Is it worth it? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Is it worth it?
Monday, April 29, 2013 8:08 PM
OK, so my J-body is an '03 Sunfire GT 2-door coupe automatic with 106,000 miles. I haven't had any problems with it so far, owning it for a year just had to replace my alternator and my brake pads. I put in a cold air intake and I would be down to put more mods on it. The thing is I dont know if it is worth it with that many miles on it. My question is how long do these things run for till stuff starts seriously going to hell? I love driving my 'fire and I hope I still have some life with her!

Re: Is it worth it?
Friday, May 03, 2013 7:34 PM
Mines a 97 with 140,000 miles on it and I replaced a oil pressure switch, oil sensor regular, 2 O2 sensors and just last week replace my catalytic converter.

Saturday, May 04, 2013 1:26 AM
106k is just breaking the car in..lol I say for more mods go for it.. and stuff will wear out and break at any time you just have to fix it and keep going.lol mine is at 210k and still running like a champ but iv also fixed a lot of stuff along the way..

Saturday, May 04, 2013 4:09 AM
As long as you take good care of it it will last a long time. Regular Oil and other fluid changes. Check the belt and hoses on a regular basis and chance them when needed etc...

Saturday, May 04, 2013 1:37 PM
Thanks a lot for the input guys!

Sunday, May 05, 2013 5:31 AM
atleast if something breaks on the car you can always find a replacement on rockauto.com there parts are cheaper then most part stores. I just have to get my rear quarter panel under my gas tank door fixed and then do more mods to my car.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 3:40 AM
230050 km on mine and with regular synthetic oïl changes and 91 octane fed with only minor repairs so far like control arm bushings and muffler strap rusting every 2 to 3 years.

BLACKMANTIS
Sunday, October 06, 2013 3:43 AM
Oh and I almost forgot the drivers side Wheel bearing at 172000 km !

BLACKMANTIS
Tuesday, October 08, 2013 1:04 PM
lol don't do it

the cavalier and sunfire already suck as it is, save your money for a better vehicle in the future, use the sunfire for point a to b

it already has 110k miles
Friday, October 11, 2013 1:02 AM
well lets see I have a 99 cavi with a 2.4 ld9 with 200.000km on it
it had 170 when I got it all the internals or stuck I have put 30.000 on it and the only thing I have had to fix is a alt and a clutch(when I first got it)
now is it worth is,well I have been running a m45 supercharger on it tunes with 6 lbs of boost
here are the mods on my stock internals on a ld9 motor and it and I have no problems blowing the doors off of vtecs with mods
m45 s/c at 6 lbs of boost
obx 4 into 1 header 2 1/4 piping rockez muffler
ls1 42lb injectors
ls1 afpr
autometer fuel pressure gauge(on fuel rail)
greddy catch can
custom cold air intake(fresh air from front spoiler)
center force clutch
steel braided lines
holley fuel pump
b&m short shifter
fully tuned
aem methanol inj with a devils own controller 1 gallon tank in the trunk
full eiback spings sway bars links bushings(poly)
drilled sloted rotors and ceramic pads
autometer boost,w/b air fuel,shiftlight
custom paint and bodykit
and more!!!
221 hp 208 torch at the wheels with out the meth on!
on stock internals
is it worth it well you can drive another Honda or build something that very few dare to showup at for car meets in and make everone say wow!!
and park your car and no you have the balls to go more most dare too and to no you can stand up to most of what is parked and say ya its a chevy with a smile and proud of it..
p.s nothing against Hondas or any import
is it worth it @!#$YA......
Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:58 PM
I didn't even supercharge my car til it had over 120k miles on it, so mod away!

Key is maintenance. Take care of it and it'll last.

Friday, December 20, 2013 5:49 PM
Id say mod away, I have similar mileage and just had to replace the water outlet on my LD9. lost most of my coolant, well I was at it, flushed the cooling system, changed both rad hoses, new thermostat, rad cap, new temp sensor and new coolant. some stuff didn't need to be changed, could of been a $30-50 fix but I spent a little over $200 and replaced some stuff that may fail one day, you just have to keep up on maintenance. After the repairs, my car seems to warm up faster and maintain a more consistant temp once warmed up. I think even if my car ever did die, Id buy another cavalier or do an eco swap.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:53 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Personally, what it all comes down to is personal opinion. My '03 2-door auto Sunfire GT is honestly a dream first car for me, as Im just a University student and as I do more and more to it, I use it as a foundation to learn more and more about how cars work and how you can make them perform better. I do not think my car is or ever will be fast, but one things for certain its alot of fun to have. My mods this far include; AEM cold air intake, Magnaflow 2.25' in, 3' out muffler, B&M shiftplus kit, RK sport upper engine mount, TTR lower engine mount. In the future ill be putting on Prothane CA bushings, Tokico Ground Control Coilovers, front and rear strut brace, TSUDO 4-2-1 header to stock cat to resonator (size TBD) and 2.25 exhaust out.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 4:48 PM
251,000 miles, trusted on my 1300 mile trip to southern texas.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search