DEI Titanium Header Wrap Installed and a vid of Smoke - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: DEI Titanium Header Wrap Installed and a vid of Smoke
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:38 PM
You also dont need to coat a SS header. Ceramic coating doesnt last forever.

There's a reason high dollar headers and exhaust systems are SS and not mild steel (aside from flanges).

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 7:14 PM
whats this "dont need to" talk? there are other reason's to coating exhaust components other than surface rust protection lol

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 7:41 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:whats this "dont need to" talk? there are other reason's to coating exhaust components other than surface rust protection lol

Well aware. There's also more reasons to go SS instead of coated mild steel but please tell me more.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:49 AM
Brian wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:whats this "dont need to" talk? there are other reason's to coating exhaust components other than surface rust protection lol

Well aware. There's also more reasons to go SS instead of coated mild steel but please tell me more.

tell you more about what? i do usually do things to get the best out of them. if wrapping my header gained my ten degrees less IAT's then id still do it. although i have no proof that it did anything, other than my hand feeling down around the header pipes and it not feeling as hot as it did without the wrapping covering it.

and i know about ss. i spent $900 dollars on my one off ss header and got 3/4's of it. i still need a merge collector and to have it jet hot coated yet. but ya know what? lol ill still wrap it.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:07 PM
Header wrapping and jet coating really isnt just about keeping IAT's and cabin temps down. Keeping heat in the exhaust gas helps to keep exhaust gas velocity up since a as a general rule a hotter gas (liquid) flows better. Viscosity decreases as temperature increases (unless you have some fancy viscosity modifiers like motor oil.)

I feel like I've been screaming about intake and exhaust velocity a lot lately. Haha.

The reason I say you don't NEED to coat SS is because by design it has a much lower thermal conductivity than mild steel. In some cases a SS header will hold heat in better than a poorly coated mild steel on.

You do need to watch out for overheating a stainless header or manifold though. At high temps, like around 1300*F the small amount of carbon in the SS will react with the steel and create iron carbide which is hard and brittle as hell. SS expands more than iron carbide and you'll slowly start to break welds as you heat cycle the engine. There's a reason you see a lot more high-end mild steel turbo mani's than high-end mild steel headers.

/ramble

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 8:31 PM
nothing is ever NEEDED to be modified on a perfectly good running and driving car. but we do it anyway.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 9:06 PM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:nothing is ever NEEDED to be modified on a perfectly good running and driving car. but we do it anyway.

Ill agree with you on that haha but at some point the cost of doing certain mods outweighs the benefit IMO.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:06 AM
My header is wrapped.....

Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:46 AM
Brian wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:nothing is ever NEEDED to be modified on a perfectly good running and driving car. but we do it anyway.

Ill agree with you on that haha but at some point the cost of doing certain mods outweighs the benefit IMO.

lol its a j-body.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search