Lowering help? - Newbies Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lowering help?
Thursday, October 20, 2016 7:30 AM
Looking to lower my 2005 cavalier LS.

Wanting a 2" drop all the way around.

Not wanting cheap eBay crap, or a hard/stiff ride.

I'm new to this, and wanting help, because most of the links on here on jBody are dead.

Any advice on a kit or new springs & stuts/shocks would be awesome.

As my car has roughly 94k on it with all factory suspension, everything needs replaced, so I need shocks/struts & springs, and whatever else I may need with it. (completed replacement)

Re: Lowering help?
Friday, October 21, 2016 5:48 AM
Bc racing coilovers will be the best bang for your buck.

Saturday, September 08, 2018 4:22 AM
I looked into bc racing coils as I saw your msg about them and had no luck finding a lowering kit for 05 sunfire I got one in near mint condition with 159 on it so why not lower it out rims on it and make it look nicer but can't find anything worth buying for a lowering kit I'd like the whole set up, I.E struts coils and any other parts needed for lowering and would like to drop 2" maybe 2.5" any help would be greatly appreciated
Saturday, September 08, 2018 10:49 PM
95-05 cav/sunfire has all the same suspension parts minus certain years had no sway bars. Struts/springs/mounts all the same

ReD RaiN
Friday, March 06, 2020 1:42 PM
What up Family, hope y'all welcome me into this life openly and can shape me into a J-body brother.

I have a lot to ask but right now om interested in lowering my Cavie, which by the way has been nickname for future appearances
Project"Cavie-R", long story but ill tell it later.
I bought a set of 2" drop springs from a guy off of offer up that he said were compatibly wit my Cavie. or so he said now i see he was just trying to get rid of them cu these things didn't drop my car but lifted it and they didn't sit right on the top and bottom seats of struts or shocks. now i got a freaking 4 wheel drive Cavie.
Anyways my question is can i cut my springs and use them temporarily till i can save up enough cash to get coil-overs or at least get approved to finance them. And if i can can anyone tell me the proper or best way to measure and cut the springs so that i don't harden the springs or make them weaker. or can i buy cheap springs already made for 2" drop for my Cavie? And wit Drop springs do i have to get struts and shocks that will fit with the drop springs or or i use my factory set?

Thanks again for accepting into this new Family
CYNZ15
San Antonio, TX
Friday, March 06, 2020 9:43 PM
I would never cut any springs. Id jus wait till u have the cash. Most springs will work with most struts however certain coilovers may need minor modding. I wouldnt use stock struts with lowering springs. There is a kit i believe its called proline from eibach that are designed to be used with oem struts. If u want a lower drop then u need to replace the struts that will handle it. Ie: koni yellows seem to be a good choice

ReD RaiN
Tuesday, March 10, 2020 3:54 PM
T!M8!T wrote:I would never cut any springs. Id jus wait till u have the cash. Most springs will work with most struts however certain coilovers may need minor modding. I wouldnt use stock struts with lowering springs. There is a kit i believe its called proline from eibach that are designed to be used with oem struts. If u want a lower drop then u need to replace the struts that will handle it. Ie: koni yellows seem to be a good choice
No lowering springs work properly on J-body cars with factory struts. Even the ProKit from Eibach. The reason is that all lowering springs have a higher spring rate than the factory ones, and OEM, or even aftermarket OEM replacements like Monroe Sensatrac, which are supposed to be upgraded, aren't valved to handle the increased spring rate, so you get a very bouncy ride.

KYB AGX are the cheapest struts you can buy that handle any kind of increased spring rate, and those aren't all that great. Tokico D-Specs or HP "Blues", both of which are now discontinued, are complete struts that will handle lowering springs. Koni yellows (complete shocks for the rear, cartridge inserts for the front) are the best.

Other than that, KW, Tein, or BC coilovers are your options. All of these are complete setups with threaded body shocks/struts and performance springs.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search