newbie with grandmas cavy - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
newbie with grandmas cavy
Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:28 PM
Hello everyone I'm here to learn as much as possible about working on my grad present.
I guess to start off I went from a 88 mustang gt to a 2002 cavalier base model. I work full time doing construction and have picked up on a few mechanical skills working on the trucks and equipment. I'm realy interested in boosing my car at some point but I have to many conserns about it before I am willing to drop 2 grand on a reliable turbo. I know I'm going to need to upgrade fuel delivery to keep the right fual to air ratio but besides that and a tune afterwards is there anything else that needs to be done to prep the engine. I am just over 100k miles should I rebuild the engine prior or can it handle 8-10 psi without blowing. Another question is if I puta header on is that going to be in vein when I need to hook up a turbo to the exhaust with a new manifold?

I'm currently waiting on a new spyder exhaust system a pace setter header a zex fuel pump b & m star shifter and ky hydrolic ebrake and install kit. Would I need to tune my car after I get new bigger injectors and short ram air intake

Re: newbie with grandmas cavy
Friday, October 26, 2012 5:19 AM
well you gotta tell the engine your putting in more fuel so yes...the intake no you dont need a tune...also if you plan on boosting then id say dont put in a header cuz youll just have to get rid of it later
Friday, October 26, 2012 1:19 PM
Thanks is getting my car tuned expensive or would it be better to buy what's needed to do it myself how steep of a learning curve is it typlicaly with the software
Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:53 AM
i'll be honest i've never done tuning myself so i dont know whats involved and yes tuning is quite pricey but its worth going to a pro that knows what they're doing so you dont blow up your engine. also on the header side gm was smart with the manifold design and flows very well i put on a header and there really wasnt any gain except in the high end. also wait on the injectors till your ready to boost your car then get everything tuned at the same time
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search