New DD for the ball and chain... - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New DD for the ball and chain...
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:43 PM
so the wife usually bitches about her daily driver car and how much of a piece of @!#$ it is and how i always get the good cars so the other day i was searching through craigslist and found a silver 2000 cavalier z24 locally with a blown 2.4 in it. said make an offer....

got in touch with the guy and arranged to look it over etc... looked it over, offered him $400 and he said sure, take it away. LOL so i did. drove it home knocking like a bitch the whole way, it made it 40 miles though! couldnt believe it!! $400 is pretty good i think.

the body itself is pretty rough, some decent sized dents here and there and the front bumper paint is flaking off due to a @!#$ty re-paint. other than that stuff the paint is nice and clean and the car has absolutely ZERO rust in it.

118,000 miles, fully loaded with sunroof. interior is in pretty good shape, just needs a good cleaning. came with a nice pioneer cd player and has an alarm/remote start-just need to crawl under the dash and get the part number and information etc for the brain and contact the manufacturer and get a replacement fob. the guy said it worked great but when he took it to the local mechanic to be checked out recently they lost the keys and fobs.

planning on throwing the engine from my white z in it in a few months when it gets warmer. then clean it up, have the dents fixed, tint it and throw some of my extra parts on it. im also planning on putting 95-99 headlights/corners and a z24 front bumper on it. ive always hated the 00-02 style headlights. replace some wear items like the rear strut mounts, a couple blown speakers and the glove box latch. also needs new tires.

other than that stuff i think it should be a pretty nice car for her. and of course, ill get to mod yet another z24 hahahaha. she already told me she wanted a 'black' hood like my cars have LOL (carbon fiber)

only pics i have... from my cell. sorry for @!#$ quality.

Stand in the corner and SCREAM with me!!!!

Re: New DD for the ball and chain...
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:46 PM
Noice! I bet the knocking was fun to listen to for 40 miles!

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:49 PM
Nice, I know you will fix it right up.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:52 PM
strange, i passed a silver Z tonight that had the exact same dent on the back

-Markus
2002 Yellow Cavalier LS Sport
Check it out! --> Flickr

Wednesday, December 09, 2009 7:58 PM
Damn, got my rims and tires for that price, nice pickup! Can't wait to see some progress!

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 8:48 PM
pretty nice, i need to get pictures of my project Z i picked up for 150 bucks and it runs.

1999 2.4L w/ nitrous
Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:41 AM
Ecomark wrote:strange, i passed a silver Z tonight that had the exact same dent on the back

weird, i wrote a estimate at my work on one on what it would cost to fix one same spot and all lol

nice brad. I was reading it as your explaining and thinking.. shes still going to complain that its a POS with the body damage etc lol. May want to ask her what headlights she likes better because, she might be more inclined to like it if it looks newer..weird I know but its how some people classify a nice car. Either way I know you will take care of it and get it all fixed up..Good luck with it too man. Only thing better would be if you swapped in a eco
also unsure on her driving skills but I would also be leery on trying to modify it for her.. lowering it etc.. reason being, I had a gf I did the same thing for and found out how well she doesn't pay attention to small things like pulling up to a curb..trying to avoid pot holes.. etc lol

Thursday, December 10, 2009 4:59 AM
I glad to hear you found a nice car for a great bargain. Thats something I've been wanting to do....yet I can't seem to find a 5speed Z24 with a blown engine on craigslist.

GMR has got nothing on this
Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:26 AM
If this is a DD for her I would leave the light alone. If you tell her you like the others better she might think this is more for you than her.

FU Tuning

Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:43 AM
i forgot to mention that the passenger side corner lense is busted out and the driver side headlight itself looks piss yellow. and like i said the front bumper needs a repaint anyways. i hate the way the 00-01 z has no front lip which means i would have to buy a lip for it to look right. and that means she would rip the bastard off constantly. ive seen it done, i know how they attach. that lip is worthless. so id rather get a front bumper that actually matches the side skirts.

ive got lots of extra 95-99 headlights and corners and a brand new 95-99 z24 front bumper lying around so...

cost wise, it'd be better to go 95-99. plus i dont think i have ever seen a silver 95-99 front so thats another reason.

** edit ** i should say that the front lip isnt worthless as long as you know how to drive. i do like the lip i just have seen too many 2002's with it ripped off. IMO it just isnt practical for a daily driver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:45 AM

Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:40 AM
Nice pick up Z yaaaa!

RIP JessE -- You are not forgotten! | FaceBook | G+

Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:25 AM
$400 + what you plan to do to it, meh, as for the front lip, it's not worthless, that's a driver thing.

My ex's 2002 LS Sport sedan was missing it, when I sold the '01 I swapped mine onto hers and it's still there, 3 winters and all? Gotta show these women how to drive.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:41 PM
Nicepickup man! Ill be watching for the front end swap as I have contemplated doing it myself. Love the one piece 95-99 headlights and an IF front that doesnt have to be modded would make me happy

Not a bad pickup at all for $400. Im sure you have enough spare parts to fix it up nice.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:48 PM
good pick man... have fun with it!!!!
Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:54 PM
Put a Home depot lip on it

Thursday, December 10, 2009 1:28 PM
When you said she complained that hers was a POS and you get the nice cars ect, I wasnt expecting a 10 old car for $400... But regardless that is a nice deal you got, especially since you have an engine to use already.

Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:48 PM
well... a 10 year old 118,000 mile $400 pos is better than a 15 year old 220,000 mile $75 pos, aint it?

Thursday, December 10, 2009 3:58 PM
Brad, you should show them pictures of what she's driving now for comparison purposes. That might help explain a few things.
Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:05 PM
in a reality, the grand prix is actually in BETTER shape body wise. well minus the passenger side rocker panel thats got cancer. other than that its a pretty decent car exterior wise. and she will actually be keeping it anyways, this is just a car for just her to go to places in when she doesnt need to drag the kids along. for college basically...

but anyways, ask and ye shall receive...

Friday, December 11, 2009 12:03 AM
Not bad. I've been looking at cheap cars lately for something to screw around with. Always comes down to either old 80s and early 90s subcompacts (lightweight, add something between 1.6-2.4 L and have fun!), or a cheap cav (I'd do mostly suspension & weight mods, because $ for $, you get more fun for the money, and it's more universal when parting out suspension and CF than power adders for one of three possible engines).

2010 Honda Fit LX
Friday, December 11, 2009 1:40 AM
man, ive been trying to sell my junked 2200 for a while now. if someone just replaces the rear axle, and pops the dent out.
it would be an ok lookin car! lol. only has just over 70k on it too! good pick up tho!

Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:22 PM
Ball and Chain Brad? lol
Does she know this? hahaha

Nice pickup though on the new DD.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search