsand the top surface of the rail with 800 and 1000 grit, followed by a quick cleanup of 0000 grit steel wool. That got rid of a lot of the uneven colour (and the rust).

Once that was done I pulled out a black tripoli compound and a hewn wheel and went to work. The lines really wanted to turn hazy upon a first hit of the wheel but I found the best way to get rid of it was a colour action against the wheel and to really let the lines heat up. I was wearing welding gloves and STILL felt the heat of the lines through them as I was buffing them with the first compound, and it took me nearly 40 minutes to get the lines mostly blotch free.

I wiped it down with a clean microfiber cloth to get the remaining compound off and went to work with a white diamond tripoli on another hewn wheel, I did a cut action with this wheel to give the lines a deep colour... this took about 10 minutes.

Another wipe down with a microfiber cloth and I went to work with a blue compound and a loose wheel with a colour action... I finished it off with a dab of Maguires mag & aluminum polish with a microfiber cloth to clean up all the impurities left from polishing... this got the finish you see.

Because it looks to be poor quality aluminum that is under a lot of heat I fully expect the lines to haze up again slowly... fortunately some polishing wool and a good rub down once every few months should keep them shiny. (Like with most finishes maintenance is key, people that polish things forget that and open the hood one day to see a dull and pitted surface.) For storage I generally put the Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish on the aluminum and leave it there as it seals poor aluminum from oxidation. I haven't had to do this to the H.O manifold which has been polished for 3 years sitting under the hood, but then again it hasn't been exposed to engine heat yet.

If you guys have any more questions about polishing I'm happy to assist, I see so many threads where people go 80% of the way but neglect the last 20% to get a mirror shine, which is exactly what I used to do myself.

Sean, sorry man but I'm not changing all my stuff for a new turbo, I really wanted to stuff a bigger wheel into the frame of mine but it's just not possible and I'm just in no mood to start over when it comes to intercooler piping and downpipes. I will take this turbo close to its choke point (25 psi is as far as I want to push that) and whatever comes up on the screen is what I get. If I fall short of my 10 year goal I fall short... I can live with that. I just want to start enjoying it again like I did when I first owned it, and I look forward to finally driving with a smile rather than worry.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:03 PM
wow alot of work. I think I have decided (before this post) to go with painting the lines.

Your look great, but I do not think I can do it.

FU Tuning

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:27 AM
the lines arent steel?

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:51 AM
^^Nope, I had mine polished when I had stock lines.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, May 17, 2013 8:24 AM
That's weird, my Ecotec lines were stainless steel.

I only know this because I once had to take a hacksaw to them, 20mins of my life I'll never get back...lol

Friday, May 17, 2013 8:27 AM
Chris is the polishing god! I'd probably pay to have him do my spare valve cover after seeing the work he's done on that intake manifold.

Anyway, really excited to see how that AEM unit works out. Pulling the motor to get the all wiring right will definitely be worth it in the long run.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, May 17, 2013 9:00 AM
Honestly... I've always thought they were aluminum though I could be wrong. I went through the steps of polishing a stainless metal (Black Tripoli) anyway since these were so rusted and pitted and needed the harsh compound to get them smooth.

If they are stainless then they will be even harder to keep shiny... but - whatever. Once you sand down and polish metal as long as you don't let it corrode and pit it's pretty easy to keep shiny.

Newt - you took a hacksaw to them!? Invest in a pipe cutter, man! Took me about 90 seconds with a fuel line cutter to cut my original lines for the FPR (which I am now removing hence the new stock lines.)

Yellowcav - I'm far from a polishing god, I've just been polishing crap since about 2003 and have learned a lot along the way. I was gifted a used washing machine motor 2 summers ago... it was bolted to a board and a switch installed to turn it on and off, then I fitted a collar to it to bolt up polishing wheels. This thing almost kills a 30 amp circuit breaker every time I turn it on, it's a BEAST. A far better polisher than any bench grinder you can get... most of the "secret" in polishing is heat, you need to heat the metal and the compound up to make them work against one another.

I still loathe hand-sanding and wetsanding... my next investment will be some kind of a media blaster so I can clean parts down without having to strip and sand the living p!ss out of them.

I too am excited to see the AEM unit do what I am 95% sure it can and will do... I've been looking at that option since 2009 (I even made a post in the tuning forum) but nobody has jumped on it. Would you believe the price in 2009 was $395... and the price in 2013 is - $395. Zero price drop, though they have improved the unit somewhat over the years... I can scale the tables from 0 - 9000 rpm and any map values I want as well as switch it to a alpha-N mode should I want. All it does it take the stock signal and modify it before it gets to the injectors/spark plugs so the stock pcm is doing its job and thinks it's doing it's job just fine. One added bonus is they have added in a DUAL tune mode so I will be installing a momentary switch somewhere in the car so that I may switch between two tunes.

This is FAR from an option like an MS which can act as a full standalone... the thing I like about it is that it piggybacks allowing the stock PCM to run the car normally out of boost and do its job monitoring emissions and sensors and knock. I can pass the plug-in emissions test here while giving the car the ability to see up to 25 psi of boost - it even lets you install bigger injectors without touching the stock PCM's injector constant.

It has been very very successful on many platforms and for all intents and purposes it looks like it will work on ours. Sadly I'm a long way off from seeing what exactly it can do but I'll jump that hurdle once I jump the nightmare that is rewiring a car.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Friday, May 17, 2013 9:22 AM
Meh, this Chris kid is "okay" at polishing, still has a lot to learn though...

Friday, May 17, 2013 10:35 AM
Hey look! A polished turd! Lol kidding. Yeah, this is why I paint everything flat black with a "machined" aluminum finish on the accents. No way I have the time to keep my bay that clean haha. Good job to the both of your efforts though.

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:11 PM
I may be interested in this AEM unit as well. My engine will be pulling past 8k and HPtuners tables end at 7k.

Friday, May 17, 2013 6:25 PM
The lines cant be aluminum. Aluminum tarnishes but it will never rust. Stainless only rusts when it has a high iron content, for example cheap stainless steel.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:02 PM
good to see this car coming back from the dead.

if you are committed to this build Chris, it may be the final inspiration I'll need to actually do something concrete about the Skwirl.

maybe it's time for all the oldschool superheroes to make a massive comeback.

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:08 PM
Glad to see its still around. It was my biggest inspiration for my last and final j-body build. To bad the engine @!#$canned itself and the car is scrap now...

Friday, May 17, 2013 10:53 PM
Zs Z wrote:I may be interested in this AEM unit as well. My engine will be pulling past 8k and HPtuners tables end at 7k.

huh? hp tuner's goes to 8192...

Saturday, May 18, 2013 2:34 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
Zs Z wrote:I may be interested in this AEM unit as well. My engine will be pulling past 8k and HPtuners tables end at 7k.

hpt is different for every car scanned.
different PCM = different rules.

hell, there's even differences between model years sometimes.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 6:50 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:

Every tune I have 97 speed density, garys 97 w41 tune, my 01 z tune, the tune you sent me from your car, the tune from Mike, supercharger tune, all only go to 7000 rpm.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search