Newbie from Oregon with a Question - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Newbie from Oregon with a Question
Tuesday, February 17, 2015 6:13 PM
Have a 1992 Z24, Have had several over the years. Looks like a good place for info. Car getting up in mileage and things are cropping up here and there. Current problem is the alt putting out 16+ volts at alt and battery. Battery light flickers some and also comes on and off. Had the battery and alt cked and replaced the battery. Problem still persists. Car runs normally and always starts and runs good. Thanks for any info.

Re: Newbie from Oregon with a Question
Tuesday, February 17, 2015 7:14 PM
Does your belt squeel at all when you first start the car?
Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:24 AM
No belt noise at all. Bench testing at the local rebuild shop shows 100 amp/14+/- volt output. Not sure if they loaded it down to 14 to get the 100 or the 14 was free spin and loaded it more to get the 100 amps. Battery was 8 yrs old and showed up weak on both a load test and scanner test. No loose or bad wires that I have found.
Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:08 AM
Danny Anderson wrote:No belt noise at all. Bench testing at the local rebuild shop shows 100 amp/14+/- volt output. Not sure if they loaded it down to 14 to get the 100 or the 14 was free spin and loaded it more to get the 100 amps. Battery was 8 yrs old and showed up weak on both a load test and scanner test. No loose or bad wires that I have found.

Welcome to the forum.

Bench tested at 14 volts but reads 16 when installed . . . has to be worn belt or bad ground possibly? Or maybe belt tensioner . . .

Just a heads up, you'll probably get a lot more responses from guys who know a lot more than me if you post this question in the second generation forum

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 6:06 PM
Thanks for the info and advice. Still looking at the sight and seeing what post go where. Took it another parts house and cked it on their fancy computer controlled machine. Once they figured out how to run it it tested fine on that one too. Being unable to find any other problems I figured it must be an intermittent problem not showing up on either machine. Bought another alt(they thought I was wrong). and installed it. Whoopee no light and 14.5 volts at the battery. First thought was the alt but testing showed fine and forced me into looking else where. Should have stayed with my first thought.
Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:54 PM
Even on your first post about the issue MY 1st thought was just replace the alternator and be done.The regulator is clearly over charging the system period.I have seldomly ever had a alternator over charge due to worn belts,or bad grounds even though I guess it is possible.Bench testing is great but,if the part getting tested does not fail or duplicate the problem does not mean the part is not faulty.It does happen especially with starters with a dead spot on the solenoid.I would post any more questions about your car over in the 2nd gen forum where more eyes will see it in the future and that includes (anything) in regards to your older J.I am more 1st gen savy but,know a touch on the gen you have.Ron

Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:08 AM
Possibly different size pulleys? Causing one to overdrive the alt and put out 16 volts? I've had to change pulleys on brand new alternator because they were the wrong size.

R.I.P darknstrangecavie
Thursday, February 19, 2015 11:15 AM
Ron Love wrote:Even on your first post about the issue MY 1st thought was just replace the alternator and be done.The regulator is clearly over charging the system period.I have seldomly ever had a alternator over charge due to worn belts,or bad grounds even though I guess it is possible.Bench testing is great but,if the part getting tested does not fail or duplicate the problem does not mean the part is not faulty.It does happen especially with starters with a dead spot on the solenoid.I would post any more questions about your car over in the 2nd gen forum where more eyes will see it in the future and that includes (anything) in regards to your older J.I am more 1st gen savy but,know a touch on the gen you have.Ron

That was my first thought too - bad voltage regulator. Goes to show us you can't trust the bench test!!

darknstrange cavie wrote:Possibly different size pulleys? Causing one to overdrive the alt and put out 16 volts? I've had to change pulleys on brand new alternator because they were the wrong size.

That's interesting, and good to know as well, never thought that they would come with different size pulleys (or never really noticed), but on his, he was already running the old one for a long time then the issue popped up - voltage regulator was tossed.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search