whats better.. - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
whats better..
Monday, May 27, 2013 7:45 PM
whats better 2.2 non ecotec or the ecotec..im trying to figure out which is better and why?
i have a 99 cavy 2.2 non ecotec

Re: whats better..
Monday, May 27, 2013 7:59 PM
It depends on its intended use, for gas mileage I would say 2.2 ohv( aka ln2, which you have). The ln2 is a robust engine, but it's limited in forced induction parts being readily available, as in supercharger setup just don't really exist, turbo setups are less common than with the other engines. Only plus side over the ecotec on boosted setups is the 2000-2002 LN2s can use the 2000-2002 LD9 supercharger reflash for a true 2 bar tune, where as the ecotec stock pcm can not do so.

For performance I would say 2.2 ecotec hands down, starts with roughly 30 more horsepower, turbo and supercharger setups are very easy to find and aftermarket parts are plentiful. And the engine has proven itself to make big power.

Monday, May 27, 2013 8:02 PM
ok i get it now..im just trying to figure this out because i just bought it....idk what they did to it previously but its pretty quick...can u make this engine fast or no?
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:50 AM
It can be made fast yes... but it takes a lot more work to build the LN2 then the other 2 cavalier third gen engines... I myself have built up a couple and come to find out to make power out of them it costs more.... also the LN2 is an 8 valve engine where as the ecotec is a 16 valve engine... There is plenty out there to make power just depends on your buget

Erik Packard
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 7:28 AM
There are a few impressive ln2s on here, however a bolt on N/A ln2 isn't even in the hp ballpark of a stock l61 or ld9. For simplicity sake, you would be better off swapping to an ld9 and start modding it. You will need, engine, trans, engine bay wiring harness and pcm.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 7:48 AM
well im all about the underdog engine and from what i have in reciepts im looking at upgraded fuel system,tien coil overs,an intake, a big bore throttle body, head decked and port and polished, and a tune...what else should i do?
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:08 AM
Bigger valves... a bigger bore throttle body is not made for the engine... you will have to either convert it to an lt1 throttle body or something else... also a bigger cam is made.... this helped my LN2 dramatically...

Erik Packard
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:10 AM
The suspension would be your best bet for a fun car to drive, all those engine mods won't net you much performance wise. The stock fuel system is good to 250hp or more, so no need to upgrade unless your planning a built motor with a turbo or nitrous. All those engine mods should net you 10whp, give or take. A cam would help, but then you need valve springs and rockers.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:33 AM
get the Older LS1 valve springs and keepers if you can find them as for rockers there is a post in the performance section that states what rockers to use.... it takes quite a bit to mod this engine but like I said if you have the time and money anything is possiable

Erik Packard
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 11:53 AM
well i just spoe to the original owner...the throttle body is a big bore that he shipped out and did from maxbore.com..it has an lt1 fuel rail/ injectors. now i was thinking of running a lil bigger cam and a t3 at 10psi? does that sound good?
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:12 PM
and may i ask what is the best performance chip/tuner?

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 5:36 AM
if you plan on running any kind of boost you need to change the internals and how could you not have a tune with an lt1 fuel rail conversion considering the ln2 is a side feed injector and if you do this conversion you would have to hp tune it... Please dont say things you have when you dont.... also there is no chip made for these cars their all a myth

Erik Packard
Wednesday, May 29, 2013 6:15 AM
Sorry that was my bad pre 97 had the side feed injectors still to swap around injectors and injector rails like that would require a tune and some rewiring there not just plug and play if thats what you were thinking

Erik Packard
Monday, June 10, 2013 8:24 PM
robert voss wrote:well im all about the underdog engine and from what i have in reciepts im looking at upgraded fuel system,tien coil overs,an intake, a big bore throttle body, head decked and port and polished, and a tune...what else should i do?

Ricozero it clearly says he has a tune

Me: Mmmmmm, what is this? It tastes just like chicken and rice!
Him: Hey! That's my Civic bro!
Me: Sweet, I was right.
Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:14 AM
JetpackAhoy wrote:
robert voss wrote:well im all about the underdog engine and from what i have in reciepts im looking at upgraded fuel system,tien coil overs,an intake, a big bore throttle body, head decked and port and polished, and a tune...what else should i do?

Ricozero it clearly says he has a tune

Not if he is clearly asking what the best tune/ chip is... sorry but what he says is false there is no big bore throttle body.... sorry but this just seems like another newbie talking his A$$.... Yes some of the questions are legit but others sorry ive been there did that and they are not true with the ln2.....

Erik Packard
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search