New kid on the block! - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New kid on the block!
Sunday, March 16, 2014 4:53 PM
Whats up guys! Well i originally got this car for the soul purpose of it being my daily driver as i already have 1 project car, that being my e30 325i. I got the car for cheap i feel, it's a 2001 sedan, autotragic, really just a bare necessity type car, no power windows. All i know is it has a/c, heat and gets good mpg. However the more i drive it, the more i see myself wanting to mod it, it's different, they are unique cars and it's not every day you see them modified. I am pretty sure the motor in it is complete crap for making power plus it's an automatic. I would love to swap in another motor, do a manual swap as well. If nothing else, i will for sure be doing suspension work. Anyway, i need to do a major clean up on it and a few maintenance stuffs but here she is as i purchased!

Re: New kid on the block!
Sunday, March 16, 2014 5:18 PM
Being newer than 2000, it is perfect for an ecotec swap.
With the ecotec, there is decent power n/a like the ld9(2.4l) but there is more/better boost options, the 00-02 LD9 had a M45 supercharger kit made for it by gm and the ecotec has a m62 kit made for it which is the same s/c as the cobalt ss/sc. Also there is a lot of hybrid options with the ecotec. Some guys have ran lsj motor or le5 motor in the cavalier. If you want to go turbo, you can used a turbo off a Saab and I believe the LNF cobalt, you can use the turbo off that on the ecotec. With the LD9, you may still be able to find parts to turbo it(turbo manifold) but they are becoming harder and harder to find parts, with the Ecotec, almost everything that works on the cobalt motors work on the ecotec in the cavalier.
Another option some guys have done, is a V6 swap, I don't know much about the V6 swaps but there is some good write ups, I believe there is a sticky in the 3rd gen forum.

The stock suspension and brakes are pretty crappy on the cavalier, suspension mods really improve it a lot. My advice, if you do plan on doing a motor swap(and maybe boost as well) upgrade the suspension and brakes first, then when the car is faster, it can handle it.

Let us know your budget and goals with the car and we can probably guide you in the right direction with the motor and whether or not you want a turbo or supercharger....

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**
2014 Kia Forte Koup SX 6spd - 1.6L Turbo - My new car
2015 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD - Wifes Car

Sunday, March 16, 2014 6:24 PM
I really am not sure i want to go turbo, suspension and brake upgrades are first on the list always! Would probably end up going with whatever is reliable honestly, not really shooting for anything more than maybe 170hp, that would be a fun enough dd for me lol. Figured headers, intake and exhaust. I also have to see what's up with doing the 5 speed swap.
Sunday, March 16, 2014 6:58 PM
IMO, Id go the eco swap way, seems to be a lot of support for the motor and they can make pretty decent power N/A. I am not sure how easily you will get to 170hp, but you can put a header on, intake, etc and see how it goes, if that is not enough power, look into the M62 supercharger and you should be able to make around +200whp depending on size of pulley and cooling mods. As long as you don't go to crazy, the eco/m62 can be pretty reliable.

For the 5 spd swap, there are some good write ups but not sure where. Some things are hard to find on this forum. This is from the Library, not really a step by step how to but gives you the basic info.

2000 Cavalier Z24 5spd - Intake, Dynomax muffler, Hawk Pads, Powerslot rotors, Sportlines/Koni reds, Neon Coil, MSD 8.5 Wires - **SOLD**

Sunday, March 16, 2014 10:26 PM
Yeah, i will more than likely hang with the OHV motor for now. Probably need to freshen it up a little and figure out whats up with the brakes, ABS and brake light are both on which is always a great sign to see lol. Also my damn cluster is saying error. Got a few kinks to work out.
Monday, March 17, 2014 5:25 PM
Oh yeah, get the brakes and stuff looked at first. Car does look like its in very good cond though, body looks clean. It's always nice to start with a good body, I personally hate body work so I would rather have to fix the mechanical stuff then do body work on a car.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search