2013: The year of finish the f$#%ing car already!!! - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2013: The year of finish the f$#%ing car already!!!
Monday, May 20, 2013 2:06 PM
I figured since everyone is posting there progress threads for this year, I'd finally get off my lazy a$$ and do the same. It's been slow moving over the winter and early spring, my daughter was born in December so the car was on the back burner while I enjoyed being a new dad. Any work I did get done was usually on other people's stuff. I did collect some goodies over the winter, and figured it's time to start throwing things on, finish tuning, and finally paint this pig.

Took a quick drive today, and decided to grab one last pic of it's current condition. My plan is to start digging into the body sometime next week and start getting ready for paint. No close up pics, because honestly, the car looks terrible close up. Needs much love.

For those who missed my progress year, or just plain didn't care, the car was LSJ swapped last fall after my stock motor went bye bye when a valve kissed a piston. Still running the same m62 setup as before, though I will be dropping to a 2.9 pulley and adding meth once we work out some of the current bugs. I'm running off a 02 LD9 wiring harness and PCM with the GM speed density reflash, tuning with HP Tuners. Overall works decent, we had some grief early on with desensitizing the knock sensor, but eventually got that worked out. Car is responding much better, though is still lacking some balls where we know it shouldn't be. I occasionally get some flakiness; random stumbles with idle, or the occasional wild AFR fluctuations at extended periods of idle, and the occasional hesitant start. Not gonna lie, some days part of me wants to just toss an eco harness and PCM back in and call it a day. While alpha-n isn't ideal, it did get the job done. I am keeping an eye on PJ's progress with the P12 pcm swap and considering that as an option in the future if I'm not satisfied with the current results in the end.

My profile's list of mods should be complete, so if you're curious of the mods up til now, it should all be there.

First order of business over the winter was to start upgrading the suspension. My 300 year old koni red/ground control setup was getting too uncomfortable to ride around in, and since my main goal for this car is to be a solid auto-x car, they just weren't going to cut it. I was going to wait til spring to upgrade, but came across a deal on low mileage Tein SS's that I couldn't pass up. These are one of the few things I did toss on over the winter in my free time.

Also picked up some aluminum control arms, and started to clean those up. I've had poly bushings sitting around for years, and they'll finally be put to use. I'll be running these unmodded and adjusting the camber via the Tein camber plates. I also wanted to address the rear track, since the unmodded arms are going to give about an extra 1/2", on top of the rear track already looking awkwardly narrow...so PJ is making me some spacers for the rear that I will throw on once I gather the rest of parts needed for the rear disc swap (just going with the Saturn swap)

I've been doing more carbon fiber work lately. I wrapped the bracket that holds the brake distribution block to the master cylinder, and got that installed today.

Also wrapped my interior mirror sails, which have not been installed as of yet.

My seats have been in need of an upgrade. I've never been a fan of the stockers, just not comfortable, and as far as I'm concerned, ugly. Browsing around ebay, I stumbled upon these bad boys, saw no one was bidding, took a few measurements, and a whopping $60 later, I picked up a set of leather Lexus IS300 seats!

The fronts are close to being drop in...the tracks are pretty close width and depth wise, so it looks like I basically need to hack off the feet, and weld on some new ones. I need to obviously wire up the power functions, though I will not be utilizing the heater function. I'm also going to see if I can remove the side air bags and still leave the cosmetic cover intact on the seat, as these are heavy mother f$&*ers!
The rears are going to take a little more creativity, they're about 4" wider, but I'm confident I can make them fit and look clean.

I also grabbed a spare cam cover, and had some AN bungs welded on so I could hook my catch can back up. I finally had a chance to paint it about 2 weeks ago and get it installed.

Started with a coat of some ultra silver I had around:

Followed up by BMW Techno Violet and some clear:

The carbon fiber spark plug cover still needs alot of work, just threw it on quick to see how it's going to look. I think I'm going to relocate the ICM and coil packs..the bright red annoys me and and i want to clean it up. I may end up just ditching the MSD setup and wiring in some LSJ coils since I have them here. Still undecided.

Here's how the bay sits as of today. The strut bar is a cheap ebay piece, I'll be making my own soon. I just ordered some 1" steel tube to work with, and I'll be re-using the ends of the ebay bar where it attaches to the strut towers. I also want to clean up the bay some more, thought I was happy with it last year, but I've decided more wires and hoses need to be relocated..not sure I want to invest the time into a full tuck, but I feel it may be inevitable. I really want to get the car to where I'm 100% satisfied and can just enjoy driving it for a few seasons before I decide it's time to move on to something new.

As far as the body, it's still being painted BMW Sterling Grey, as planned. I have some rolled fenders (courtesy of Tinkles) that be swapped on, and I picked up a brickyard spoiler last week to toss on as well. I'll be sticking with the LSS bumpers/skirts til I can get a hold of a GMX rear lip to finish the new kit. Other than that, nothing major. Still keeping my eyes open for some pre 00 toyo tails, and I'm debating Malibu door handles since I have a pair sitting in my parts pile. I'll be sticking with the current gold wheels.

As far as performance, I'm not trying to break any records, just making a fun to drive car that I can beat on a bit and have fun at auto-x. Like said, I have plans for a 2.9 pulley and meth..if I decide to keep the car long term, I may more seriously look for a TVS, but I'll cross that bridge when it comes.

C&C welcome as always.

Re: 2013: The year of finish the f$#%ing car already!!!
Monday, May 20, 2013 3:20 PM
Hurry up already ,
Looks great

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Monday, May 20, 2013 4:19 PM
I love that valve cover! Car looks great...can't wait to get me some Tein SS
Monday, May 20, 2013 4:33 PM
Thanks! I'm happy with how the cover turned out, just wanted to add a little touch of color to the car

Monday, May 20, 2013 4:42 PM
And that is perfect! Should flow great with the new paint choice
Monday, May 20, 2013 6:37 PM
Did you do anything to the cover, or to the baffling inside when you added the an fittings?

FU Tuning

Monday, May 20, 2013 6:48 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:Did you do anything to the cover, or to the baffling inside when you added the an fittings?

Yes. I removed the splash guard to expose the baffling, and cut passages through the partitions underneath to connect the different section, similar to what JUCNBST did in his how to, cleaned it good, then replaced the splash guard.

Monday, May 20, 2013 7:49 PM
I saw you post these pics on Facebook via whatever j body group .....I really like the engine bay. Great colors, and contrast. any pics of the guts of an lsj Valve cover? I haven't taken one apart yet.

Monday, May 20, 2013 10:13 PM
JUCNBST wrote:I saw you post these pics on Facebook via whatever j body group .....I really like the engine bay. Great colors, and contrast. any pics of the guts of an lsj Valve cover? I haven't taken one apart yet.

Didn't take any pics, but if you're interested I can take the oil shield off my other one and snap a few pics. Basically like the l61 but the pcv port is channeled a bit different.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:21 AM
You are going to need to pull those fenders to run the unmodded control arms. Those wheels are the same offset as my current ones and i need my toyo fenders.

Also, you have too many of my old parts.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:49 AM
really like that cf brake bracket. i woulda lopped off the front section for the abs box but it still looks badass!

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:55 AM
Good stuff Matt, keep it up and finish yours so I have the inspiration to finish the wife's S/C eco swap.
And that Purple is for KGM fairies btw, and I like it, a lot.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:25 AM
When you get around to it snap a pick. Otherwise Eventually I'll get an Lsj valve cover at some point.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:58 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:You are going to need to pull those fenders to run the unmodded control arms. Those wheels are the same offset as my current ones and i need my toyo fenders.

Also, you have too many of my old parts.

Yeah, I planned on giving the fenders a little tough love before painting them...may grab some Toyos next time I see some.

And yes, my car is more a mix of yours and Ryans car than original parts, lol

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:really like that cf brake bracket. i woulda lopped off the front section for the abs box but it still looks badass!

Thanks! I thought about modifying it first, but just went as is. I may grab a few more from the junkyard to play around with in the future, and pass them on to others.

Scorpi1 bishes... wrote:Good stuff Matt, keep it up and finish yours so I have the inspiration to finish the wife's S/C eco swap.
And that Purple is for KGM fairies btw, and I like it, a lot.

Believe, I want nothing more than for this money pit to finally be finished, haha! ...though I say that, but in the back of my mind I see a TVS, an eventual turbo swap, building the motor... this really is a disease, not a hobby!

And while I have some free time today, I think I'm going to go tinker with the Lexus seats ...

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:02 PM
Definitely intrigued to see how those seats turn out. Could be a hell of an interior step up!

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 5:28 PM
HooWybrow wrote:Definitely intrigued to see how those seats turn out. Could be a hell of an interior step up!

Yeah I'm excited to give the interior a little attention this year, it needs it. In addition to the seats, I have to re-wrap the dash pad I did like 2 years ago (glue softened up from heat), finish and swap in the new bezel, and my door panels needs serious help..pulled them from a donor car, and the inserts are wrapped in a combo of red vinyl and camo fabric which needs to go, lol.
In all seriousness though, if my interior looks even 1/4 as good as your engine bay, I'll be a happy camper!

Dug into the seats tonight, didn't have too much time to play, but I unbolted the stocker, set these and started to measure what I need to do to line everything up...these suckers are really wide, wide enough to concern me at first, but I'm confident they'll work. Here they are just set in so I could see where the mounting points hit as is

Basically, the "feet" on the Lexus seats angle out (they sort of point to the corners of the seat, and both the front and rear are about 1.25-1.5" wider than the studs in the floor pans, and front to back they set about 1.5" further apart. Looks like the best approach is to basically invert everything, and have the new feet point towards the inside of the seat. Upon closer look, it seems the feet are they only clearance issue in the overall fitment...setting them as is, the tilt to one side or the other bit since the edges catch where the floor pan rolls up...cutting off the feet gives the clearance needed. Now the seats raise and lower, and even at there lowest, they are about 1.25" higher than the stock seats, so I'm going to have to make pretty shallow mounts to keep them from being too high...I'm almost 6'3" so I need all the head room I can get. Though just throwing the seats in as is, and sitting in them, I still had head room and was at a fairly comfortable height, so if I can drop them down a bit it should be a comfy fit.

Started off hacking off the front feet from the sliders, they used some pretty heavy duty rivets to attach them, as well as small weld at the rear of the piece.

The rears have 2 giant rivets and some welding on the sides, but I haven't gotten that far. I'll hack those off tomorrow, then start making some templates for new feet. These are sort of a pain to work on, the brackets/sliders don't unbolt from the seat quite as easy as a J seat, so I'm trying to avoid dismantling them if I can. I also need to stop on the way home from work and grab a small fuse block and relays so I can start making the wiring for the power options on the seats (and I'll probably wire my locks/windows into the same fuse block when the time comes).

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:05 PM
Damn man that @!#$s crazy!

Malibu handels will fit??? Or are you stright fabricating them in? Also will the be flush with the car?

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:31 PM
Ninja Bling wrote:Damn man that @!#$s crazy!

Malibu handels will fit??? Or are you stright fabricating them in? Also will the be flush with the car?

Yea they're flush. You basically need to cut out some of the surround metal from the Malibu door, cut the same from the j door, and swap. Or I guess if you're good with shaping metal, you could make the pockets they sit in, but I am definitely not

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:43 PM
Car looks great! Can't wait to see you out at some autox events this year

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:49 PM
Car/Seats look good ! Keep up the good work bud!
Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:51 PM
strat81 wrote:Car looks great! Can't wait to see you out at some autox events this year

Man, I am dying to get out to some auto-x!! I'm hoping we get all the tuning bugs worked out and running strong to hit the July and August events, if not sooner.

James Barclay wrote:Car/Seats look good ! Keep up the good work bud!

Thanks man!

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:11 PM
I may have to steal that Techno Violet for one of my projects. Thats a sweet color. The finish looks great too. Are you laying it down out of a gun?

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:16 PM
Brian wrote:I may have to steal that Techno Violet for one of my projects. Thats a sweet color. The finish looks great too. Are you laying it down out of a gun?

Thanks, I really love the color. May hit my intake with it as well. Paint code is 299, and yes, its sprayed with a gun (spray paint and rattle can are forbidden terms in my world haha). I had it mixed in Dupont Chromabase, and I cleared it with 5 Star Glamour Clear (which I normally reserve for these kinds of projects).

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 2:58 PM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:
Ninja Bling wrote:Damn man that @!#$s crazy!

Yea they're flush. You basically need to cut out some of the surround metal from the Malibu door, cut the same from the j door, and swap. Or I guess if you're good with shaping metal, you could make the pockets they sit in, but I am definitely not

Damn i was hoping it was direct swap, cause ive been wantin flush handels since 03 when i got my first cav!!! Lol =D

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:52 PM
EVILution (KGMs FrankenCav) wrote:
Brian wrote:I may have to steal that Techno Violet for one of my projects. Thats a sweet color. The finish looks great too. Are you laying it down out of a gun?

Thanks, I really love the color. May hit my intake with it as well. Paint code is 299, and yes, its sprayed with a gun (spray paint and rattle can are forbidden terms in my world haha). I had it mixed in Dupont Chromabase, and I cleared it with 5 Star Glamour Clear (which I normally reserve for these kinds of projects).

Kinda what I figured. I've gotten some pretty good results shooting stuff with custom color rattle cans in the laundry room at my apartment but nothing as smooth as that looks.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search