RWD - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
RWD
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:39 AM
I have seen several J-Bodies converted to rear wheel drive for NHRA bracket racing.

Is any data available for this alteration?

Is there a streetable version?

Re: RWD
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:57 AM
Damn its hot today

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:38 AM
gravana tuning makes a direct bolt in kit to make the car rwd.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:55 AM
I've seen it done, and it looks good.
$15 for pictures....
haha
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:01 AM
i converted my cav to RWD using parts from a 240sx. I didnt like it much so i then converted it to AWD with parts from an EVO

easy swap

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:16 AM
J03Y wrote:i converted my cav to RWD using parts from a 240sx. I didnt like it much so i then converted it to AWD with parts from an EVO

easy swap

you have pics? i wanna see this awd cav

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:33 AM
i heard the sti awd swap gives 15% more topspeed than the evo one

http://members.cardomain.com/yellow05cavy
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:41 AM
my AWD swap came out of a Trailblazer SS. 6.0L FTW!

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:55 AM
you guys are all suckers, mid engine ftw!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:06 PM
I can switch mine from FWD to RWD anytime I want. thats what the R on the shifter means Rear wheel drive. just gotta look over your shoulder though.

5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY FREEBIE GIVEAWAY - CLICK HERE TO ENTER
What you know about Street Racing anyways? Only what Fast & Furious taught us....
SO EVERYTHING!
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:46 PM
[quote=BoltZ DesignZ™]I can switch mine from FWD to RWD anytime I want. thats what the R on the shifter means Rear wheel drive. just gotta look over your shoulder though.

lol im sure you could convince some idiot.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:57 PM
http://www.smithperformance.com/catalogue_cav.html

check there, its a start. but no, no one has any write up that i am aware of

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:06 PM
Jarett, I thought yours was a rear engine AWD? and i wrong?

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 5:41 AM
EVOFire (DesertTuners) wrote:Jarett, I thought yours was a rear engine AWD? and i wrong?

actually, I'm working on an adjustable engine rail/driveshaft system. the engine and trans will actually move through the car from front to back for optimum weight distribution. it's pretty slick.

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:28 AM
Did anyone ever tell you guys that you're a bunch of asses?

If you think it's a stupid comment, say its a stupid comment.

If you don't know if it's possible, why not give it a try. That's my plan. I've got the parts, and now I have the car. As soon as I can weld up the frame on my s-10 and get it out of the garage, this is going to be my winter project. If the wife agrees to the funding, it should be ready by next years bash.

As for the first poster......I know of about 3 threads already on here about RWD J's. A quick search would have left these guys with one less thread to laugh at.
Wednesday, June 25, 2008 2:26 PM
please by all means post progress pictures of this and prove them wrong, if you hadn't noticed that is asked almost biweekly! prove them all wrong and shut them up, id love to see your project, but if your like most then you have a friends of and uncles father that can do the work for you and your getting all of the parts together to never do it! I know of 1 yellow cav that has a small block in it i believe and thats RWD.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:58 PM
It's a heavy duty mod that will seriously compromise the structural integrity of the car unless you know exactly what to do to support the car. There are many who've done it. Most of the NHRA cars are tube chassis built close to the stock measurements but purely intended to go fast and straight. There are only two RWD cars that I have seen that could be considered modified streetable and only one of those cars could be mistaken for a stock or mildly modified car from 50 feet away. However the giant bulge in the hood gives away it's secrets.

Personally if I wanted a RWD car as a project I'd go with the F-body. I don't have the resources to do something like this to my J.
Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:54 AM
I've done the F-Body thing already. I refuse to spend money on a mustang.

I've got all the drivetrain things from the F-body when I parted it out, and spare parts from my s-10. I spent 200 bucks to get the body.

I've got the fire wrench and the spark wrench, couple cases of beer, now I need the time.
Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:04 AM
right...this is posted every few weeks. some noob thinks they're gonna try this, or they have a second cousin of an uncles friend with a shop who says they can do it, etc and then never post again.

so i really hope you do try it, but i have money in hand that says this never happens.

Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:20 AM
phil wrote:I've done the F-Body thing already. I refuse to spend money on a mustang.

I've got all the drivetrain things from the F-body when I parted it out, and spare parts from my s-10. I spent 200 bucks to get the body.

I've got the fire wrench and the spark wrench, couple cases of beer, now I need the time.

its not that we arent saying its impossible but like others have said, we have heard this time and time again that so and so has all the parts and this persons fathers uncles neighbors 3rd brother in laws 2nd cousin twice removed owns a shop and wont charge him for the labor. if you can get it done more props to you, please post pics but the majority of the time we never hear from these people again. i believe there was 1 person that actually posted progress pics but they never finished

Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:07 PM
ok i dont know much about this swap but isnt an s10 almost the samething as a Cavi cant this be used to convert the cav, I mean when I look at a lot of things on the s10 (engine bay) it almost looks like im staring into a J

Sunday, June 29, 2008 10:19 PM
hahaha they share the 2.2 litre motors... that's it. a full frame pickup and a unibody car do not share anything else.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:55 AM
Mike wrote:ok i dont know much about this swap but isnt an s10 almost the samething as a Cavi cant this be used to convert the cav, I mean when I look at a lot of things on the s10 (engine bay) it almost looks like im staring into a J

i heard you drive past, and your muffler bearings are shot. if you really believe what you just said, please turn in your license, you don't deserve to drive. if you cant tell the difference between something as obvious as a full frame light duty truck and a unibody econobox car, then i don't want you anywhere near me when you get confused by the different colours on a stoplight.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, July 01, 2008 11:32 AM
um like i said i dont know about the swap I did state that I dont know @!#$ about trucks or "econoboxes" I dont care about trucks or cars thats why im not a mechanic I just care about my car...so whats the problem??

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:23 PM
To OP:
any progress on this? Just like joey said, id be willing to bet money this never happens!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search