Different kind of RWD swap. - Page 14 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Different kind of RWD swap.
Thursday, January 09, 2014 11:26 AM
i love exhaust dump PCV's. dont know why more of us dont wanna do them...

RIP silver car. You will be missed.

Saturday, January 11, 2014 5:07 PM
F'n awesome!!!! Can't wait to see it done!

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:47 PM
They freeze in the winter Brad.

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 10:48 AM
JUCNBST wrote:They freeze in the winter Brad.

Buddy just blew his turbo because of this. his froze, and dumped tons of oil everywhere it shouldn't have been.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:53 AM
Went through this entire build thread again to catch up on what i lost track on.. @!#$ love it

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:07 PM
Well, I sold the gold wheels and bought some 2006 Z06 wheels (18x9.5 & 19x12). I also purchased the Z06 6 piston and 4 piston calipers, 13.9" vented rotors, C5/C6 corvette spindles front/rear, and C5/C6 wheel bearings. I figured all of that would top this project off a lil more. The rims came in today and the calipers will be here tomorrow. Need the wheel bearings to hurry up so I can put the puzzle together. Here is a shot of the wheels and a generic shot of what the rotors and calipers look like.

My cooling fans also came in, so I'll probably finish the fan shroud today/tomorrow.

Enjoy life while you can, because you only have one shot. So go BIG or go home.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 12:41 PM

Sunday, February 02, 2014 8:56 AM

Sunday, February 02, 2014 9:24 AM
can you make me one? lol im loving this build!!

Sunday, February 02, 2014 10:59 AM

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Sunday, February 02, 2014 3:39 PM
Dam....Curious to see how the car looks with vette setup.

Sunday, February 02, 2014 4:27 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:

Buddy just blew his turbo because of this. his froze, and dumped tons of oil everywhere it shouldn't have been.

huh? what freezes? the oil? how does oil freeze?

Monday, February 03, 2014 11:09 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:

I am also failing to see how they freeze and how in the hell that could even begin to blow a turbo. Maybe blow out some gaskets if it froze, but still.

Monday, February 03, 2014 11:41 AM
Zs Z wrote:
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:
-MD- Enforcer wrote:

I am also failing to see how they freeze and how in the hell that could even begin to blow a turbo. Maybe blow out some gaskets if it froze, but still.

The water and condensation freeze up. It is a fairly common problem with these setups, and really cold weather. I'm sure if you search you will find info on it.

Typically what happens, just mo so on this type of setup...
Quote:

Here's a quote from the Turbo Mopar Forum: "If you live where it gets well below freezing, then i don't recommend getting a catch can, because they freeze up and then your crankcase pressurizes and oil comes out everywhere. Ask me how i know... last winter i started my Rampage up to move it out of the way (-20 out) and after about 5 minutes of idling it turned into a crop duster. It was burning oil very bad! So i popped the hood and saw oil coming out of my oil cap, so i opened the cap and it let out a huge gush of air. then i realised that the blow-by inside the catch can was a giant ice cube, and it wasn't letting any air past. Needless to say it took a few hours to stop smoking and i had to clean out my intercooler and lower pipe, because oil got pushed past the turbo seal. I learned the hard way. Now i just park my car before if gets below freezing and leave it until spring."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, February 03, 2014 11:44 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, February 03, 2014 6:51 PM
I wont be running a catch can. Timing chain straight to exhaust.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 7:36 PM
^ exactly.... if you have that much moisture in your pcv system you have bigger problems than having said moisture freeze. i could see a little water vapor but enough to cause the pcv lines to actually form an ice blockage?! that makes no sense...

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 3:42 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:^ exactly.... if you have that much moisture in your pcv system you have bigger problems than having said moisture freeze. i could see a little water vapor but enough to cause the pcv lines to actually form an ice blockage?! that makes no sense...
It happens a lot. Google it. Also lets leave this thread alone now.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:27 AM
hey you brought it up.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:34 AM
-Z Yaaaa- wrote:^ exactly.... if you have that much moisture in your pcv system you have bigger problems than having said moisture freeze. i could see a little water vapor but enough to cause the pcv lines to actually form an ice blockage?! that makes no sense...

I am running an Exhaust Evac setup on my car and I had it freeze on me.

Its not that the water/ice fills the line up, it freezes the check valve shut.

I started my car one morning and came out to this 15mins later....

It has so much pressure in the crank case that oil erupted out of the dip stick tube when I pulled it out.

The turbo suffered some damage but didn't totally @!#$ up the seals, sadly it was a fresh rebuild with only like 1000km's on it when it happened. I have nothing 7000km's on that same turbo and it still is working fine...just eats a tiny bit of oil now.

Ben: Check your check valves when you get them, most of the ones you get with kits suck and don't completely shut allowing exhaust to get back into your crankcase. There is a Ford Check valve that I think is sold my NAPA IIRC that is way better, I ended up ordering it through my local parts store it was only a few bucks. Google it and I'm sure you can find the part number.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 9:38 AM
newt wrote:

I am running an Exhaust Evac setup on my car and I had it freeze on me.

Its not that the water/ice fills the line up, it freezes the check valve shut.

I started my car one morning and came out to this 15mins later....

It has so much pressure in the crank case that oil erupted out of the dip stick tube when I pulled it out.

The turbo suffered some damage but didn't totally @!#$ up the seals, sadly it was a fresh rebuild with only like 1000km's on it when it happened. I have nothing 7000km's on that same turbo and it still is working fine...just eats a tiny bit of oil now.

Ben: Check your check valves when you get them, most of the ones you get with kits suck and don't completely shut allowing exhaust to get back into your crankcase. There is a Ford Check valve that I think is sold my NAPA IIRC that is way better, I ended up ordering it through my local parts store it was only a few bucks. Google it and I'm sure you can find the part number.

Well that sucks.

But I live in florida and this is a non daily driver that is garage kept. So with that said, I dont have to worry about cold weather freezing with any of my components. Just saying. I ordered the Virbrant Performance check valves, they function properly. Just a little back flow is enough to close them.

Thanks for the heads up though. More parts have arrived today for the Z06 swap, I will try to have them installed by the weekend. Also purchased the AN 37 Degree brake flaring tool from eastwood, freaking thing is awesome. -3, -4, & -6 hard pipe capabilities now.

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 10:50 AM
Ya it was a bit of a pain in the ass to say the least, I'm glad your check valves work properly tho.

I just undo my line from my valve cover as soon as the temps go below freezing now, I don't drive it in the winter but there is a few nights in the late fall it goes below freezing.

Look forward to more updates, great progress!

Wednesday, February 05, 2014 11:41 AM
ah, well that makes a whole hell of a lot more sense. the way mike was describing it was not computing whatsoever lol

def dont want pressure going the other way.

Friday, February 07, 2014 10:43 AM
Ya the check valve threads right onto the pipe that goes into the exhaust, so it goes through a lot of heat/cool cycles which leads to condensation.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 7:43 AM
need updates.

Friday, February 14, 2014 8:20 AM
Mr. Quick wrote:need updates.

Here are your bloody updates, lol.

The front suspension is almost complete. Just need to figure out how I'm going to mount the sway bar, then it will that will be done.

I had to make my own ball joints and tapered solid heim joints.

The harnesses are almost complete, just waiting on a couple connectors to get here.

Had the local hydraulic company make hard pipe fuel lines for the center sections inside the car with -6 and -8 AN fittings. Also bought the AN flaring tool for brake lines, so I remade the brake lines with -3 AN fittings. Also made the throttle cable with my left over -3 braided line and 1/16 cable from Lowes, thanks to a local drift legend.

Bought a 94 MR2 shifter assembly and made a mounting plate for it for the center section. Made the shifter into a short throw as well as rocking the High Roller 9K Racing shift knob.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search