New 03 Cavy, with only 65k miles! - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
New 03 Cavy, with only 65k miles!
Friday, April 03, 2015 6:24 AM
Hi everybody! I needed a "family" car(4 doors) with AC and some Good MPG because i have a baby on the way. Lucky for me, i found this bueaty for only $2500! Its a 2003, with only 65k miles! It was owned by an old lady that kept it in her garage 95% of the time. Has all its GM matienace records recorded. Litterally NO issues what so every, inside and out(Other than a TINY crack on the dash, and the car makes a poping sound in the dash when the AC is on resirculate.) I went ahead and Changed the spark plugs, full synthetic oil, and changed the Thermostate(was a F#@$ing pain!), and put some new Dexcool in aswell. I plain on only doing a few minor things since its my new Daily Driver. I Ordered a K&N air filter, some Megan Coilovers and some window Rain guards. I plan on buying HID's, and some 17 or 18" Wheels for it aswell.
Attachments
11078111_366053206929825_4982340713077088660_n.jpg (118k)

Re: New 03 Cavy, with only 65k miles!
Friday, April 03, 2015 6:51 AM
Nice - looks brand new.

Welcome to the forum.

Friday, April 03, 2015 6:54 AM
Wow that thing is clean as hell. Reminds me a lot of my first J before I wrecked it.
Friday, April 03, 2015 7:09 AM
Awesome deal. If you didn't like changing the thermostat in this car, try a 2.4 LD9 motor in the previous years' z24 models..

Since you're on the maintenance kick, I strongly strongly suggest you check the records you have for the timing chain tensioner. If it has been been replaced definitely do this and the motor will last you forever. There was a revision to the old style tensioner used in these earlier year ecotec motors that has a tendency to fall apart and allow the motor to eventually skip timing and bend valves. This may seem like a daunting task but the replacement procedure is actually very easy thanks to a clever design by opel when the first ecotecs were made. Also make sure to buy the AC Delco tensioner, as opposed to the autozone/advance auto/other parts store brand. Some haven't had trouble with the later but some have.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, April 03, 2015 8:16 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I will look into that asap! I was wondering if any of you guys run the dexcool, I've been reading some horror stories online about it...making me regret putting it in after my radiator flush.
Friday, April 03, 2015 8:22 AM
It's fine for you since you have an aluminum block. It's the iron block guys that have issues because it doesn't contain the lubricants that ethelyne glycol based antifreezes do. Therefore dexcool tends to rust iron block motors from the inside out. I've flushed many 60° v6 or ln2 motors of pure brown sludge for coolant. I converted both my previous ln2 cars to ethelyne glycol and never had an issue. The only downside is that dexcool supposedly lasts longer without needing replaced.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search