How strong are 2nd and 3rd gen j-body unibodies? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How strong are 2nd and 3rd gen j-body unibodies?
Tuesday, December 24, 2013 12:14 AM
Hello, I am quite new here, so new that I just found out about this forum 2 days ago. I did a search for my question. Of which his the title of this thread. I am wondering how strong these unibodies are. Mostly because I love the 2nd gen sunbirds and 3rd gen cavies. And want to take a "miss-handled" sunbird or cavalier and do a rear wheel drive swap on it. I know that this has been discussed many times before. But I think I have a much different approach from what I have seen. So onto the original question, how much power and torque can these take? I was thinking of plating the unibody frame rails ( what ever the heck they are called I do not know) with some kind of plate, making strut braces, and sub frame connectors possibly?. Not sure on that part but I think you can understand where I am going with this.
Thanks In advance Guy's and Gal's.
LowBudget

Re: How strong are 2nd and 3rd gen j-body unibodies?
Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:12 AM
To better understand the scope of the question it would be helpful to know what your intentions are for the car. Are you wanting to do an RWD swap for a street machine or do you have intentions on making a circle track or strip car out of it? What kind of power levels are you looking to reach?

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 12:43 PM
plus there are a few v8 swapped cars already done.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:26 PM
13pages of RWD swap, lots of pictures, recently updated

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Thursday, December 26, 2013 11:57 AM
Hello thanks for the responses guys!
I am going to just make it a fun little street car out of it. I would like 400 hp at the crank. It doesn't need to be a 200mph car haha. But just want it to be quick. And I also want it to be front engine.
Monday, March 03, 2014 5:11 PM
Hi Carter,
What were you thinking to use as your mechanics? Did you want to keep all your HVAC ?
Not much for kits out there. You'll need to be handy or good friends in the metal fab business.
cheers

Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:01 PM
Mikey G wrote:Hi Carter,
What were you thinking to use as your mechanics? Did you want to keep all your HVAC ?
Not much for kits out there. You'll need to be handy or good friends in the metal fab business.
cheers[/quote

Plan was to use a turbo'd 4.3v6 .probably a 700r4 and a f**d explorer 8.8 rear end. would love to keep my HVAC. was planning to make new control arms (or whatever they are called. Not familiar with the terminology.) to connect the axle to braced factory brackets.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search