Will having an aftermarket radiator cooling fan have any negative effects on the pcm ? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Will having an aftermarket radiator cooling fan have any negative effects on the pcm ?
Sunday, November 04, 2012 8:55 PM
Hello fellow j body memebers ! I'm the new prooud owner of a 1999 chevrolet cavalier z24 ! The car did not come with the factory cooling fan, but instead has an aftermarket fan made by hayden with a direct power connection to the car battery using a 30 amp in line fuse and a toggle switch inside the car to turn the fan on and off.

My concern is that this may have some kind of negative effect since the factory cooling fan is controlled by the pcm. Will having this aftermarket cooling fan have any negative effects on the car's electrical system or pcm ? Also, since the aftermarket fan has reversible blades, should the blades be in the push or pull position ? I'm not sure whether the factory fan was a pull type or push type as it was not installed on the car when I purchased it.

Re: Will having an aftermarket radiator cooling fan have any negative effects on the pcm ?
Monday, November 12, 2012 6:22 PM
You shouldnt have anything to worry about with having an aftermarket fan except maybe leaving them on and ending up with a dead battery.

As far as the push or pull. It depends on which side of the radiator the fan is mounted. The factory on is mounted on the engine side. If yours is youll want them pulling air through the radiator. Otherwise the fan will counteract the air flowing through the radiator at low speeds and youll overheat.

Re: Will having an aftermarket radiator cooling fan have any negative effects on the pcm ?
Monday, November 12, 2012 6:39 PM
It may not have any negative effects but fans do tend to pull alot of current at start up and you will more then likely burn out the switch.

I suggest just going to your local you pick it yard or even look on ebay and put the stock fan back on. Trust me..it sucks having to switch a fan on and off all the time.
Monday, November 12, 2012 6:40 PM
Cool deal, thanks ! I was concerned because the hayden fans come in the push position from the factory out of the box and this one was already installed in the car when I bought it. I just wanted to make sure that it was installed properly. The fan is mounted on the engine side of the radiator and it is pulling air through the radiator.
Monday, November 12, 2012 6:43 PM
Why not wire in a relay and use the factory fan wiring to trigger it?

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:23 PM
Oedwards wrote:Why not wire in a relay and use the factory fan wiring to trigger it?

I like this idea but I couldnt remember if Js run a separate fan switch like my Civic.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search