2000 cavy 5 speed - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2000 cavy 5 speed
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:47 AM
Hey i have a 2000 cavalier with a 2.2 litre in it. everyone tells me i'm a fool for wanting to soupe it up, but i always laugh because i think they have alot of potential for horses. i have a few things done to it like a short throw shifter, pacesetter header, 2.25" piping from header back, free flow cat and flowmaster muffler. the car sounds pretty mean and is relatively quick for a cavalier. but the question that her in lies is would i be able to gain more power if i put an ecotec in it, and would the bell housings for the tranny match up. what kind of work would be needed, and would it even be worth it for a swap. i have major future plans for my cavalier, and i would just like to have the best possible engine, still a four banger, for the job. i would like to add a turbo, p&p, new stronger pistons and rods, new crankshaft. input would be appreciated. plus i found a turbo off of a 1986 300zx, it's apparently in good working order and i'm wondering if anyones ever rigged a turbo from an older car onto a newer cavalier. would it be worth it or a waste of time and effort?

Re: 2000 cavy 5 speed
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 8:54 AM
a lot of people on this site have done eco swaps from their 2200. you got a pretty good set of mods there and definatly keep working at it. IMO i would save for the turbo and all the others you listed because your car is gonna be pretty quick after all that. and peiceing together a turbo kit isnt bad. i would actually rather do that because it would be a lot cheaper.
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 11:44 AM
people have gotten over 200 hp out of a 2.2 non ecotec. it can be done with upgrade internals, turbo, etc etc

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, April 28, 2005 7:23 AM
Ya, a stock ECO would kick that 2.2's ass. Try swapping a 2.4 if you want to go extreme. And for the 2.2, Turbo and internals would be the only major HP difference.

1971 camaro 427 --- here!

Stock... and loving every minute of it.
Thursday, April 28, 2005 2:33 PM
^^ really? I think scrufdog might have something to say about that. His automatic 2.2 puts down 174 to the wheels naturally aspirated, and something like 260 on spray.

The 2200 with built internals and a turbo is plenty strong enough to make a fast street car, (250-275) and in a well driven car would be good enough for solid 13 second runs . 2200's also go for $200 a pop on ebay as complete motors, and since it was in so many base cavs/sunfires/S10's it will never be hard to find a replacement if you do break it. Its also a very easy motor to work on mechanically speaking, but i have no experience with it on the electronics/tuning end of things so i won't vouch for that.

So try not to take too much to heart when the 2.4 and ECO guys come on here trying to thump their chests about how great their engines are, the 2200 has potential, the trick is knowing what mods are worth it and not throwing money away on useless crap.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Friday, April 29, 2005 10:59 AM
thanks for all the input guys. i never really cared for the 2.4 engines. pitted up against a stock 2200 like i have it may have more horse by like 15 or 20, but the torque is the same if not less in the 2.4. i've been doing a good amount of research and pricing and compiling a list of parts that i need and in what order. so i think i'm headed in the right direction. plus it's not the car it's the driver. although the car could help. ha ha.
Friday, April 29, 2005 10:15 PM
Scrufdog's 2.2 is nothing but a frame and motor, thats alot further than most of you will go, its fast cause its light not because it has a high amount of power

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search