Welp, so much for that.... - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Welp, so much for that....
Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:01 AM
had me a very bad day.

100% cause is unknown as of yet but i think its gonna be excessive blow by due to either a broken piston skirt or ring that ended up blowing the dipstick out under boost and blowing oil all over the header, which was wrapped and most likely soaked with it. the fire started in this area, i tried batting it out but it was no use. ill always carry a fire extinguisher from now on.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. Now with 5 speed! It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!

Re: Welp, so much for that....
Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:33 AM
This is such a tragedy. You know how the saying goes you always run the best before you blow? Brad's car was RUNNING STRONG! His methanol was finally dialed in. I helped literally him blood and sweat install and adjust his Manta part shifter which I must say was an engineering work of genius. His car was truly a beast! I know it never was dynoed and proven but trust me by my best honest estimation he was near 240whp on the 2.4 pulley on the M45 which nobody said could be done. In a third gear pull against my stock 06 GTO I could barely pull on him! I had everything that could be done on an M45 with a 2.5 pulley. His was undoubtedly faster than mine was on the M45 with a 2.4. Anyhow I think an M62 is in the works which I must say is better matched for a 2.4 liter engine. I personally never got the dyno or track times to prove it but I have no doubt an M62 will yield Mid 13's putting it right in range with my stock GTO. I wish Brad the best in the future. His knowledge and passion for these cars is rare to find as they are a dying breed. A word to the wise keep a fire extinguisher. There is no guarantee it would have helped but it may have who knows. The worst part is seeing all your hard work up in smoke and wondering if you could have saved it if only...

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:51 AM
FYI after the fire we checked all the spark plugs which were NGK V power TR6 and had just been installed and gapped to 0.35 earlier in the day. They were all normal indicating it likely had been an oil fire externally not an internal failure from blow by soaking the header wrap (the dipstick was sticking about 6") This had happened the night before and coated the backside of the engine bay with oil. Oil soaked header wrap =no bueno/fire. On a positive note there were no misfires with the previous NGK V power TR6 plugs gapped at 0.55 the day before. MSD ignition and coil swap for the win!

Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:45 AM
Damn, that sucks dude!!!! That's the reason I always keep an extinguisher in my sunflower. Here's hoping for the best possible outcome....

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:09 AM
At first I thought the first pic was photo shopped and you were just messing around.....dang man....crazy

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:20 AM
That's horrible Brad man sorry for the loss. I keep saying I should buy an extinguisher but never do. After seeing this ill be be picking one up today.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:41 AM
Omg that fn sux man, hope everyone is ok!

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:54 AM
very sad day. john text me yesterday evening informing me of the grave news. At least you are ok.

Enjoy life while you can, because you only have one shot. So go BIG or go home.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:54 AM
Wow....

I thought it was a joke photoshop at first. Must be the worst feeling ever watching all your work go up in flames and being so helpless in it.

Im buying a extinguisher.
Sunday, July 21, 2013 5:58 AM
I told Brad already, but I always carry one in my car due to the fuel system upgrades. Something as simple as an injector popping out could go wrong and hit the manifold. Mine is a chrome 2.5lb amerex ABC extinguisher. They do make a 1lb BC extinguisher but id rather take the extra 1.5lb and be able to hit a class A fire as well. The advantage of the BC is its much easier to clean up, and doesnt bond to hot metals as well. But I figure that if I am hitting anything on my car thats on fire, I really wont care about the mess and just want it out.

Now, in Brad's situation, nobody says that it would have stopped his fire. But it may have slowed it down enough to save some more of the car. Its all what ifs, but a chance thats willing to be taken.

Here is a link to a 2.5lb ABC in chrome like I have. I visually inspect mine once a year, and I do believe the 6 year maintenance is coming up real soon. It wont need to be hydro tested for a while I dont think.

Here is a link to a 1lb BC
http://www.criticaltool.com/amerex-1-lb-bc-chrome-extinguisher-w-vehicle-bracket-2-b-c-rating?zmam=88922829&zmas=2&zmac=11&zmap=620T&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&gclid=CKW30YjTwLgC FaI7MgodCisAfw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:04 AM

Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:16 AM
Dang man that sucks sorry to see that...after i put the blower on i got an extinguisher the next day

Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:24 AM
yep. i admit it, i have plenty of extinguishers in the house cuz i am a frickn paranoid mofo about fire.. why i didnt carry that into my car ill never know. but, live and learn. sometimes life throws us a curve ball and you have a real bad day. its just a car, at least i made it out alive. i very-well could have died yesterday.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:25 AM
ugh, wade was still signed in LOL. sorry, that was me. ^^

yep. i admit it, i have plenty of extinguishers in the house cuz i am a frickn paranoid mofo about fire.. why i didnt carry that into my car ill never know. but, live and learn. sometimes life throws us a curve ball and you have a real bad day. its just a car, at least i made it out alive. i very-well could have died yesterday.

M45/OS crank/2.4 snout. Now with 5 speed! It's nice to be injected but I love being blown!
Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:43 AM
Really sucks Brad, I almost didn't believe when I first saw the pic on Facebook. If this isn't motivation for everyone to buy a fire extinguisher (me included), I don't know is! I had a good scare 2 years ago when an injector popped loose and sprayed all over my blower and manifold...I got lucky that nothing happened more than a bad fuel spill and some melted paint, but that there should've been reason enough to buy an extinguisher...I know I'll certainly be buying one now.

I'm in the same boat...I have like 4 extinguishers in our house, but not one in the car...and now I'm wondering why, lol. But again, definitely glad to see you got out ok, as things could've been a lot worse. Like you said, it's just a car, cars are replaceable, you are not. Looking forward to seeing what you build in the future.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:28 AM
This is sad to see. all the hard work up in flames. but i know it wont be long before brad has another J on the road. it certainly motivates me to put a fire extinguisher in my Z.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:57 AM
Holy @!#$ dude. I would have cried.

Is anything on the engine salvageable?

Definitely looking forward to what you put together next!

Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:14 AM
pulled the plugs, none of them are crushed or damaged. so... leaning towards something in the bottom end let go. engine will come out soon.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:32 AM

Supercharged 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24
Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:50 AM
It'll buff out.
Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:54 AM
Dam man that sucks glad your ok though I really liked your car. This has certainly given me reason to buy a fire extinguisher. Anyone who has a modded car should have one and I've always put off the purchase.

Hopefully you can salvage some stuff from that car.
Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:23 PM
Buy two fire extinguishers and keep them under each seat or dash. This reminds me of v6bluebirds car who caught on fire because of the battery melting on v6z24.com

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:52 PM
more pics...

now here's some real water injection LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:54 PM

Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:07 PM
I'm surprised your tires did not catch on fire. This looks exactly like all those 3800 grand ams that caught on fire due to the oil running out the valve covers under hard braking. I wonder how much lighter the car is now? You can always rebuild it. I had a car catch on fire. Never entered the cabin it the engine and tranny was toast insurance company spent 8 months having it rebuilt and painted. My fire was due to a transmission seal blowing and hitting the headers.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Sunday, July 21, 2013 1:37 PM
yea im pretty sure from now on ill be building a heat shield for the header and will have some type of fire suppression system under the hood as well as an extinguisher in the cabin somewhere.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:46 PM
That's crazy man, glad you're okay.

That a frustration dent in the left 1/4?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search