Newbie Questions - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newbie Questions
Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:37 AM
Hey,

Im a fellow newbie in Orlando Fl with a 3rd Gen sunfire coupe (99). I just had some basic questions im hoping some of my fellow J bodies could share with me.

1) Besides the Trans am back seats what other back seats might fit?

2) I want to replace the engine and swap out the tranny for a manual. Would it be better to buy it used or have the one I have rebuilt?

3) Lol has anyone attempted to put 15" subs in the trunk

4) Don't want my car to sound ricey or anything yet wich muffler would be good, im looking to change it to a cat back system.

Thanks! Ill put some before and after photos, I plan on buying a simple body kit and plasti dipping the entire car white.

Re: Newbie Questions
Sunday, December 29, 2013 6:37 PM
2. Which engine do you have? depends on how much you want to spend and your goals.
3. I built a box for a friends 98 cavalier many years ago, we have to assemble the box in the trunk. I later bought the box off him and installed it in my Cobalt SS. it was for 2 15s. it can be done, but the air apace required for them, means you need a really big box.
4. Do you want a muffler or cat back system? most guys like the Dynomax turbo flow.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Re: Newbie Questions
Tuesday, December 31, 2013 12:14 PM
Welcome to JBO.

1. Lots of seats will fit, nothing direct drop in, but there are limitless options with a little creativity. I've seen 04-06 GTO seats (which are a tight fit), Cobalt SS, SRT4, and so on. I was working on fitting Lexus IS300 seats into my cav, and the rears were just going to require a little trimming and fabbing some mounting points into the car.
People have also fabbed brackets to put buckets in the rear...again, with a little work, sky is pretty much the limit.

2. Like said, it's helpful to know what motor and tranny you have now. Are you just replacing with a healthier stock motor? Building the motor for performance? Give us some info on what you have, and what your goal is, and we can better advise you.

3. 15's can be done, but like mentioned, keep in mind the amount of air space required for whatever sub you are choosing - that'll be your main limiting factor. When I first bought my car, I had 2 15's for a short time, just mounted to piece of MDF, attached against the back of the rear seat and wasn't half bad. Wasn't a show winning setup, but worked for my purposes lol.
Head on over the the Audio & Electronics forum, and search there for setups people have done in the past. I think for the most part, if it's doable, someone here has done it.

4. A resonator + a good cat will be your friend for sure. I'd go ahead and toss on a header too while you're at it (again, telling us what motor you have will help us recommend a good header).
Rule of thumb is stuff the longest resonator in line that you can fit; that will help combat any raspiness and "bees in a can" type tones. And take your pick of quality mufflers...it's ultimately a choice of the sound you like best. I personally love the Dynomax Super turbo, have one on both my DD and project car.

And again, if you're already spending on a cat back, just spring for full exhaust and be done. I run a Pacesetter header into 2.5" stainless, with a high flow cat, Silverline resonator, and Dynomax Superturbo muffler, and I absolutely love it (on a 2.2 Eco). Nice low throaty tone, no raspiness, not too loud.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search