Returning to j body ownership - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Returning to j body ownership
Tuesday, January 05, 2016 7:59 PM
well i just acquired a 1999 cavalier off of a friend . it has been sitting in his driveway for around a year and he was tired of it so i traded him for a modem and a weed eater push mower. it needs motor mounts and various other stuff but its a solid project engine runs good tranny shifts good. the body is in fairly good shape. these are pics from the day i got her home.

Re: Returning to j body ownership
Tuesday, January 05, 2016 8:04 PM

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 8:31 PM
she is the 2.2 stock base model which i actually prefer. crank windows the ac is non functional the po before my friend changed the moter in her an messed up the lines for the ac. but thats ok with me im going to basically do an ac delete don need no stinkin ac. she aint gonna be my daily driver for awhile so she is in my garage atm where i can work on her at leisure. not a bad car for essentially 25 bucks cost which is what the stuff i ftradfed my friend for her costed me.
Wednesday, January 06, 2016 8:27 PM
I like how they invested in another donut tire when you could of just got one from PNP for a little bit more.

Least it aint all rusted out! Did they ever do the fuel pump?
Friday, January 08, 2016 2:54 PM
i do not know if it has i would imagine probably not. i did just find it has a water leak from a bad water pump seal but that will be an easy enough fix glad its not a 2.4.
Friday, January 08, 2016 5:03 PM
Congratulations Randy on a great deal. I have a 2000 cavalier, just turned 116,000 miles, and I would not trade it for nothing. Everybody talks about them being a cheap built car. Well, I have a 2013 Ford I bought in 2014, and if GM built another 2000 cavalier today, I would be at the lot early in the morning to trade a Ford for it. The cavalier is a working man's practical daily driving car. Cheap to drive and maintain. And you can work on one easily. My focus has a transmission that is from hell. You can believe that I will be trading it soon. Good luck on your project, and keep us updated!
Friday, January 08, 2016 6:18 PM
this is my 3rd j body my first was a 95 sunfire 4 door. that one is long dead. my second jbody was a 91 cavalier which my father owns now and it is rusty but runs like a top. when i went to get this one my friand said that it would run for a few mins then die, So i went expecting to have to tow it home and she started right up an ran just fine i dunno if the fuel pump is having issues or if it was some other issue but thus far ive not been able to recreate the dying issue. im definatly happy to have another j body tho. and once it is fixed up ittl def save me in gas prices over my current daily driver a 1994 ford econoline e150 conversion van tho i do love that beast its not the greatest for my 20 mile each way daily work commute

Thursday, January 14, 2016 6:59 AM
Haha, at first glance I thought you said you traded him for a modem and weed lol.

But seriously, ANY car that you can trade a few inexpensive household items for AND be able to drive home is an amazing deal any day. Props on that find and good luck!
Friday, January 15, 2016 2:40 AM
I ordered a new waterpump and non ac belt. If it will just get above freezing here maybe i can get sum work dun on her.
Monday, February 01, 2016 7:38 PM
well it seems it was a short return to j body ownership. today i traded the cavalier for an x body a 1981 chevrolet citation x11 to be exact. its in alot better condition than the cavalier was an its 4 speed manual and has the 2.8 ho v6
Thursday, February 04, 2016 8:11 PM
That is a rare car these days even in the junkyards.There is a member on our 1st gen board who owns a Very cherry X11 and he is very savy with these.If it were me I would share this on our 1st gen forum as most of the older guys myself included do dig the history of the older gm stuff.I would take more pics of the car like inside,engine and overall body condition.Granted not a j but,we on the 1st gen board are fine with the odd gm stuff not related.Plus if you need some 2.8 pointers we all can help you in that dept.I see it needs some tlc but HEY it is a 1981 and still moves!

Saturday, February 06, 2016 1:01 PM
I saw that X-11 posted on FaceBook !! and commented too....

Good luck with it!! keep it on the road!!

Terry

87 RS Convertible - 2.8V6 - 3-Speed Auto, Digital Dash - Complete LED / HID Conversion - Alarm/Keyless Entry
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search