Anybody due awd conversions - Newbies Forum

This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.
Anybody due awd conversions
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 7:45 AM
Im pretty interested in the wrc off road rally. Has any one herd of an awd conversion being done on a cavalier. I really want to attempt it but it is always easier if it has been done before.

Re: Anybody due awd conversions
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:28 AM
no

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:48 AM
its done all the time on VW's....well maybe not all the time but its done. they take the awd system out of TT's or aything else and swap it in...it takes alot of work...its not a simple swap but its done.

the difference is they have all the parts they need out of another car. if u cand find an AWD car that GM made then u can probably make it work....otherwise its just not worth the money and time it would take to fab up parts

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 8:58 AM
It might be possible if you have the auto trans cause i believe the equinox uses the same trans we do (not sure on that). And it has an awd option the only problem its not full time, it only kicks in when the front wheels are slipping the rest of the time its fwd.
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 9:41 AM
good luck your going to dump a lot of money into trying to acomplish something that really isnt worth it imo.
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 10:04 AM
Just by a WRX and be done with it.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:05 AM
check ebay, they usually sell bolt in conversions for things like this.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:13 AM
This has also been a thought that pops in my mind every once in a while. The biggest problem i can see would be getting the proper transmission and rear end. It would require alot of custom work(duh), probably so much that the end result wouldn't be worth it.

Do I believe that it can be done?
If u can get the right transmission, then yes.

Have i heard of anyone doing it?
No.

Am i going to be flamed for thinking out of the box like u?
Probably

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:54 AM
To add to that anything can be done with enough time and money.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 5:21 PM
Just buy a Justy, put the biggest turbo you can fit, 4 good tires and enjoy your quick AWD car.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, January 13, 2008 1:26 AM
It would probably be cheaper to buy a AWD car out right. a FWD to RWD in most cases is costy. Lots of custom work, but hey, if you have the money, I say go for it.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 7:32 PM

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:34 PM
you would need more than a transmission, the heart of any AWD/4WD is the transfercase. you would also need more room for double the amount of parts such as...

1: rear drive shaft: the floor would have to be channeled for that. (check the "RWD in cavalier" threads for that.... then tell me if you still want to it then. if you do make it then you can move on to the next part.

2: front and rear suspension: you have to completely change its set up, you now have a new drive system under there so your old suspension will not "bolt" up to your new set up.

3: transfercase: you need to make room for this, and you have to find a way to bolt it to the frame, you would have to make custom mounts and everything.

4: powerplant: I dont think any motor that came in the cavalier would be able to be compatible with any AWD system thats out there, make this happen you are on to something!

5: availability: parts are going to be hard to find, you dont see many newer AWD cars at the junk yard, I dont see a huge supply of EVO's, WRX's or any newer AWD car that you can use as donor car.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:41 AM
theres like 8 AWD TURBO talon's and Laser's at a junker near my house. they're not that UNcommon.

Sunday, February 03, 2008 10:15 AM
Thrice . wrote:theres like 8 AWD TURBO talon's and Laser's at a junker near my house. they're not that UNcommon.

Lucky, their hard to find in MO (cheap anyways).

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:21 AM
Not worth the time or energy. After doing all the transmission swap your going to have to do custom suspension etc...

As was said previously your better off buying a used AWD car. Pre 2.5L WRX's can be had for fairly cheap now (a lot less than the cost of conversion) and for a couple hundred can be very impezzive .

-Chris

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:28 AM
due? lol

Saturday, February 09, 2008 5:52 PM
btw the easiest way this could probably be done is with the AWD isuzu trans from an impulse (i think)

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 12:04 AM
I am also interested in the potential for an AWD J-body. Sometimes you just want to do something for the heck of it 'cuz you have time to kill and you wanna have fun and/or try something new. It seems to me, that since a lot of J-bodies with manuals have isuzu transmissions, a start would be to look into the AWD drivetrains that are available in the Isuzu/Suzuki lineup over the years. I think its a cool idea, but no I agree its not practical, but hey, some of us like our J-bodies better than any AWD cars on the market. Good luck with your research.
Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:43 PM
This is a interesting topic,

I just finished getting project HELL FIRE running just need body work and 1 last thing,

2000 Grand Am ram air body full front clip
Grand am front brakes, hubs, control arms
Rear IRS conversion (done right) other guys set ups are not strong at all mine is
GTZ HO 2.3 5speed
OBD1 harness head to tail light
Cobolt lnf exhaust and fuel pump with a regulator
impala heavy duty bearings all round
GTP bbs style rims
list go's on

I sold the lnf engine so that never happened sorry if any one wanted to see that.

*ADVERTISING REMOVED*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:33 PM
Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:58 PM
stablevelocity wrote:This is a interesting topic,

I just finished getting project HELL FIRE running just need body work and 1 last thing,

2000 Grand Am ram air body full front clip
Grand am front brakes, hubs, control arms
Rear IRS conversion (done right) other guys set ups are not strong at all mine is
GTZ HO 2.3 5speed
OBD1 harness head to tail light
Cobolt lnf exhaust and fuel pump with a regulator
impala heavy duty bearings all round
GTP bbs style rims
list go's on

I sold the lnf engine so that never happened sorry if any one wanted to see that.

*ADVERTISING REMOVED*

awesome ad bro. and posted 5 times verbatim in one of the slowest moving forums on the site.

1. pics or gtfo
2. the holes in your rotors on your BBK look to be drilled off center.
3. no really, this is 2012. if you cant take pictures to prove your story BEFORE you post it, gtfo.
4. you have grand am front hubs but "impala heavy duty bearings all the way around"? do tell...
5. i highly doubt you will find many willing investors without pictures on the internet in november 2012.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, November 27, 2012 12:34 PM

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!

Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:06 PM
hasty my friend,

get your eyes checked what drilled rotors.

what do you want to see
Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:09 PM
I would like to see the cobalt fuel pump that runs on the OBD 1 system, I have also seen this posted 3-4 times. Wtf?

Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:14 PM
I tell you what any day you want to come and pull my tank go a head, i cut apart my unit and hooked it up but if you want to see feel free, now would you like to see picture off any thing not in my tank bolted to the bottom of my car,
Sunday, November 25, 2012 7:52 PM
I'll be posting pics of the car in the following day's

So every one can see what car looks like now and during the creation of the AWD set up
This thread is locked.
For more information about why this thread might have been locked, please read the rules.

Start New Topic Advanced Search