2.2 power limits - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 power limits
Saturday, August 16, 2014 10:07 AM
I've had tons of dead stock 2.2 ohv's in my short lifetime, which prompted me to choose it for my swap into my 86 Fiero. Picked up a 95 Sunfire with 245,000 miles as a donor, and proceeded with all the fun stuff.
I ran it stock for around a year, until it finally gave up and went out in grand, smokey 2.2 fashion.
Now I've got a freshly broken in 2.2 in my 85 Fiero GT and I'm ready to add a turbo, and push the limits of this fantastic little engine.
Biggest thing I'm looking to know, is what kind of power can the rotating assembly handle?
Before I go all out and have a bunch of custom work done, I'd like to have a realistic idea of my limitations.
Any input is welcome.

Re: 2.2 power limits
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:28 PM
Josh Mazur wrote:I've had tons of dead stock 2.2 ohv's in my short lifetime, which prompted me to choose it for my swap into my 86 Fiero. Picked up a 95 Sunfire with 245,000 miles as a donor, and proceeded with all the fun stuff.
I ran it stock for around a year, until it finally gave up and went out in grand, smokey 2.2 fashion.
Now I've got a freshly broken in 2.2 in my 85 Fiero GT and I'm ready to add a turbo, and push the limits of this fantastic little engine.
Biggest thing I'm looking to know, is what kind of power can the rotating assembly handle?
Before I go all out and have a bunch of custom work done, I'd like to have a realistic idea of my limitations.
Any input is welcome.

Claims have been made that the bottom end is good for 400hp but it's only a claim. However, there are a number of folks on the site making 300+ hp. The question is how much and for how long, not just how much.

dennis
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:51 PM
2.2 in a fiero? That's an odd swap since the sky is the limit with a fiero. I swapped a 3400 in mine.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:49 AM
Stock Pistons are ok till around 300.

I wouldn't go more than like 275 though on stock Pistons

I think all the higher power builds are forged parts.

Stock crank and block are stout though.

Throw in forged pistons and rods and you can take it to the moon lol

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:59 AM
I went with the 2.2 mainly because of my budget (net loss on the entire swap was about $150) but also because it's a severely underestimated, lightweight, powerplant. V6's and V8's tend to throw the car off balance compared to an I4.
Plus, as far as I know, I now have the only 2.2 Ohv Fiero in existence.
Anyways
Haven't really been able to do much as of late, as soon as I finished mounting my turbo my ecm chipset took a dump. I've got a new chip coming today, and should be able to go and dyno it soon enough.
I'm only shooting for around 200-230 until I can upgrade to forged components and a bigger turbo.
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it
Thursday, December 11, 2014 8:09 AM
Rob Dotterer wrote:2.2 in a fiero? That's an odd swap since the sky is the limit with a fiero. I swapped a 3400 in mine.

We've got a bunch of Fiero guys here, my boss has an '85 with a built 2.8, we have some 3.4 guys, 4.9 guys, one 5.7, and we've got one guy with an '84 and he swapped a series II 3800 and turbocharged, he's making about 600 at the wheels conservatively.
Fiero guys are really a great community though, everywhere you go.
Saturday, February 28, 2015 6:58 AM
Your ohv head will blow a gasket for sure with higher compression , those engines are notoriously unreliable and gave GM a bad rap pre 2003!

BLACKMANTIS
Saturday, February 28, 2015 7:20 AM
2.2 ohv head gaskets blow with high compression?

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search