2013 Fix/Rebuild - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2013 Fix/Rebuild
Saturday, August 24, 2013 11:48 PM
So tonight I was out with friends at a car cruise and on our way to dinner. I made a 3-4 gear pull. I hit the rev limiter and then heard this horrible sound. Pushed in the clutch and pulled it out of gear, noise went away. I then put it in 5 gear let out on the clutch no noise, gave it a little gas RPM's went up but no power to the ground.

We pulled over motor was running fine. Looked under neath saw nothing obvious. Went to start the car back up and it would not turn over, but a horrible sound.

So after waiting on this:

The car is home in the garage with what appears to be a flywheel with the center torn out.

Yes after about 6 years of running a Fidanza flywheel it seems it failed on me. I'm hoping to get under it tomorrow and look some more. I did have some tranny fluid leaking, but clutch still moves, and still have gears. Hopefully tranny comes out this week and replacement parts ordered this week also. This will be my build page for this.

FU Tuning

Re: 2013 Fix/Rebuild
Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:19 AM
Back home tucked away.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 25, 2013 6:21 AM
Agh, another trans story...I hate those. I'm living one myself. Hope it's not too bad.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:26 AM
Unfortunate man. Seems like it's probably as you described. A soon as I have a reason to have it apart I'll be throwing my stock flywheel back in. I've heard too many stories like this and I'm sick of the driveability issues I'm running into. Hopefully it's something simple!

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, August 25, 2013 9:43 AM
Been under the car this morning. It is either the flywheel came apart of the flywheel bolts sheered.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:21 AM
6 years on a Fidenza is pretty good sucks that it let out on you. Hopefully the damage isn't to bad and you can get it back on the road without to much trouble.
Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:35 PM
Watching.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, August 26, 2013 8:28 AM
d'oh! I decided to pass on a lightweigh flywheel since its my dd and ive heard horror stories. Hopefully you get her back up and running soon! And glad that it wasnt something that put you in a dangerous situation like in heavy traffic or on the back roads. Any major break that leaves you mad but not broken and able to walk away is a good night. git'er'done!

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Monday, August 26, 2013 9:33 AM
John,

The same thing happened to me right after we tuned the reaper. Hopefully you stopped before anything happened to the engine. I was lucky and the bolts did not shear.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Monday, August 26, 2013 10:39 AM
Question.. Were you running stock flywheel bolts or did you have ARP flywheel bolts?

I just bought a LWF from Roofy and I have ARP flywheel bolts to hold it on.. I'm curious to know about my possible future

To turbocharge, or not to uh, uh..... eh, that last part don't matter.
Monday, August 26, 2013 12:34 PM
Abe Jacobs wrote:Question.. Were you running stock flywheel bolts or did you have ARP flywheel bolts?

I just bought a LWF from Roofy and I have ARP flywheel bolts to hold it on.. I'm curious to know about my possible future

Stockers.

First I have not gotten the tranny out yet to know for sure which it is. This is on a LD9(2.4), which had issues with Spec/Fidanza Flywheels in the past.

I do not know of Ecotec's having this issue. I will update with pictures probably Thursday/Friday when I get the tranny out of the car.

FU Tuning

Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:36 PM
Any updates? I'll be back soon and swing by to give u a hand with everything.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
~Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.~
Sunday, September 01, 2013 8:34 AM
Transmission is out. It is what I thought it was.

Mike I will need some help getting it back in the car.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 01, 2013 9:39 AM
DFF- Breaking The Boundary wrote:John,

The same thing happened to me right after we tuned the reaper. Hopefully you stopped before anything happened to the engine. I was lucky and the bolts did not shear.

Mark

what?! you never told me that! @!#$

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Sunday, September 01, 2013 9:41 AM
blu04DD wrote:d'oh! I decided to pass on a lightweigh flywheel since its my dd and ive heard horror stories. Hopefully you get her back up and running soon! And glad that it wasnt something that put you in a dangerous situation like in heavy traffic or on the back roads. Any major break that leaves you mad but not broken and able to walk away is a good night. git'er'done!

this is because of a poor design on ld9 fidanza flywheels. they have since really beefed up the center section. with your blower you would benefit alot from an alum fw.

RIP silver car. You will be missed.
Sunday, September 01, 2013 4:35 PM
So further inspection shows bellhousing damage.

Tranny is dirty from the leaks.

Inside of the flywheel after clutch disk is removed.

Clutch disk

FU Tuning

Monday, September 02, 2013 5:56 PM
So today I picked up this from my friends house.

I got it for the bell housing I need. I got my tranny opened and it has metal chunks in it.

Inside view of my bell housing

New clutch is ordered and should ship tomorrow. ARP flywheel bolts ordered. Also picked up new axles seals, and paint for the tranny.

If things work in my favor the tranny will go in Saturday.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 15, 2013 7:59 AM
So updates.

Tranny went from looking like this:

To this.

Flywheel went from this:

To this:

KY Clutch

ARP bolts

New seal for tranny

Clutch and flywheel mounted

I know have roughly 350 miles on the clutch, but a good portion is highway. It is soo easy to drive. I think I need a little more bleeding to the system, but really liking this clutch setup.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search