Newb introduction - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newb introduction
Tuesday, May 06, 2014 11:54 PM
Hi guys, just wanted to fire off an intro. I'm glad I finally got into this forum, I tried to register a couple months ago but it kept giving me these weird errors. Anyway, my name is Shinta and I own a 1998 sunfire coupe with a 2200 OHC LN2 engine. I recently decided I want to mod the car, its a big risk with the age of the car and the miles on the engine, but so far the car is running smooth, the car owes me nothing and if she is gonna go out, I want to send her out with a bang.

The car has a major problem with the wiring, mainly due to the fact it sat in storage for 4 years before I bought it and it seems the mice got to chewing on the wires. It wasn't really a problem until this past winter, the harshness of the winter here in Ontario meant lots of snow, slush and salt on the roads and salt water and electricity make for some bad corrosion. My plan on that front is just to replace the essential wiring as I go rather than tearing the car to pieces and replacing the entire harness. The car has no mods as of yet, but due to a recent fender bender, it will be getting repainted, the same color of course. I have really fallen in love with the dark purple look, I may even go a darker midnight purple at some point or with my next car, but for now, just a repaint.

The plans for the car have only just begun. The clutch is starting to slip a little in third gear so I'm thinking of starting with either a SPEC stage 1 clutch or a centerforce twin plate clutch but haven't decided for sure yet. Eventually I want to upgrade the transmission but I'm sure there are some more small mods I can do before that becomes necessary. The simple stuff will be done soon such as brakes and rotors, spark plugs and wires, bearings, etc. The Exhaust needs to be replaced eventually, but I will probably just maintain the stock exhaust until I decide what I'm doing with the engine I.E. turbocharger possibly. I've looked into some turbos and the one that keeps coming up in conversations about sunfires is the garret T25 or the T25G. But, I believe there are some things that need to be taken care of before I can put in a turbo. One forum post I saw said that the weakest link in the engine is the piston rods, so I am guessing I would need to replace those first, then there were a few other things in the engine that would need to be replaced to be able to withstand the power increase. As you can see, the list goes on and on.

My goals for the car aren't to make it a super fast track car. I just want a casual tuner. If I could get it to low 14s on the quarter, I would be satisfied with that. Once the engine actually fails though, then the fun really begins, the car will then be put into storage once again but when I have the money, I plan on doing a full mod, right down to the frame. The car will be converted to rear wheel drive, the engine will hopefully be replaced with an RB26DETT, the frame will be modified to withstand high torque and horsepower and the body panels will be reassembled and modified to hide any of the changes made. I may even go as far as to make it look like a true sunflower rice rocket because if there is anything less intimidating than a sunflower, it's a rice rocket sunflower. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this, the plan is to make the ultimate sleeper. This baby will look like a young teenagers wet dream but on the inside will be a true tuners kryptonite. Now I know what you are thinking, why would I want to go through the trouble and waste all that time, effort and money to do this to a sunfire when I could just buy a decent car and build it up and the short answer is... for the lols. That's right, I'm just doing it for the kick, just so I can see the look on a guys face when I pull up next to him on the track ready to pit my sunfire against his big shiny muscle car. At first I'm sure he'd be laughing, but then when he sees my back wheels spinning in the warm up and his jaw drops when he hears those twin turbos wind up, he will know in that moment, he's about to lose all of his credibility as a racer.

Re: Newb introduction
Wednesday, May 07, 2014 3:39 AM
Lol, ok. What makes you think that your engine is a OHC? Piston rods? Connecting rod or pistons, they are 2 separate parts with another different part that connects them together.

Wednesday, May 07, 2014 5:30 AM
Also I'm pretty sure there is nothing a t25 can do that a stock motor can't handle...

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:31 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Lol, ok. What makes you think that your engine is a OHC? Piston rods? Connecting rod or pistons, they are 2 separate parts with another different part that connects them together.
My bad, meant OHV
Wednesday, May 07, 2014 10:43 PM
Tinkles(KGM) wrote:Lol, ok. What makes you think that your engine is a OHC? Piston rods? Connecting rod or pistons, they are 2 separate parts with another different part that connects them together.

Oh and there is more than one term for connecting rods, connecting rods = piston rods, same thing different term. The forums post I saw said they need to be replaced cause they tend to buckle or something, not sure, I'd have to find the post again.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search