2.6L quad4 stroker PICS (56k dont try it) - Page 2 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2.6L quad4 stroker PICS (56k dont try it)
Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:05 AM
skeet skeet skeet. i found what to base my engine build on

AIM & Y!: COGcaviZ24

Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:06 AM
Very great work!

Thursday, November 02, 2006 11:21 AM
Awsome looking setup........

Couple things I want to point out....... ditch the front dog bone mount...... Go with a Turbo Tech Upper mount..... much cleaner, and will work better (J-body upper radiator supports are weak)..... as Eric pointed out, I would have stuck with the 2.3 Dual chain setup....... I'd die for one of those setups (my W41 has the newer single row)......

I LOVE the whole engine build though....... you need to PM me with your piston specs same setup I want for my stroker........ and the specs on those valve springs......

Better get that thing fired up, and some vids of it

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Thursday, November 02, 2006 1:13 PM
clearing up a couple things...
First off the point of the timing was for performance first...i am perfectly aware this motor wont last me 100,000 miles..and if your not breaking anything then your not making any real power anyway right
so i used the 2.4 timing in order to not only lose some weight at the crank but to quiet it down a bit as well
as far as the front mount i REALLY want that new mount..just dont have much cash after the build but ILL HAVE IT SOON it should really bring things together im sure

Thursday, November 02, 2006 3:04 PM
You should really do a full write up for all of us who would love to follow your example. What I really want to know is what problems you encountered? I know you mentioned that you had to re-locate the Crank sensor was there any other major hurdles? It looks so sweet. I WANT ONE!!!

Thursday, November 02, 2006 3:11 PM
What is the part number and witch company for the dual valves springs?

Last time I ask Josh he told me that the springs he had slack in them and were not really streetable.

You don't need them but I do!!! Also, normal W41 are just too small for an engine like that You should have went with a set of Hot grind for bare minimum Now get that engine dynoed.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Thursday, November 02, 2006 3:29 PM
thats crazy, wow!

cant wait to see it in the car and then boosted and times!

Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:33 PM
Hmmm, I wonder how much of a PIA would it be to put run that same motor off a 99 PCM

Jason
99 Z24
157hp/171tq
wheres my boost??
Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:44 PM
that is a beautiful thing... now lets see some numbers!

Thursday, November 02, 2006 5:57 PM
Phlatcav wrote:Very great work!

Thursday, November 02, 2006 6:57 PM
bout time u get that thing in the car. i was tired of bein the only cav out at the shows hope to see that thing this weekend or when u get it runnin right. now hurry up and put that in my car

I NEED a 97-99 LD9 engine harness for an auto.PM if u hav info.!!

Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:28 PM
scott (section8cav) wrote: First off the point of the timing was for performance first...i am perfectly aware this motor wont last me 100,000 miles..and if your not breaking anything then your not making any real power anyway right
so i used the 2.4 timing in order to not only lose some weight at the crank but to quiet it down a bit as well

as far as the front mount i REALLY want that new mount..just dont have much cash after the build but ILL HAVE IT SOON it should really bring things together im sure

I can understand the idea behind lightening things up, but some times its better to be beefy

Even with the upper/insert, lower mount and trans mounts, there is no need for those upper dog bones....... they look ugly, mount to flimsy metal, and were only needed in cars that had the old style trans mounts....... and start saving your pennies for that TTR mount

Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:30 PM
stroke this good work man like everyone else I wana see ##### and some videos. O and try not to blow it up the first day atleast try and have some fun with that thing, and yes keep us udated.

A J-body owner since 1998
91 cavy, 99 sunfire, 00 cavy
06 cobalt SS/SC YELLOW
09 cobalt SS/TC sedan WHITE 1 of 41
Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:41 PM
Very Nice

Thursday, November 02, 2006 8:54 PM
Quote:

Even with the upper/insert, lower mount and trans mounts, there is no need for those upper dog bones....... they look ugly, mount to flimsy metal, and were only needed in cars that had the old style trans mounts.

ok to answer this...
first i dont think the upper dogbones are ugly at all...the first reason i started looking for them was because i thought they looked bad ass!! you dont see them in any other cav and no judge at a show will recognize the setup either...
second,keep in mind i have not eliminated ANY of the stock mounting locations..they are all still there..just stronger..i AM getting the new TTR mount but until then i um still using the stock upper mount with insert..lower dogbone and both tranny mounts...with all that sturdyness i dont see any trouble coming from the upper dogbones...if anything they SHOULD help stiffen things up just alittle more
.......sorry if you guys dont like them

Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:23 PM
Doesn't matter what we like... it's your car, it's what your like... and I'm behind you on it! I think it's very (maybe not original, because some cars come stock that way) but "eye catching" and that's what you want at a show. Along with the power you should be putting down... this I think will do very well at any show! Now all you really need to work on is a nice "show setup" that will show all your accomplishments and explain this car. That's what wins the show!

On another note... I think stroking it out is awsome and I think your a pioneer for the j-body community and I salute you!
P.S. keep the pics coming!

Friday, November 03, 2006 6:45 AM
scott (section8cav) wrote:and once its in and running these upper dogbone mounts will be bolted down solid

What year did they come out of. I like the look of them.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, November 03, 2006 7:34 AM
they came out of a 1990 or 91 cutlass supreme...the cutlass came with a quad4 so these mounts are almost a bolt on to the engine its self...its just getting them to bolt to the car itself thats the trick...ive really thought about just reinforcing the upper support but i dont want TOO much more weight than ive already added with the mounts...but i think since i didnt lose any of the stock mounts these shouldnt do much damage

Quote:

On another note... I think stroking it out is awsome and I think your a pioneer for the j-body community and I salute you

wow....thanks alot man comments like that make all the hard work i went thru worth it

Friday, November 03, 2006 7:38 AM
Answer my Questions dammit!!

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, November 03, 2006 7:46 AM
-MD- LD9 wrote:
scott (section8cav) wrote:and once its in and running these upper dogbone mounts will be bolted down solid

What year did they come out of. I like the look of them.

Hows that saying go? Looks only a mother could love?

Mfk-223 wrote:Answer my Questions dammit!!

Mine first

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 03, 2006 7:47 AM

Friday, November 03, 2006 8:41 AM
LOL well i guess you both asked about the dual valve springs..and im gonna be honest..i got them from a company that i will never recommend again so im not even gonna mention the name anymore cus i dont want ANYONE going there for parts no matter how desperate they are!!!
Most of the guys that have been following my build know who im talking about.
so now i really dont know where you can get them cus i dont even have a reciept for them

and as far as the w41 hot grind cams..yea,i probably SHOULDVE gone that route..would have made a better gain im sure...but at the building stage i wanted w41 and "my supplier" strongly wanted simple HO cams in it...it had to fight just to have him get a set of w41 for my price

Friday, November 03, 2006 10:38 AM
Yeah I understand. Your "supplier" is not helpfull at all. I ask him once and got a semi reply. Just like Mantapart. "We will help you if you buy the product but once you have it we won't help you."

The cheap bastard charge 25$ less for W41 compared to Hot grind. Also, the Hotgrind cost 350$ from Comp Cams. He advertise them and ask Comp Cams to grind them. I had to wait around a month and fit with the shipping company, Comp Cams and your supplier (who never answered) to get another good cam since the first intake cam was broken.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, November 03, 2006 10:49 AM
psssshh, wait...it's coming with the M90 in the spring. You know what I mean Scott. imagine the same thing, but with 22psi on tap.

Great work man...and to those that think this is pioneer, go to the quad4forums, it's old hat by now LOL.

we need to meet up next year for a photoshoot and a few passes down the track. Stroked quad goodness.

Friday, November 03, 2006 10:56 AM
Too bad I didn't stroke my 2.3. I could do it not but with new rods and 3.12CC DOME pistons the compression would be like 17:1 witch is a tad high.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Friday, November 03, 2006 11:10 AM
I just need to get past the block and crank hanging out, playing cards, in my garage.......

I've also found your 'supplier' to be an asshat by far...... I asked for a few tips on my stoker project, and he acted like he did all the work on the stroker .himself...... yet he got his info from someone else who paid for and did all the work, and he just leaches the info and claims it has his.

Oh well, parts and labor doing it myself willcost about a 3rd of what he wanted........ and the quality is probably 100x better then what I would have gotten there.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search