Unnecesary Things... - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Unnecesary Things...
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 8:46 AM
Ok, I was wondering if someone could make a list on parts of your engine that can be removed. I know that a couple of things are the intake resonator and the tuning tube. I was wondering if there was anything else that I can take out to help my engine breath and stuff. Dont post stuff that will make my car illegal though, lol. -thanks

Re: Unnecesary Things...
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 8:51 AM
Quote:

intake resonator and the tuning tube

thats about it. but you can always drill some holes in your air box to let more air in.
and replace your stock air filter wit ha K&N drop in filter

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:53 AM
if you want it to breathe better, you gotta get rid of your restrictive stock intake system and replace it with a free flowing intake. also, replace all the restrictive exhaust from the header back... but since you want to keep the car legal, you can get bigger exhaust pipe, add a resonator, and a better muffler... which should keep the car quieter and while not technically legal in most places, it won't be as illegal cause the cops probably won't even notice or care.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 2:39 PM
why would i want to add in a resonator though?

and you know the big black box in the front part of your engine, i know that that part of the engine is the intake system, i have a few questions about it. I know you have to take it off cause all of the pics I have seen I have seen it off, so how do you take it off, it looks as though you can take it off without removing anything else. and when i take it off can i run the car without one? or do i have to get a new one first or something? i was thinking that if you take it off and dont replace it immediately you would still get some more horses than you would with it on.

i will post a pic soon to tell you exactly what i am talking about.
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 3:20 PM
to clear things up, what i meant was that when i had seen pics of other peoples engine, i had seen that to install their air filters or cold intake systems they had to take out the huge intake system that comes with the car. so can you take it out and expect to get some more HP before you add something like a K&N filter?
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 9:07 PM

ok, see the intake with the white "s" marked on it. is that what everyone takes off to put in a new filter? and will i get any HP increase with it off and no new filter on (say i am getting a K&N filter, but i want to go ahead and take off that stock intake filter, will i lose or gain any HP, can i still drive the car?)
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:12 PM
Actully people usally take off the whole box its attached too, its rather very restrictive, or some people swap out the drop in fitlers but I suggest to remove the box and replace the intake with a metal one.

ClubCav Mod
Megan Racing Springs only $99.00 !!! GP Link
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:36 PM
Quote:

why would i want to add in a resonator though?

so your car can sound better

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, May 24, 2005 10:54 PM
a resonator is kinda like a pre-muffler muffler. it'll help keep the car quieter so cops don't notice it as easily.

Thursday, May 26, 2005 5:57 PM
ok, but untill i get a new intake system can i take off that part of the intake that i desribed in the pic? and run eithout one for a little while? or will it do absolutely nothing for me, i was under the impression that the stock intake was so restrictive that if i took it off i would get a bit more horses, even without replacing it. although i am going to replace it sometime, with either a cold air intake or just a normal filter.
Thursday, May 26, 2005 7:27 PM
You should be able to tell, sense it has a filter in it that you don't wanna run it without one because it will suck in alot of dirt & sh!t and a slim chance of water getting in there. Thats why they put a filter in it. I know where you're comming from though because i used to be the same way, looking for the fastest and cheapest way to get more hp, but its better to just think about what you are doing and save your money and get a new intake or K&N air filter. 99.99% of horsepower is not cheap. But to answer you question, yes it will give you more hp...but I and I'm sure the rest of us, DON'T RECOMEND IT.

((I don't have a lead-foot, But i wear steel-toes.))

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search