Found a prototype quad4 - Page 3 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Found a prototype quad4
Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:10 PM
RedCavalac wrote:K first off I have seen this motor in person and got to measure some things. Header could easily support 300hp, ya know why... its called R & D. The reason that so many "enthusiasts" over build things is because they cant test and calculate things like an experienced and financially supported team/ corporation. Its not always about bigger, velocity plays a part also.

Heres another interesting fact: Cam lift on this motor is only .375", is that too tiny for 300 horses? RPM, CR, and cam phasing will affect this greatly. Remember the production w41s made almost 200hp in stock, emissions passing trim on a considerably lower compression ratio.

While the internal specs on the motor are just what we were told and we are taking this guys word for it. If you doubt the numbers then I wish you could see his shop and the photo albums full of GM factory proto cars that this guy built and is sitting in and standing next to.

i cant begin to REALLY get into it because i have absolutely no idea on whats inside this thing.. however, i seriously doubt that throttle body and that header would even FLOW enough cfm to support 300hp. sure veloscity is a great thing but you still need to physically get the air in and out. weather it can or not is up for debate but until i see a dyno graph i wont be believing it.

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:20 PM
I don't doubt this motor at all, but WE ALL want to see a dyno sheet and maybe a running clip of this thing in action. Just neat to say the least.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:22 PM
RedCavalac wrote:K first off I have seen this motor in person and got to measure some things. Header could easily support 300hp, ya know why... its called R & D. The reason that so many "enthusiasts" over build things is because they cant test and calculate things like an experienced and financially supported team/ corporation. Its not always about bigger, velocity plays a part also.

Heres another interesting fact: Cam lift on this motor is only .375", is that too tiny for 300 horses? RPM, CR, and cam phasing will affect this greatly. Remember the production w41s made almost 200hp in stock, emissions passing trim on a considerably lower compression ratio.

While the internal specs on the motor are just what we were told and we are taking this guys word for it. If you doubt the numbers then I wish you could see his shop and the photo albums full of GM factory proto cars that this guy built and is sitting in and standing next to.

Dude it's a short tube 4-1 with what looks to be a equal runner header made for a tight space hardly ideal design.

That being said, it might handle 300hp (doubtful) but the motor will make alot more power with a better designed header.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:31 PM
After it gets mounted then I have to start work on the harness. Gonna attempt to run it on a ld9 flashed 2200 computer and harness. Hope to have it moving this summer, I gotta get my turbo car put back together too.Its his project but I like to help out here and there plus with as many j swaps as I've done, shouldnt be any problems making it run.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:40 PM
freelancer1988 wrote:I don't doubt this motor at all, but WE ALL want to see a dyno sheet and maybe a running clip of this thing in action. Just neat to say the least.

It wont be running for a bit. Not only do I need to get the motor straigtened out, my car needs work let alone work to accmodate this engine as well. As much as I want to just throw it together to see what its made of, I want to get it done the right way as well. Ive been trying to get its creator to find some paperwork of any sort on this thing with no luck. They guy seriously has so much stuff in his shop it is rediculous. Luckily though tomarrow will be out of the single digits and ill be out in the garage working on it getting as many pics as i can of course.

I really do think this thing is gonna rip though. I said the same thing about the header myself. Compared to todays designs it is not the "ideal" looking setup. Anymore everyone goes for the biggest and longest primaries you can get. But as it was already said, it was designed for this motor with unlimited resources and finances. Again though, only time will tell.
Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:11 PM
Have you tired searching the GM part numbers that are cast into the block and head???

I can't make out the number on the head, but the part number on the block is clearly visible in two of the pictures. Perhaps one the GM gurus could look into this?

Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:32 PM
newt wrote:Have you tired searching the GM part numbers that are cast into the block and head???

I can't make out the number on the head, but the part number on the block is clearly visible in two of the pictures. Perhaps one the GM gurus could look into this?

Yeah i tried with no luck. Aint saying something cant be found, but a simple internet search led me no where at all.
Thursday, February 10, 2011 11:47 PM
Just do everyone on this forum a favor and DON'T FORGET THIS SITE!!!!

Everyone here, and I mean EVERYONE is excited about this engine. It's not every day someone shows up with something like this. Sure, some guy might come along with a prototype of one or two parts, but this..... this just takes the cake, man. I'm really excited to see more about this. I wonder what the story is on it, too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike wrote:The auto to manual swap is not as involved as you would think.
Get all the parts you need in a pile, and drive the car into it.
They will find their way into the correct places.

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:07 PM
Camera died, but i got some pics. I need to give the cams some elbow grease to clean them up a bit. If you look the camshafts have been lightened/ balanced, very smart thinking, every little bit counts. And of course the oiling system, pretty bad ass. Enjoy

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:17 PM
Damn, that crank is Beefy!!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, February 11, 2011 12:31 PM
Very interesting oiling system. Don't suppose you would pull the front cover off would you?

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:56 PM
wow

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Friday, February 11, 2011 1:51 PM
john317(AKA Gary the Old guy) wrote:Very interesting oiling system. Don't suppose you would pull the front cover off would you?

I personally would rather not unless I have to.
Friday, February 11, 2011 2:23 PM
Looks more and more like a saturn 1.9 motor.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, February 11, 2011 2:58 PM
Justin Stinepring wrote: I personally would rather not unless I have to.

Understandable.

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Friday, February 11, 2011 3:36 PM
Have you run the injector numbers yet? That will say alot about what the engine was making hp wise

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:54 PM
except for the lifters it looks alot of like a ecotec.

FU Tuning

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:59 PM
Screaming for Mercy!! wrote:except for the lifters it looks alot of like a ecotec.

agree. i see a lot of studs in there vs bolts too which is nice. also for water pump. might be able to do what fetter is and go electric...
wonder how you find an oil filter for it.... and what sensor wires up where.

Friday, February 11, 2011 6:40 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Looks more and more like a saturn 1.9 motor.

me and the todd (AZSpitfire97+) were walking through a junkyard the other day discussing this. There was a saturn 1.9 pulled apart and it looked damn near close if not exactly like that. He took a couple pics maybe he'll get on and post them for comparisson.

Eat my shift
Friday, February 11, 2011 6:56 PM
Lol yeah it really does resemble the saturn. I was really hoping a saturn valve cover would fit on it. As well as the water pump. They both are incredily close but are just far enough off they wont work.
Friday, February 11, 2011 7:26 PM
Looks cool. Have you tried a transmission on it yet to see what fits? Or a starter?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike wrote:The auto to manual swap is not as involved as you would think.
Get all the parts you need in a pile, and drive the car into it.
They will find their way into the correct places.

Friday, February 11, 2011 7:54 PM
Poser wrote:Looks cool. Have you tried a transmission on it yet to see what fits? Or a starter?

Yeah it came with a starter so were good to go there. I gotta find a rear main for it, then I can get it off the stand and see if my LD9 tranny fits on it. It looks really damn close to me, so im keeping my fingers crossed that itll bolt right up to it.
Friday, February 11, 2011 8:03 PM
the main caps look very similar to that of an LD9 and the crank looks very similar to that of a quad 4. i'd be my left nut its forged too....

If it takes forever.... I will die trying. Underdog Racing
Friday, February 11, 2011 8:06 PM
Justin Stinepring wrote:As well as the water pump.

i say go electric. free up some power.

Friday, February 11, 2011 8:17 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Justin Stinepring wrote:As well as the water pump.

i say go electric. free up some power.

I would like to. At least that would be the ultimate way to go. But Im gonna try to clean this one up and see how it turns out. Ive had two friends that work at part stores trying to find something to work with no luck. And a guy thats been a mechanic for over 25 years didnt have any ideas either.

I dont know if anyone could get a close look at it or not, but any ideas on the rear main? An LD9 fits over the crank perfect, but where it bolts to the motor its a good bit off. If i have to Ill try to get a decent picture of it with the engine stand in the way.Im really dreading having to get something made for it, thats just more money.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search